Thread: SpeedTree

10+ Year Old Account

SpeedTree

I HAVE to share this. It's awe inspiring.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedTre.../0/6MDGt9XNS7Y
    The program is called SpeedTree. It was used to create the trees in Avatar, along with a variety of games. I was absolutely blown away by this video. It almost looks better than real life. :O
    Anywoo, just thought I'd share this with the community.

Deleted
    Damn... This makes wows trees looks like minecrafts trees..

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure a lot of home computers would have a seizure trying to render this the way it's depicted in the video.

They're really pretty!

Deleted
    give a few years, thats what game will be like..

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    I'm pretty sure a lot of home computers would have a seizure trying to render this the way it's depicted in the video.

They're really pretty!
    No, not really. Some games already use this technology, for example, Homefront does.

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks awesome.
    There's another similar program that generates large amounts of very realistic foliage (forests and fields) called GroundWiz. I'm mentioning it because you can download it to see how much it cripples your system. They have a benchmarking/demo called "Gugila GroundWiz RTS 2.1" available and It's pretty taxing on even the best systems... Sandybridge w/ 500 series Nvidia gets like ~15 FPS depending on the resolution. I found the benchmark at Guru3d.com.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. That does look pretty freakin' nice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks pretty nice.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Oblivion actually used Speedtree. Too bad it makes 'em look like garbage when they're far away. This looks like a good update to the middleware though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to mess with it but it's stupidly expensive. *No allusion to pirating here, as I couldn't find it, and I wouldn't anyway.*

10+ Year Old Account
    Synthaxx you could try the GroundWiz bench/demo on that beast! Here, I'll make it easy:
    http://www.gugila.com/products_gwrts.php

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's really 2D looking when you have tessellation off... this software heavily utilizes tessellation. I don't find it nearly that bad and I think it's generations in quality above WoW's foliage, or nearly any game's foliage. The close-up textures aren't really the star of the show and I think it's more about the realism in the way the grasses and leaves/branches sway in the wind and also how infinite fields or forests can be generated with a seemingly infinite draw distance due to the mechanics of only needing low complexity at far distances and massively increasing complexity as objects get close enough to observe that level of detail. It reminds me a lot of Nvidia's Endless City demo, except focusing on nature and realism rather than futuristic industrialism.

The benchmark and demo are jerky for me too, but I figured it's because I get pretty low FPS, and considering I have a i5 2500K and GTX 560 that's something I wouldn't expect to see on this system. I don't think it's a very well optimized program, but I still think it looks good. Although, the program doesn't look nearly as good on my system as it does in their demo video they have on their website and on youtube. They probably recorded it with a Quaddro or some kind of professional GPU.
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-04-11 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    give a few years, thats what game will be like..
    idd lets hope we live to see it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    HOLY.... that program would probably break my 9800 GT. XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water