Thread: Anti-Virus

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Anti-Virus

Recommend me a good, free and easy to use anti-virus please Currently using Avast but I want to try something else.

So what do you use or recommend?

Cheers,

Nidor
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

Im using "Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus" atm

Works good for me^^
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD

Microsoft Security Eseentials http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secur...s/default.aspx

No registration, no advertisements, no bullshit, no cost, and very very fast.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's free, effective and uses very few resources on your computer.

The scan is also very good. It scans ALL your files when taking a comprehensive scan. Most other AV scans are optimized to skip certain files, therefore not searching everything. It does take longer, but you get a much better result.

Deleted
    I use Avira AntiVir -personal edition as well and have done for years.

It's smooth, it's simple and never caused any issues or conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Microsoft Security Eseentials http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/secur...s/default.aspx

Basically this. It's a particularly good anti-virus.

Deleted
    I used avira until recently then I switched to MSE to give it a try. Both are good and fast, MSE just feels lighter and you don't get the occasional add like the free version of avira does.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

This one works pretty well, it caught a virus floating around in FF14 torrents, and disabled it asap, which I was very glad about. fing ff14 beta....

I concur with Microsoft Security Essentials, it's really one of the best free Anti-Viruses out there. It doesn't intrude, adds no time to your boot time and file transfers and the like, it's also pretty quick at scanning after the initial scan.

There are downsides, though. One downside is that it has no e-mail scanning abilities, but if you're careful about your e-mail, you shouldn't need it. Another downside is it's pretty low on overall options, which is the major drawback for being so lightweight. However, it does catch just about everything you can throw at it, including zero-day attacks. Couple it with Windows Defender or another good anti-spyware/malware program, and relatively common sense surfing, you're good to go.

However, I have to say something about paying for an anti-virus suite. There are two that are just incredible suites and completely worth the money. They are Kapersky 2011 and BitDefender 2011. Fast, efficient, chock full of options for all skill levels. I highly recommend either. On that note, the new Norton 2011 is pretty damn good, too. They've done a good job of reshaping their image and is no longer a resource pig, though the interface is NOT for beginners or intermediates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avast and MSE are the only one's I would trust

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay thanks for the input! Will try the MSE out! /bookmarked for future reference too
    Quote Originally Posted by overcaffeinated View Post
    I don't get why people like you feel they need to chime in and tell the OP how useless his post was. If it was that useless why did you spend your 2 minutes to craft a response instead of 2 seconds to hit your "back" button?
    I7-4770K, ASUS Maximus VI Formula, SLI EVGA GTX780Ti, AX1200, Kingston V300 240GB, watercooled!

Is Microsoft also for spyware / malware, or whatever? If not, what do you use for that? Free or paid?

Microsoft Security Essentials
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    Is Microsoft also for spyware / malware, or whatever? If not, what do you use for that? Free or paid?
    It's just about everything. A fantastic piece of software. I wouldn't really go with something that's paid, you can get high-qaulity protection without needing to pay 30 bucks a month. MSE and use Malwarebyte's AntiMalware here and there for a sweep and you should be perfectly alright.

Cheers, I'll go with those two then!

not quite but close...comodo av is free nothing will get off your comp..including wow..uncheck sandboxing..i also use comodo dragon browser ..dont use their dns servers...

that and Ccleaner is all i use now and i've severly lots of avs

10+ Year Old Account
    I would've recommended AVG Free two months ago, but after one particular update it started to say my files have viruses and started to quarantine some things that shouldn't be. So I looked it up and found these .heur files are just suspicious files, but still, I found it weird that AVG was not detecting anything for about 1 whole year now, until that one update. So instead of panicking and follow what AVG recommended (to delete). I uninstalled AVG, downloaded Avast and its free. I ran a full computer scan after updating definitions and versions and it found nothing. To be on a safer side, I even ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, IObit Security 360, Windows Defender, and Ad-Aware and all these programs didn't find anything that AVG found. Therefore I concluded AVG was busted after the update and now I use Avast and its been good. I set it to Gaming mode so it doesn't bother me with notifications unless its serious stuff.