Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Elite=/=elitist. Your definitions refer to elite.

Elite is awesome and what we should all strive to be.

Elitists think they're elite, but aren't, and waggle their epeens in front of us lowly plebians whenever they can.
    This post almost nailed it. The only thing I would add is that elite and elitist are not mutually exclusive. You could have all sorts of world firsts and the top gear on your server (elite), but if you are a jerk to other players and aren't interested in helping anyone else improve themselves you are probably an elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortisia View Post
    Just to remind you elitist =! elitist jerk mkay?
    Not sure I agree. Elitists by definition have a sense of entitlement. If you feel you are entitled to something that others are not then you are a jerk.

Note: there is some level of entitlement inherit to the game. For example you don't have a sense of entitlement because you think only people that complete 'Glory of the Cataclysmic Raider' should get the 'Reins of the Drake of the East Wind.' You are elitist if you think that other people that have completed 'Glory of the Cataclysmic Raider' don't deserve their reins because they got them later than you did.
    Last edited by TobyKenobi; 2011-04-11 at 10:44 PM.
    Tobyas (85) :: Tobykenobi (85) :: Uruu (85):: Mykka (52)
    <-- All Chars on Ice Since March 2011 -->
    Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

The Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    My idea of an elitist is completely different from the OPs. Actually, it is the complete opposite. Elitists are aggresive, stubborn, cocky, and belittling.

Seeing as how broad the internet is, words like these can not be defined by a dictionary anymore. It's just like how dialects form in languages.
    What do you mean your idea? There is one definition for it. It's not whatever you decide it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    My own math when choosing gear upgrades etc. I have taught probably over 100 people now how to be a successful DK. Etc Etc.
    No, that's not elitism. However, announcing your involvement in training a hundred players (really? why not a thousand) or being a very experienced raidleader (that's what I've noticed you saying in some other thread) is much much closer to the actual meaning of the word. I'm not saying you're lying or anything but from my perspective that looks like shoving your hypothetical coolness down people's throats, even though there are probably tens of thousands of people who have achieved considerably more.

Stroking your ego while not necessarily being good is elitism.

Please don't treat this as an insult. That was a mere observation and I am not saying it's true.
    Last edited by Pokot; 2011-04-11 at 10:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyKenobi View Post
    This post almost nailed it. The only thing I would add is that elite and elitist are not mutually exclusive. You could have all sorts of world firsts and the top gear on your server (elite), but if you are a jerk to other players and aren't interested in helping anyone else improve themselves you are probably an elitist.

Not sure I agree. Elitists by definition have a sense of entitlement. If you feel you are entitled to something that others are not then you are a jerk.

Note: there is some level of entitlement inherit to the game. For example you don't have a sense of entitlement because you think only people that complete 'Glory of the Cataclysmic Raider' should get the 'Reins of the Drake of the East Wind.' You are elitist if you think that other people that have completed 'Glory of the Cataclysmic Raider' don't deserve their reins because they got them later than you did.
    I don't really agree you are a Jerk if you think you're entitled to something better than others if YOU ARE actually better, but then again by my definition I am an elitist.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    Words change, meanings change, even spelling changes. What something means and how it is used is determined by the populace that uses it. Example: Gay - Formerly a word to describe how happy someone was but somehow was turned into another word for homosexuality.
    ^ this

elitist no longer has a positive connotation to it.

no offense, OP, but you clearly have no idea what elitism is. nevertheless, your entire post was one big elitist pile of crap. oh, the irony.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley2ashes View Post
    no offense, OP, but you clearly have no idea what elitism is. nevertheless, your entire post was one big elitist pile of crap. oh, the irony.
    I actually have to stand up for OP here, elitism nowadays truly means being a jerk, but meanings change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortisia View Post
    I actually have to stand up for OP here, elitism nowadays truly means being a jerk, but meanings change.
    It always has, if you yourself want to change the accepted definition then that is up to you.

I tried to make this distinction in a different thread. They seemed to think that because on whichever system they use to measure "better", the ones that rate highly get to treat the ones that rate lowly like shit. Wonderful people really. But if you want to know why people have a negative associate with elitist, that's a good start.

It is amusing that one needs only read a website and parrot the advice given there to be an educated elitist in this game. As such, "elitist" in this case doesn't even imply that you're good. It only implies that you think you are, and that you read the correct opinions and adopt them as your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Omarian View Post
    *PvP*
    4) A person expecting that everyone should know what to do, only speaking of things that are going wrong, going along with high usage of inappropriate language. Mediocre Jerk
    This one, I am rather guilty of this one. But here's the thing. The game has been out for a while. I get frustrated watching Alliance players with --good gear-- (full blues / 2.5k+ resil) doing --shit quality damage-- and not targeting healers. When people only end up with sub 400k-600k damage by the END of a BG, that is what's frustrating. My ELEMENTAL Shaman can pull out over a million in one BG and he's in greens and blues sub 1.2k res and 100k HP (In otherwords, what you'll basically have after dinging 85).

Also, what's irritating is that if I end up playing as a healer, what happens is that I start healing, keep most people alive and we don't end up killing anybody while I run myself out of mana. I've been as so far as to even want to just heal the top DPS and other healers only, as keeping the others alive doesn't help any when they can't CC or deal damage.

Not to mention the mass amount of herd mentality where you ask 2 players to stay at a flag and the whole team runs off when you DO try to provide helpful instruction on winning as a team, or the people who aren't really in the BG to win or contribute and just troll the shit out of whoever is trying to lead.

That's my 2 cents on this issue. It's just plain frustrating.
    I sold out 4 years ago, when I sold to Major League Gaming. And I think you're a troll.
    - Boub

Elitism in wow= thinking because you pull better deeps and are in a progression guild that people should bow before you as if pixels in a game are some sort of measure of who you are as a person.

The asshole elitists are part of the reason i quit. Can't stand being around people who nerd rage in 5 man heroics or even in raid when the group decides to do something goofy. Back in early wrath our main tank used to pull Grob after we downed Patchwerk and were handing out his loot. Seeing him run down the hall and us all panic made it funny. Do that today and you'd get a Gkick.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlocoptor View Post
    This one, I am rather guilty of this one. But here's the thing. The game has been out for a while. I get frustrated watching Alliance players with --good gear-- (full blues / 2.5k+ resil) doing --shit quality damage-- and not targeting healers. When people only end up with sub 400k-600k damage by the END of a BG, that is what's frustrating. My ELEMENTAL Shaman can pull out over a million in one BG and he's in greens and blues sub 1.2k res and 100k HP (In otherwords, what you'll basically have after dinging 85).

Also, what's irritating is that if I end up playing as a healer, what happens is that I start healing, keep most people alive and we don't end up killing anybody while I run myself out of mana. I've been as so far as to even want to just heal the top DPS and other healers only, as keeping the others alive doesn't help any when they can't CC or deal damage.

Not to mention the mass amount of herd mentality where you ask 2 players to stay at a flag and the whole team runs off when you DO try to provide helpful instruction on winning as a team, or the people who aren't really in the BG to win or contribute and just troll the shit out of whoever is trying to lead.

Welcome to club of true Elitist by definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Omarian View Post
    As I did my research to the English definition on the interweb, not the best and most trustworthy, I still came to them having the same origin.
    It might be my shortage of not knowing everything from the English language with all it's meaning. But as far I know it has a very close relation.
    It's also entirely reasonable that in a certain context, the a word is used differently than it may usually be used for.

To whit, in the context of WoW, elitist is all about someone having a lousy, self important attitude. It is in no way related to a player's skill. There are plenty of great players who are unassuming and just do what they do, without looking down on people who aren't as good as them.

A WoW elitist basically thinks they're great, and they know everything, so they aren't shy about telling other people they suck, are nubs or need to l2play. Those people are just useless pr*cks. And we all know people like that. There are plenty here on MMO. Or profess to be that kind of player, though I doubt even half of the people who swagger here on the forums are like that in game.

And TBH, the Wow definition of elitist applies to RL as well. Most people have probably run into the RL equivalent of a WoW elistist. And they're just as big pains in the ass as WoW one are. Worse sometimes, because at least in WoW you can ignore 'em. Sometimes in RL, you're stuck with them.

---

BGs are the worst when it comes to assholes. Most of the time, I just turn off BG chat, so I don't have to listen to nerdragers.
    Last edited by Lord Blackmore; 2011-04-12 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlocoptor View Post

I have to outright lol every time i see someone bring up that someone does sub par damage in a bg. Many times i've done 300-400k damage on my lock, and had high honorable kills and killing blows, and low deaths, while watching "high damage scrubs" with no killing blows, low honorable kills and are leading the bg in deaths. Damage doesn't mean shit when there is a mechanic called heals. I would much rather bring players that do 300-400k damage to a bg that know what to do than block head players who do 1.5 million and just attack whatever is closest, usually the target being healed by a healer out in the open with no one on him.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    I have to outright lol every time i see someone bring up that someone does sub par damage in a bg. Many times i've done 300-400k damage on my lock, and had high honorable kills and killing blows, and low deaths, while watching "high damage scrubs" with no killing blows, low honorable kills and are leading the bg in deaths. Damage doesn't mean shit when there is a mechanic called heals. I would much rather bring players that do 300-400k damage to a bg that know what to do than block head players who do 1.5 million and just attack whatever is closest, usually the target being healed by a healer out in the open with no one on him.
    IMO, BGs aren't about DPS at all. Everyone needs to do some damage, and kill players, of course. But BGs are really about playing smart. There are plenty of BGs where I don't do hardly any DPS because I'm defending something. I could be running around getting KBs and trying to top the charts, but that may not be the best thing to do.

BGs are all about playing smart and a lot less about DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    IMO, BGs aren't about DPS at all. Everyone needs to do some damage, and kill players, of course. But BGs are really about playing smart. There are plenty of BGs where I don't do hardly any DPS because I'm defending something. I could be running around getting KBs and trying to top the charts, but that may not be the best thing to do.

BGs are all about playing smart and a lot less about DPS.
    You stated what i meant to state, but smarter, than you.

The Real Elitists are tanks!!!

You don't have to be nice to be an elitist, just sayin'. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragen View Post
    Words change, meanings change, even spelling changes. What something means and how it is used is determined by the populace that uses it. Example: Gay - Formerly a word to describe how happy someone was but somehow was turned into another word for homosexuality.
    I Agree. This is how it turned out.

Deleted
    According to the dictionary: Elitism is BELIEVING you are superior. Doesn't mean you are.

I think "Elitist" fits perfectly.