Poll: Guild wars 2 or Tera online?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: GW2 or Tera?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    So we're comparing a point and click MMO like wow (gw2) to a action pased much more skill based MMO where you have to aim and dodge manually (tera)? You've got to be kidding if you voted anything but tera online.

Edit: especially if you actually tried guildwars 1.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthets View Post
    So we're comparing a point and click MMO like wow (gw2) to a action pased much more skill based MMO where you have to aim and dodge manually (tera)? You've got to be kidding if you voted anything but tera online.

You've got to be kidding aswell then, look into GW2 properly. You may not aim your spells like Tera, but it brings alot more to the table, unlike Tera which brings nothing new apart from aiming.

Have you seen GW2 compared to GW1, you know they are NOT the same game?

Quote Originally Posted by cineplex View Post
    Then stop going into a TERA / GW2 thread and bringing it up.
    You are the only that is continuing the conversation. Simply do not reply, and it wont go on =)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tera and GW2 combat are pretty similar, the only major difference is GW2 still allows you to target enemies and Tera has a cross hair. You still have to be positioned correctly in order for your melee attacks to hit them and you have to be in ranged for your ranged attacks to hit the target. There is also rolling and dodging out of the way as well. There is no lock on missiles or attacks like WoW or Rift. I don't know what you are trying to say.

For allies, you can't target them so if you want to heal or revive them you need to position yourself right next to them in order to do that.

Also GW2 is a lot different than GW1. You should read up on the game before you starting saying completely false things about it.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-12 at 12:32 AM.

I think GW2 unless something will go horrible wrong. TERA has nothing unique compared to GW2. And GW2 is bringing a lot of new things. Thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    You've got to be kidding aswell then, look into GW2 properly. You may not aim your spells like Tera, but it brings alot more to the table, unlike Tera which brings nothing new apart from aiming.

1) yes and that is why it's so much better since noobs will be spotted so fast and player skill will actually matter.
    2) no not the same game, same creators though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post

I understand you're trying to defend GW2, but don't make yourself look like a fool with such an uninformed post.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same creators of Aion and L2 are making TERA, and Guild Wars 1 was more successful than those in US/EUR, so what are you trying to say?

Also, Tera is a dumbed down version of C9 - Continent of the Ninth.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-12 at 01:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    Same creators of Aion and L2 are making TERA, and Guild Wars 1 was more successful than those in US/EUR, so what are you trying to say?

Also, Tera is a dumbed down version of C9 - Continent of the Ninth.
    And C9 is a dumbed down version of diablo which is a dumbed down version of x game etc etc etc etc, hopeless and silly comment.

Guild wars 1 perhaps had more succes but I tried it, for 1 week and then I gave it up, but hey at least you can jump in guild wars 2, still the same boring few spells setup though.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    C9 is nothing like Diablo, hopeless and silly comment. Diablo is 2.5D and C9 is third person 3D, and is an MMO.

If you actually watch a gameplay video of Tera and C9 side by side, you can see how they are almost the same game. Except C9 doesn't have a cross hair, so I guess that means it requires more skill.

I think TERA looks good, and will appeal to a lot of people, but saying its combat is something amazingly new, is complete garbage. And trashing GW2 with incorrect information is also garbage.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-12 at 01:36 AM.

Deleted
    C9 is nothing like Diablo, hopeless and silly comment. Diablo is 2.5D and C9 is third person 3D, and is an MMO.

If you actually watch a gameplay video of Tera and C9 side by side, you can see how they are almost the same game. Except C9 doesn't have a cross hair, so I guess that means it requires more skill.

I think TERA looks good, and will appeal to a lot of people, but saying its combat is something amazingly new, is complete garbage.
    You obviously didnt get the point of the post.... Also since we're talking about games that are yet to be released then why not compare to diable III rather than II. And further more a game being 3 d or 2 d doesn't mean they can't be similar (take the heroes of might and magic serie for an example.)

And nobody said it was amazing new, which again is huge fail of your ability to understand things. I just said it's the thing I look forward to and the thing that makes me chose it over, yet another, click and point mm. And I don't understand why others wouldn't.

Seriously man you should understand the posts before making a fool out of yourself. /sigh

Tera and GW2 combat are pretty similar, the only major difference is GW2 still allows you to target enemies and Tera has a cross hair. You still have to be positioned correctly in order for your melee attacks to hit them and you have to be in ranged for your ranged attacks to hit the target. There is also rolling and dodging out of the way as well. There is no lock on missiles or attacks like WoW or Rift. I don't know what you are trying to say.

For allies, you can't target them so if you want to heal or revive them you need to position yourself right next to them in order to do that.
    Yeah, I don't think a lot of people have looked into GW2 enough to realize this. GW2 combat will function very similarly to TERA, while being "less" of a grind-game. ArenaNet also has the "decency" to avoid using sex as a marketing tool.

I may give TERA a try, but it will only be to pass time waiting for GW2 to come out.

Deleted

Also GW2 is a lot different than GW1. You should read up on the game before you starting saying completely false things about it.
    So you have to be in melee to melee, and in range to use ranged weapons that's both new and interesting oh wait it's exactly the same as wow, as for the targeting from what I can see in the trailers and such the only thing you have to target is aoe's which also happens to be in wow already. Sorry I can't see how the combat system differs from wow at all from trailers and gameplay videos.

While it's easy to see in tera, I wonder either you are lying or they are making some very very poor trailers for guildwars 2 either can be true of course.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you aren't in range the spell still goes off, but doesn't hit the target, how is that the same as WoW. If you aren't looking directly at the enemy and use a skill, it won't him them. WoW you must target something to use the skills, in GW2 you don't. Hence the only difference is cross hair between Tera and GW2, you don't even need to target the enemy if you don't want to as a melee class. You can just go up to it and use your skills and as long as you are looking in the right direction, that attack will hit. You also said you can't roll in GW2 when you can.

Your the one looking like a fool, the combat is nothing like WoW, play a demo and get your facts straight. You are going to watch a video and make comments? Nice, but I have played both games.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-12 at 02:07 AM.

the mechanics are an aside for me. i'll probably play both of them.

as long as a game doesn't have ffxiv combat, it's going well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think tera combat will be unbalanced, like ampd mentioned if you're melee you simply have to stand in front of a target, if you're a caster or ranged you have to aim, idk how that could be balanced.
    Also I've found that i'm not a big fan of eastern mmo's

GW2 definitely. Though TERA looks interesting, and I will give it a try if there are free trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziga View Post
    I think tera combat will be unbalanced, like ampd mentioned if you're melee you simply have to stand in front of a target, if you're a caster or ranged you have to aim, idk how that could be balanced.
    Also I've found that i'm not a big fan of eastern mmo's
    IIRC melee attacks have a charge/swing time. It's not instant like wow, so you can actually get out of the LOS. Don't quote me on that though :P
    Can't spell 'NICE BALANCE' without Ice Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthets View Post
    So you have to be in melee to melee, and in range to use ranged weapons that's both new and interesting oh wait it's exactly the same as wow, as for the targeting from what I can see in the trailers and such the only thing you have to target is aoe's which also happens to be in wow already. Sorry I can't see how the combat system differs from wow at all from trailers and gameplay videos.

While it's easy to see in tera, I wonder either you are lying or they are making some very very poor trailers for guildwars 2 either can be true of course.
    It's not that they're making "very poor trailers." It's that you blatantly haven't done much research on GW2. In GW2, a spell doesn't check for a target, doesn't check to see if that target is in range, a dice isn't rolled to see if the spell will hit, and the spell isn't locked onto the target once launched. Rather, a spell can be used with or without a target, though there's auto-targeting in the game; and once it's launched, the enemy can dodge it, the enemy's friend can get in front of him to protect him, and so on.

In addition to all the above, there's no allied-targeting in GW2. Support is part of combat, and in GW2 that's shifted entirely to the actual field; you don't hover your mouse along a raid/party UI.

If you really can't see how GW2's combat system differs from WoW's, you're being willfully blind.

I'll be giving both a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Naughts Skyway View Post
    ArenaNet also has the "decency" to avoid using sex as a marketing tool.
    Not quite true. Sex as in actual sex then yeah, they don't use that. They do have females with porcelain faces and the majority of the female armor is skimpy as all hell. There have been numerous threads on Guru asking/begging for some armor equalization between the females and males since the females versions are often bra and panties or see through night gowns in some cases versus the males winter coats. Look to GW1 for how bad the armor differences are between the males and females. Same with the face chooses were males could have defects on the face and the female faces, even for necros were males had missing eyes, were all smooth and perfect. The only exception to this was a Nightfall warrior face, that one female face had a little itty bitty scar that is hard to notice. The only real exception was the male paragon because of the theme of the class, but even then the females had bakini tops (Male Ritualist had dye covering the skin that would have been shown and the females still had street corner hooker armor)

Some of the worst:
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Elementalist_armor

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mesmer_armor

Look at Arena Net's online store armor. From two different purchasable sets, the male armor is identical and the female armor is drastically different. A third set gives the females a completely different armor look and the males is identical to the previous two with the exception of a belt, a shawl, a crooked extension on the coat tails, and there badly done cut & paste to make the hat a smidgen taller.

Twin male armor:
    1) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Formal_Attire
    2) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dapper_Tuxedo

Slightly altered version:
    1) http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wedding_Couple_Attire

10+ Year Old Account
    The sexism is not nearly as bad as in tera though