Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by r3nd View Post
    *snipped to help reduce size see page 9*
    Torian101 pretty much took the words out of my mouth, so its all fake and thousands of people in this world are all in on the conspiracy just to be treated 'special'?
    Kids that don't even know what these illnesses are, they're sitting there going "I'm going to act like this to be special"
    Every single one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by verhoef3 View Post
    You're not making our generation sound any smarter
    I'm not attempting to, I openly admit that the majority of our generation are numbskulls...
    why sugar coat it?

Quote Originally Posted by Neganova View Post
    I think what he meant was... doctors seem to have procured a whole bunch of "mental illnesses" that we all seem to suffer from - when in reality, we're all just perfectly fine, more or less.
    As I have said, Medicine and therefor doctors ability to diagnose things has advanced a (pardon my french) metric sh*t ton in the past 50 or so years...
    We have unlocked things that 'back in the day' would have been scoffed at, we can do so much more now then we could then.
    its not surprising that we would learn to understand issues our bodies had that we didn't understand before, if we couldn't make that progress we would have died out much sooner then we will, we would probably already have died out, but through advances in medicine we can now identify and treat these conditions...

*edit*

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWaffle View Post
    In my day we kicked each other as hard as we could in the balls to sabotage the next generation
    So its all cause of YOU then!!!! O_O
    I now understand!
    Last edited by KeirAdish; 2011-04-14 at 03:35 AM.

I think most kids are extremely lazy and idiots. i am also in some ways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neganova View Post
    I think what he meant was... doctors seem to have procured a whole bunch of "mental illnesses" that we all seem to suffer from - when in reality, we're all just perfectly fine, more or less.
    ADD, ADHD or Dyslexia aren't mental illnessess though. I think they label them as neurological conditions and not actual mental illnessess.

I got labelled with depression & borderline personality disorder when I got laid in for the first time after a suicide attempt. DBT has helped me enormously when it comes to handling life although I still have my up and downs, they're not as severe as before.

Anyone in ur generation that has played amiga/commadore64 and the first console games is cool. The rest of you gtfo!
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

To be fair, most of the OP's generation are still kids.

Until the mid-20s, people are (mentally) not yet adults. It's when people need to get jobs, pay for their own rent, plan their own meals, etc etc etc. Basically, until you have to live on your own, you're not yet an adult.

It will be interesting, in about 10 years time, to see how these same individuals have changed. Will they still be the lazy instant gratification crowd? Or will they have matured into adults? Only time can tell. May every deity help us if the former is the future.
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

I recommend reading the book The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future by Mark Bauerlein. It's an interesting read and, even if I don't agree with all of it, there is much to be taken from it. I had to read this for my English 111 class; it definitely brought up a few questions about our current generation, as well as the faults of previous generations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Nop I haven't ... France always managed to win the wars ...

Edit: well, you know, kinda.

I'm 26 and I feel I was at the end of mine and saw the start of the new one. Honestly I think its the same thing. I don't care who you are but when you were a teenager there was someone telling you how it was. When you got older you were telling someone else how it was. When you get older you'll tell more people how it was. The only thing that changes is the fashion and the music the attitude is still there always rebelling/trying top the people before you. I'm young enough to remember where you are now and old enough to tell you that no matter how hard you try things change. Look at the people 5-6 years younger than you are and know one day they are going to make you extremely irritated but know that one day they will wear those same shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    ADD, ADHD or Dyslexia aren't mental illnessess though. I think they label them as neurological conditions and not actual mental illnessess.

I got labelled with depression & borderline personality disorder when I got laid in for the first time after a suicide attempt. DBT has helped me enormously when it comes to handling life although I still have my up and downs, they're not as severe as before.
    The problem with disorders like ADD and psychiatry in general is that many people who are entering the field are really only interested in med management. You see a lot more patients because you spend a lot less time with them. Some can easily make $500 to $1,000 more a day by doing this and it attracts the wrong type of people. This sadly justifies some of the eroding trust people have towards the field.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Every generation thinks the previous and next generations have no clue about anything.
    That's only really true of this generation, because of the major technology boom. The generation above (parents) actually relate fondly to the knowledge of the generation above them, more often than not.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

It is due to society and technology, enabling future generations with an easier/lazier lifestyle. Back in my parent's days (60's) they had to walk to the library to find information. Today? Google. Back then you had to know so many "essential things" like how to change a tire or whatever. Today, those things are no longer required. Flat tire? Cellphone, call AAA. Help me, I'm lost and I don't know how to get to ____. Hey, let's use a Thomas Guide, oh wait, I have a GPS.

The farther technology advances, the less amount of skill/knowledge we need.

A personal example of this would be to mail letters. I have never mailed a letter by myself to anyone, ever. Why? I have email. I also have never used a pay phone because I got my first cell phone when I was 12 or 13.
    Last edited by Entropic; 2011-04-14 at 08:45 AM.

I will have to disagree. I am also 17 years old. I'm fluent in 3 languages, divemaster, work during of school hours (in a pizza place), and finishing my A-levels. Besides those I contribute to society in a variety of ways and so do my friends. We are individuals and we have an opinion literally about everything, often disagreeing with each other, which is based on the facts that we know and personal research. Every generation has its idiots, but it also has its genius, and no im not saying either me or my friends are genius. But our generation is definitely not worse than previous if not better.
    Although the majority might be a little spoiled.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulvar View Post
    The problem with disorders like ADD and psychiatry in general is that many people who are entering the field are really only interested in med management.
    I guess. My experience of people with ADD/ADHD is that they expect to be treated different compared to "the normals". Had some kid back at school which ADHD and he was fighting with people a lot, one day two guys had enough and gave him a pretty bad beating and they got scrutinized for retaliating, the kid had ADHD after all and he couldn't help it. :/