Dark Age of Camelot

My friend started this game about a month ago, and he is raving about how great the game is and amazing the PVP is and how much better it is than WoW. Does anyone here play it or has played it? How is it, do you recommend playing it now?

I've heard a lot of people rave about it's PVP balancing, but never in the present tense. I had always assumed the game was long dead.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

DAoC was a great game. That's all I can remember
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

I played it in its prime and it was a good game. I've got a friend that reopens his account for it every once in a while but I think he just gets that nostalgic feeling, opens his account, then gets bored after a few days.

In the early days it was the best MMO I had, and still have date, ever played. RvR is the best PvP system. Game was a masterpiece. I tried to stick through ToA but it was just awful. Tried to come back an expansion or two later but never regained that spark. I do know some people that still play, and I kinda envy them.

RVR battles were legendary (realm vs realm), hundreds in one battle trying to take a castle the other realm had. There were siege weapons to. Imagine WG on a totally different level. Unfortunately their grapgics never really got better and their game play never caught up to the other big players (WoW, EQ) so even though it had a lot of good things, the bad just out weighed the good.

Anytime I think of MMOs, fighting for towns so my guild could buy and sell on Mordred and trying desperately to defend a keep on Nimue fill my brains.
    Why did you have to bring it up!

First mmo I ever played, but it was on my cousins account while i was visiting his house (I was about 11 or 12 and he let me play). I only played about an hour and 10 minutes (maybe got to level 4?) and I've never played the game since, but that little time I did play has never left my memory. I still reflect back upon that experience and would love to get into it, but as far as I know (knew?), the game died out a while ago after EQ and other mmo's launched.

I never cared for DAoC. The PvP was fun, but I always despised the auto-stick feature, and thought that it caused the game to be painfully easy. The RvR stuff and the keep sieges (Oooh, Thid was fun, wasn't it?) were pretty epic, though.

All in all, I would not recommend spending any money on DAoC. It's a decent game, but it is long past it's prime.

Also, to the person talking about fighting over towns... I'm assuming you never got the opportunity to fight over a player-made town in Ultima Online. No rules, no rewards, no levels. Just a bunch of good guys trying to fight off a bunch of bad guys who wanted to kill people in their neighborhood. I will always remember UO as the best world PvP in MMO history.

Actually, I'll always remember it as the best PvP in MMO history, full stop.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember a kid in my dorms playing DaoC when I was in college. He loved it, and played all the time. When WoW came out, he explained that it was like that game. I thought it would be awesome to just be 1 footman in the whole scheme of things. I bought WoW.

6 years later........................