Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

magmaw as a arcane mage ?

Is it possible to do magmaw as a arcane mage ? like, solo target and some blizzard and RoF on CD ?

Deleted
    It's possible, yes. Optimal? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    for optimal i guess... fire ? I never play fire (im a lk player :S)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have some other person worry about the parasites, Arcane is pretty good, even on heroic. Fire might still be better on heroic due to Pyromaniac being up for most of the fight, but I play Arcane on H Magmaw because the burst for 30% to phase 2 is really good and we need a 3% damage buff in 10 man.

If your guild is doing it right, you shouldn't be attacking anything but Magmaw anyway, so yes, Arcane is perfectly fine to use.

(Doing it right = super f'n ez mode of having your ot(warrior pref) tank the adds and kill them himself)

yes you can do it. drop a RoF and PoM a FS and blizz

10+ Year Old Account
    Awsome!!!! i never raid with my new guild ( tranfering next week) before respec. ill chek what class we got on the group, i'd realy love it if i can play arcane, the boost at the head phase is just insane. Usualy we have a hunter kithing the add

---------- Post added 2011-04-12 at 07:34 PM ----------

ty for your help !! ( now i feel better about myself rofl XD)

Yep, even in heroic. If you're not one of the few drawing the meteors or kiting the adds, there's very little movement for the fight. BWD is the best instance for arcane, half the fights arcane is in league with or over fire as the optimal spec.

Honestly, if you're doing it on 10-man, a HUGE reason you as a mage are in the raid is to help with parasites. Especially if your guild isn't super geared or is just starting out, it can be a challenge for 3 ranged to take them down depending on what specs the 3 ranged are. If you now are taking one ranged out of that equation too, you're really making life difficult for the other ranged in your 10 man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Honestly, if you're doing it on 10-man, a HUGE reason you as a mage are in the raid is to help with parasites. Especially if your guild isn't super geared or is just starting out, it can be a challenge for 3 ranged to take them down depending on what specs the 3 ranged are. If you now are taking one ranged out of that equation too, you're really making life difficult for the other ranged in your 10 man.
    Put a warrior tank (or any tank really) on the adds. Let him worry about the adds while you focus on boss.

Actually both are valid tactics. I played (with PUGs, in the guildgroup we always bomb the adds)
    both and they both work. Though especially with PUGs it seems to be hands up with kiting,
    as in PUGs you often have people who do only very low dps and have trouble nuking the adds,
    while if you have some halfways decent dps with AE-capability, this should be no problem.

We actually nuked the adds on our first cata 10-man raid when most of us were still very
    "blue" in the gear (some even with several green items). I guess the other tactics might have
    been less whipes, but in the end it worked even with that (back then) low-geared group.

Class composition is another issue of course. We had in that group 2 firemages and one Frost DK
    if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by xindykawai View Post
    Towards the end of LK fire reigned supreme.

Deleted
    Yep done this on my Arcane spec on my mage - Taking on the adds is simple also have a hunter ice trap - misdirect etc - and run in there spamming Arcane Explosion - be sure you have specced 2 points in Improved Arcane Explosion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuff.20 View Post
    Towards the end of LK fire reigned supreme.
    Not really. Fire was undoubtedly, better, and did produce more DPS, but it also lacked it's current utility and was similar single target DPS as arcane is now.

And the difference between DPS was not 'HAHA, I AM KING OF THE HILL, YOU CAN LICK MY TOES' It was more like 'sup yo, why are you hanging around my shoulders'

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arcane explosion is perfectly viable as long as you don't get aggro on the parasites. And this really shouldn't happen anyways unless someone decides to root the fuckers and go stand in the middle of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    Not really. Fire was undoubtedly, better, and did produce more DPS, but it also lacked it's current utility and was similar single target DPS as arcane is now.

And the difference between DPS was not 'HAHA, I AM KING OF THE HILL, YOU CAN LICK MY TOES' It was more like 'sup yo, why are you hanging around my shoulders'
    Fire did way more damage. Arcane mages bursted up in short fights or at the start of long fights,....but at the end of a long fight, fire damage done used to be way superior.

Either that, or the 4 other mages of my old guild really really sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by xindykawai View Post
    Take it you quit halfway through then when fire became NICE (scale much?)

This thread has bad advice.

Have a frost DK kite the parasites all day, tunnel the boss on normal, kill the Blazing Constructs until his head is up on heroic.

I run arcane on this fight, because popping CDs (gem + AP on the first down, AP on the second, repeat that pattern til boss is dead) during the damage increase means you do the most damage to the head. Period.

If you're going to tank or kite the parasites -- Arcane will work just fine, but if you're chosen to kill them, it might be a good idea to spec Fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    realy good tactic, ill try some out next raid but im ot sur if i am confortable with the arcane explosion thing... will i have the adds on me ? (the debuff thing) My raid leader always said: never go near from them

---------- Post added 2011-04-13 at 01:02 PM ----------

Is actualy a hunter who kite the adds (my husband)