1. #13701
    Hockey is great on TV if you understand the game.

    @ Lilly32 - ESPN used to cover hockey until the '04-'05 lockout.

    Also, NBC has had a game per week for the previous two seasons...typically on a Saturday afternoon. They bought out Versus specifically for the rights to the NHL. NBC is about as major as it gets.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  2. #13702
    Bloodsail Admiral Garbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,009
    NHL will announce cancellation of Winter Classic and All-Star Game on Monday.

  3. #13703
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,917
    You guys hear about this Connor McDavid kid? 15 years old and already being hailed as the next Crosby. Pretty early to be saying that type of stuff but there's footage of him just dangling through first round pick defense men in the OHL.

  4. #13704
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    NHL will announce cancellation of Winter Classic and All-Star Game on Monday.
    At least the All Star game won't be in Columbus where no one gives a shit about hockey.

    But, to be quite honest, I have had it with hockey as a fan. Us fans give and give and give, and the players go out there and risk life and limb for the game they love and the owners of the teams and the league just want to keep taking from everyone else. There is no negotiating involved in the next CBA, either it's going to be Bettman's way or the highway. The funny thing is that the league can't do anything about the players not playing or signing the CBA, if they even attempt to bring in scabs or AHL players (especially those on ELC deals with the NHL), the PA could file a law suit that could potentially put Bettman and company in prison for violating labor laws.

    It's really fucking sad how badly the players are getting treated by the owners and the league. If the league does not want to actually negotiate, the owners can have fun running out of money to pay the leases and rent fees of their buildings and in due time, half the franchises will have owners declaring bankruptcy. Fehr isn't going to let the owners push the players around and he is going to be a resilient representative for the players, and everyone who has been following the labor dispute knows that the owners are taking so much from the players and not giving anything. Hopefully another full season lockout is enough for the owners to fire Bettman, and hopefully a full season lockout (or longer, though I pray not), teaches the owners a lesson in humility and greed. Nothing worse then being a bunch of Mr Scrooge towards every single one of your employees, as well as all the staff who help operate the arena's around the league.

  5. #13705
    Hey guys. You probably already discussed this but I think Islanders are moving to Barclay's Center in Brooklyn with the Nets.

    Are Islanders a good team? I'm not really a hockey guy but I'd be interesting in going to a few games if the tickets are the right price.

    How do I still not have a graphic artist? Wtf do you guys do for a living?

  6. #13706
    No, the Isles are not a good team, they have not build a very competitive core in decades. They are a long way from being a "good" team

  7. #13707
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, the Isles are not a good team, they have not build a very competitive core in decades. They are a long way from being a "good" team
    If the old GM isn't going to be their GM anymore they might be competitive in a decade.

  8. #13708
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,917
    One look at their owner and you just know he's clueless. It's sad because they really could have a decent team with some proper management, JUST KIDDING MIKE MILBURY'D. Poor Tavares too, guy is a monster and will likely never make it to the playoffs. Islanders are in the most difficult division so even if they managed their squad better, they'd still be pretty hard pressed to be beating the teams they have to face regularly. Rick DiPietro seems to be working out for them . Unfortunate situation there, especially for the old timer fans that were around during that dynasty must be really painful to know the current situation of the team. Everytime I read this Top 10 Worst Mike Milbury Trades article, it makes me laugh. Can't believe the players he gave up for Yashin. I think they're still paying for him or just finished paying for him. Poor, poor Islanders.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-10-27 at 05:53 PM.

  9. #13709
    Front page story on NHL.com is The Mighty Ducks movie was created 20 years ago and it's still a classic. Good job NHL. At least there were a couple decent comments that gave me a laugh.

    Eric Williams52 minutes ago
    When a short bald man is keeping the sport that you love away from the world, Ducks Fly Together.
    Jesse6 minutes ago
    when the game you love is being destroyed by a man who has never even played it, Ducks Fly Together

  10. #13710
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    One look at their owner and you just know he's clueless. It's sad because they really could have a decent team with some proper management, JUST KIDDING MIKE MILBURY'D. Poor Tavares too, guy is a monster and will likely never make it to the playoffs. Islanders are in the most difficult division so even if they managed their squad better, they'd still be pretty hard pressed to be beating the teams they have to face regularly. Rick DiPietro seems to be working out for them . Unfortunate situation there, especially for the old timer fans that were around during that dynasty must be really painful to know the current situation of the team. Everytime I read this Top 10 Worst Mike Milbury Trades article, it makes me laugh. Can't believe the players he gave up for Yashin. I think they're still paying for him or just finished paying for him. Poor, poor Islanders.
    Jim Wong is a fucking retard who doesn't know shit about hockey, and the fact that Garth Snow is still employed after however many years of failing to ice a team that is competitive despite having had high draft picks the last few years, proves how bad the Islanders situation really is. The freaking moron let one of their best forwards walk away this past summer just because he didn't want to pay the guy what he was worth, though I doubt anyone wants to be involved with that joke of a franchise these days. I wonder how many years a good player like Tavares is going to stay with the team knowing that there is no future opportunity of winning the Cup. Odds are the Leafs win a Cup before the Islanders do and one would think that within the next couple of years, Tavares will be asking for a trade out of town.

  11. #13711

  12. #13712
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Oh shut the fuck up Ryan Suter. You knew exactly who the Wild's owner was before you signed that contract. He has been crying poor and whining about player salaries for years. If Suter is at all surprised by the current attitude of his owner he is a grade A moron.

  13. #13713
    Hey, Leopold still signed the contract, he approved it, therefor he should be one of those people blamed for the lockout and all these attempts to roll back player salary. There are seriously only a handful of teams that can really be blamed for attempting to roll back salaries, and that is because those teams all signed big name players, or traded for them. While most aren't crying foul financially, and to be honest the only team I could see really thinking that a big ticket long term deal might hurt them a bit financially would be Carolina, but all the other teams are healthy markets.

  14. #13714
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    The NHL is expected to announce on Thursday that it is officially cancelling the Winter Classic.

    If it is indeed cancelled, I think that is really the big sign that we are looking at a full season off or at most 41 games. The NHL is not going to cancel its marquee, dollar printing event unless there is zero hope it can be played. That announcement is basically the tipping point for me from where I am going to go from cautiously optimistic to go fuck yourselves Bettman and Fehr, I'm done.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-10-29 at 07:04 PM.

  15. #13715
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Oh shut the fuck up Ryan Suter. You knew exactly who the Wild's owner was before you signed that contract. He has been crying poor and whining about player salaries for years. If Suter is at all surprised by the current attitude of his owner he is a grade A moron.
    It made me laugh because he knew exactly what he was getting when he signed with Liarpold. Liarpold was his owner when he got drafted in Nashville and everyone including Suter knew how he was. This is exactly the reason Suter has gone from one of the most loved to one of the most despised players in Nashville history. We can all understand him leaving, but we couldn't understand him signing with the very guy responsible for us losing all our good players that Suter bitched about. It wasn't the current ownership that had the fire sale and sold the team, its the very idiot he just signed with.

    I have zero sympathy for Suter, he knew exactly what kind of owner he was dealing with.

  16. #13716
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The NHL is expected to announce on Thursday that it is officially cancelling the Winter Classic.

    If it is indeed cancelled, I think that is really the big sign that we are looking at a full season off or at most 41 games. The NHL is not going to cancel its marquee, dollar printing event unless there is zero hope it can be played. That announcement is basically the tipping point for me from where I am going to go from cautiously optimistic to go fuck yourselves Bettman and Fehr, I'm done.
    Well, at least the Leafs fans here who got tickets will get their 800 dollars back, plus they won't have to drive to Detroit for the games.

  17. #13717
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well, at least the Leafs fans here who got tickets will get their 800 dollars back, plus they won't have to drive to Detroit for the games.
    I hope they refund people for the tickets to the AHL games that were at Comerica that I think they forced people to buy as well.

    I think the worst part of the loss of the Winter Classic is everyone losing the opportunity to see the awesomeness that is Pavel Datsyuk the person on 24/7. No broken English jokes. No ridiculously creepy looks. No stunning plays in practice.

  18. #13718
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    That announcement is basically the tipping point for me from where I am going to go from cautiously optimistic to go fuck yourselves Bettman and Fehr, I'm done.
    For me I've pretty much given up caring at all at this point. Even if they come back, it will be so bitter that I'm not sure how much I'll be able to enjoy it. It's going to take a while.

  19. #13719
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,818
    I'm at the point where I actually might watch fucking basketball. Fuck Fehr, fuck Bettman, fuck the players, fuck the NHL.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  20. #13720
    I won't bother watching hockey whenever play resumes unless Bettman is fired and the Coyotes are eliminated from the league along with a few other teams. Contraction at this point is necessary due to the sheer problems with revenue sharing when it comes to overall league profits and how much money the profitable teams are sinking into keeping other franchises around that need to just die already. Get rid of a few bleeding arms in the league and take that money that was used for revenue sharing and invest it back into the players, teams, safety and setting up a proper pension program for the players for retirement so that they don't have to worry about financial security and having increased salaries.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-10-30 at 08:52 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •