15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, somehow my post didn't get appended. Anyways, I renamed the thread since the playoffs are over. The new title can take us into the 11/12 season. It might be a good idea to start a new thread at that point, but I think some of this thread is still relevant to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Well, in a losing cause Kesler was our best player, even with a torn groin and hip labrum. He wasn't the same after game 2 of the SJ series, he was fantastic in the Blackhawk and Predator series.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 06:41 PM ----------

They need someone like the Edmonton coach imo. But the Leafs were 5 or 6 points out of a play-off spot, if it wasn't for their bad mid-season run they would have made it.
    Eh, a lot of things could have helped out drastically. Buffalo not winning every game where we needed them to lose a couple, Reimer playing from the start of the year, Not going on an eight game losing streak, our captain not getting injured for who remembers who long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Oh, somehow my post didn't get appended. Anyways, I renamed the thread since the playoffs are over. The new title can take us into the 11/12 season. It might be a good idea to start a new thread at that point, but I think some of this thread is still relevant to that.
    well i figure if u just keep renaming it it will become the biggest thread on mmo-c eventually

Going to guess A) 41st season in a row where the Canucks win nothing. B) The oilers hopefully get rid of Khabibulin. C) The Ottawa Senators hopefully stop overpaying defencemen. D) The Canucks stop hiring so many swedes and start hiring people that try hard. E) The Canadiens get some great 3rd liners. Also hope that Ryan Smyth rejoin the Oilers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    well i figure if u just keep renaming it it will become the biggest thread on mmo-c eventually
    Hehe, well I think once the season starts a new thread might be in order.

I'm kinda happy it's done, but I'll miss it in a week or two. All well, I guess it's soccer time for a few months.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    I don't think you've seen that My Little Pony thread going on over in OT/Fun Stuff -- 2560 pages and counting. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...dship-is-Magic!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icenine View Post
    I don't think you've seen that My Little Pony thread going on over in OT/Fun Stuff -- 2560 pages and counting. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...dship-is-Magic!
    I knew that thread was up there, but jesus christ, 2570 pages as of me posting this message. That is some serious brony conversation.

So yeah, UFA's... Bieksa and Salo have went on record saying they'll take paycuts to stay here in Vancouver. It seems like Ehrhoff is going to walk, which was probably going to happen anyway. He's expecting 5-6mill and no way Gillis is going to pay that.
    I remember it all too well

Gotta say I'm loving Boston's offseason situation. The only players who's contracts are up are Marchand, Ryder, and Kaberle. Marchand will almost definitely stay which I'm very happy about. Ryder may very well be gone. I'd like to see him stay, but we will still have a very solid team even without him. It would probably allow Seguin some more ice time, and free up some money. Kaberle I would like to see gone, as long as Kampfer's healthy he can easily step up and take that spot. Although I've been hearing rumors that we might resign Kaberle, obviously at a reduced rate.

One thing that I haven't been hearing much talk about it the Savard situation. As much as I love the guy, I'm thinking he's done. He's still having short term memory loss and just isn't himself. Even if he is better by next season I'd rather not see him put himself at risk again. Another concussion and who knows what will happen. He has something like 8 million (number could be off) tied up with his contract. However, if he retires, that money will get paid off by insurance which will free it up for the Bruins to spend. As sad a situation it is, I think he would be helping the team the most by retiring. I'd hope that we could still find some spot for him in the organization though, he was a great player and a great guy.

If Ryder doesn't get resigned and Savvy retires, that'll free up a sizeable chunk of change for the Bruins to go out and spend, preferably on somebody who can help make our PP a little more dynamic. I'm quite interested to see what happens for us in the offseason. But regardless of what happens, we'll be looking great still. Looking forward to another great season from the B's.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So yeah, UFA's... Bieksa and Salo have went on record saying they'll take paycuts to stay here in Vancouver. It seems like Ehrhoff is going to walk, which was probably going to happen anyway. He's expecting 5-6mill and no way Gillis is going to pay that.
    Ehrhoff is nuts if he thinks he will get 5 million anywhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ya I figured that would be the end result for Ehrhoff. He should easily enough get $4-5 million elsewhere though as a 50-point defensman is pretty damn worthwhile. Not sold on Salo being back, at least not for anything remotely close to what he was making over the last three years (~$3.6m average which is insane for him). The Canucks are already saddled by Ballard's meh contract compared to his production last year and by production I mean wasn't a top 6 D for most of the playoffs. They have 4 D under contract, Bieska would make 5. They could easily get a decent young guy as part of the Schneider trade when they inevitably shift him out of town. I don't know what your farm system is like in terms of a 4-6th D man stepping up, but there are certainly plenty of non-Ehrhoff options out there.

On Schneider, Gillis apparently said "he'll need to be floored, and then have his socks blown clear off, by an offer to consider trading him." I still think they end up moving him because a guy that good making only $900,000 this season and being an RFA next year is an incredibly attractive trade target. If he isn't gone by the draft on Wednesday I would really expect him to be traded to a contender at the trade deadline next year. Not trading your high value assets who you either can't afford to keep or won't be playing in a starting role is just a bad, bad idea. Ask Dallas how that worked out with Richards. They tried to keep him to make a playoff push for the 6-8th seed and a certain first round elimination. What did they get? They missed the playoffs and are now going to lose him and get absolutely nothing in return when they could have gotten a King's ransom for him at the deadline. King capitalized intentionally by the way as apparently there is a lot of Richards to the Kings grumblings. If they can move Ryan Smyth Richards will be in there about an hour later and that team will be fucking scary good next season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    A 50 point defensemen currently in his prime will probably get a 3 year 5 mill contract.

Regarding Schnieder and goaltending in general, I wonder what the Bryzgalov situation is right now? The Canucks need a power forward or someone with decent size/skill too work with the Sedins or Kesler and Philly has a ton of those. I'd give up Schnieder for one.

---------- Post added 2011-06-22 at 01:52 AM ----------

6M is pushing it, but I think he'll find 5M easily. Defencemen like him are a commodity in today's NHL, besides... I wont miss him. Edler is just as if not better than Ehrhoff, unfortunately his back injury fudged him up, otherwise he would have logged 50-60 points too.
    Last edited by Xevan; 2011-06-22 at 01:53 AM.
    I remember it all too well

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So we all didn't get to talk about the draft.

Lol @ the Senators trading for Filatov, that guy is a huge bust.

Leafs had a mediocre draft, was shocked to see Setoguchi get traded a day after being signed by the Sharks and both Carter and Brad Richards being dealt from the Flyers was huge for me. Kinda sad that Burke couldn't acquire Carter, he would have been great to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Figures that MMO-Champion would be down during the good stuff. Oh well.

First of all, the NHL Awards.

Hart Memorial Trophy, MVP - Corey Perry, Anaheim
    Vezina Trophy, goaltender - Tim Thomas, Boston
    James Norris Memorial Trophy, defenseman - Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit
    Calder Memorial Trophy, rookie - Jeff Skinner, Carolina
    Frank J. Selke Trophy, defensive forward - Ryan Kesler, Vancouver
    Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, most gentlemanly - Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay
    Jack Adams Award, coach - Dan Bylsma, Pittsburgh
    King Clancy Trophy, humanitarian contribution to hockey - Doug Weight, N.Y. Islanders
    Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, perserverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey - Ian Laperriere, Philadelphia
    ---
    Art Ross Trophy, points scoring leader - Daniel Sedin, Vancouver
    Maurice Richard Trophy, goal-scoring leader - Corey Perry, Anaheim
    William M. Jennings Trophy, goalies with fewest goals against, minimum 25 games - Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider, Vancouver
    ---
    Ted Lindsay Award, outstanding player - Daniel Sedin, Vancouver

(Formerly called the Lester B. Pearson Award)

Second, Winnipeg has officially called their team the Jets. They will change the logo from the original Jets, but have some similarities.

Third, Red Deer's Nugent-Hopkins picked first in Draft by the Edmonton Oilers.

Fourth, Philadelphia traded captain Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bryzgalov signing to Flyers wasn't a huge surprise, them trading Carter and Richards for prospects/draft picks was a huge surprise though. Clearly the Cup isn't on the Flyers mind.
    Kings could be a contender for quite a few years with this trade.
    Last edited by Irony; 2011-06-26 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Bryzgalov signing to Flyers wasn't a huge surprise, them trading Carter and Richards for prospects/draft picks was a huge surprise though. Clearly the Cup isn't on the Flyers mind.
    The cup is on the Flyer's mind, just not for next season. Long time Rangers fan here, so naturally I hate the Flyers, but I respect what they're doing because the Rangers are doing the same. They're getting young guys and building from the bottom up. The Rangers have a few years until they make a respectable cup run let alone make the second round.

15+ Year Old Account
    So we all didn't get to talk about the draft.

Lol @ the Senators trading for Filatov, that guy is a huge bust.

Leafs had a mediocre draft, was shocked to see Setoguchi get traded a day after being signed by the Sharks and both Carter and Brad Richards being dealt from the Flyers was huge for me. Kinda sad that Burke couldn't acquire Carter, he would have been great to have.
    The Sens gave up a 3rd round pick for a guy with absolutely tremendous upside but a slight attitude problem. Get Filatov on the ice for 80 games a year and he is going to put up 40-50 points. The Sens got an absolutely tremendous deal for him.

Loved the moves by the Flyers. They chose their side in the locker room divide and went with Pronger. The Richards deal was fucking fantastic. I love Simmonds. He is going to fit into the Philadelphia system fantastically. Brayden Schenn is freaking phenomenal. I was incredibly surprised to see him as part of the deal. Dude is a ridiculous talent and will be a top line talent in the coming seasons. Not to mention they got a 2nd round pick and all to get rid of a guy who was somewhat of a divisive force on the team. The Carter deal was a little less amazing, but Voracek is a damn good young player and combined with the picks is a pretty damn good deal. Then they sign Bryz for way less than anticipated. The rumor had it they were looking at a 7 year/$49 million deal in the days prior to the signing which would have been cap crippling. To end up getting him for a cap hit of $5.667mil was great although i am not sure how the final years are structured in terms of being able to terminate his contract since the deal is heavily front loaded.

As for the draft, loved the Red Wings picks. Loved getting Jurco and Sproul in those spots and Tvrdon could be something special.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-06-26 at 06:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The Sens gave up a 3rd round pick for a guy with absolutely tremendous upside but a slight attitude problem. Get Filatov on the ice for 80 games a year and he is going to put up 40-50 points. The Sens got an absolutely tremendous deal for him.
    Filatov will probably have a career similar to Brieres, consistent. But only time will tell.
    Sens got very lucky with this trade.

Also: Slight attitude issues? He's Russian of course hes gonna have attitude issues.
    Last edited by Irony; 2011-06-26 at 06:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

So stoked to see what comes out of this, despite it being a ways away.

Also I feel like the Flyers went from trying for the cup next year to trying for the cup in 2-4 years with the moves they made. Sure its not a bad idea, just my two cents.

Somehow they just need to get the stars and bruins to play more. Those are always the most bitterly fun games. I already have 12/31 circled on my calendar.
    Last edited by ketzil; 2011-06-26 at 06:38 PM.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.