Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    This already is the most penalized Stanley Cup Final ever and by a decent margin if i remember correctly. It will either further that tonight or the refs will swallow the whistle on everything ala Boston/Tampa Game 7 (which is the only reason Boston won /rabblerabble).
    Yep I'm afraid they will follow in that whistle swallowing which plays exactly into the Bruins style.

I can't agree, obviously, that the assumption the canucks are suffering because they can't compete physically. All playoffs Vancouver has outhit every single team, and leads the league in hits for these playoffs. What they're not good at is all the suckerpunching, facewashing, heel slashing, back breaking BS that Boston does so that it can get an edge on a far more skilled team.

Blinders or not (and yes, of course i'm biased), Vancouver has demonstrated that it has far more skill, but historically doesn't do well when all the BS behind the play and in the scrums gets amped up. Players like Marchand/Cooke/Avery/Chara have been practicing this crap all year while Vancouver was practicing clean passes, speed through the neutral zone, and breaking down defenses with smart plays and stronger effort. Anyone who has truly watched Vancouver this year knows this is a strong, fast, talented team that plays whistle to whistle, and it separated them from the pack.

Sadly, that hasn't helped them in this series, as the only way they found to respond to the lack of calls when the BS started was to try and sell them harder. Sucks to watch, and probably inflames my frustration with the refs. None of that shit is the hockey I like to watch.

Already going down as the weirdest and most contentious series, for all the wrong reasons.

go canucks, sadly Raymond will be watching from a Boston hospital bed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    hehe. rabble rouser. But yea, the penalty totals are pretty high, and slightly in favor of Vancouver. I'm ok with that because B's PK is dominating and we've been more successful on PP anyway. I think everyone's gut feeling is that this trend is bound to change eventually, but eventually is running out quickly.
    I love how Milbury and the other talking heads for VS say over and over that the power play will eventually break through for both teams. They've been saying it all along and still haven't been right so I doubt it will happen now with one game left. It took Tampa until game 6 to break through on the power play (which was then negated by the refs in game 7 by 0 penalty calls /rabble). Special teams haven't been an advantage for either team in the series and I don't see them starting to be tonight. Boston's PP has been better, but only at home and really only when things were starting to evaporate (minus Ryder's sweet tip in Game 3). Whoever wins tonight is going to have to do it 5 on 5 as Boston's D is far too solid on the PK and their offense is far too anemic on the PP. Only situation I see someone breaking through for more than one PP goal is if one of the teams starts streaming to the penalty box resulting in multiple 5 on 3s.

If for some reason you need to get jacked for this game....Play 'tonight tonight' by the smashing pumpkins and imagine a Luongo montage.

3 meetings to go then I'm turning off the world. Go you crazy Canucks go!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phazedin View Post
    If for some reason you need to get jacked for this game....Play 'tonight tonight' by the smashing pumpkins and imagine a Luongo montage.

3 meetings to go then I'm turning off the world. Go you crazy Canucks go!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah.... "Tonight Tonight" while imagining a Luongo montage would definitely get me pumped for a Bruins win. I'm not sure that's how you intended it, but really, that sounds horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    Yeah.... "Tonight Tonight" while imagining a Luongo montage would definitely get me pumped for a Bruins win. I'm not sure that's how you intended it, but really, that sounds horrible.
    Rofl ya I'm picturing that song playing with him sitting on the bench in the 2nd period, looking up at the scoreboard with those puppy dog eyes.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozles View Post
    it's hard to argue stats. Vancouver is 10-3 on home ice so far in the playoffs, with Bobby Lu holding a .679 GA when he's in the Cable Box. Boston has struggled so far in Vancouver, and I don't see why tomorrow should be any different. Bobby plays extremely well on home ice (generally) and he's going to be pulling all the stops (no pun) in game 7.

I see it as a 2 - 0 'Nucks, Kessler and Burrows have a huge game and Kaberle coughs up the puck at least 3 times. A little off topic here, but what the hell is going on with Tomas? He was great as a Leaf, and now he's struggling his ass off as a Bruin. Coaching? Chemistry? Dunno, but it's weird.

Go Canucks Go.
    That's the thing though, Boston has failed to win in Vancouver, but the Canucks only won 3 games by a single goal each and in my observations neither team has truly dominated at the Rogers Arena, they were both equally good in Vancouver. I think game 7 is more of a toss up then any other game this series. How much are the refs going to pull their heads out of their asses and make the right calls? If Vancouver wants to win, they better stay the hell out of the penalty box and stop diving, if Boston wants to win they need to get to Luongo early and silence the home crowd with a goal or two. The home team always feeds off the crowd, tonight is no different.

And Kaberle has been crap for the last two seasons and is on the decline, hence why I would like to see him win the Cup because he isn't getting any younger. I think he deserves to win it, he has been a hard worker and a really good player for a long time and is starting to show the decline unfortunately, especially the mistakes in his own zone, but no one is perfect after all and he sure as hell isn't a fast skater either. Surprisingly he has had a decent series though points wise and made a few good plays that have really gone unnoticed, nothing outstanding and yes he has played like shit at times but to be honest, he was never the best in his own zone.

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 05:26 PM ----------

Correct, you can cheer for whoever you like, evidently (by your obvious youth and anger) you've been cheering for a team that hasn't reached the playoffs in your lifetime and it has touched you in a negative way. You have my sympathies and apologies, no one should have to be a leafs fan, it's just too cruel.
    Not been in the playoffs in my lifetime? Right, because in 25 years the Leafs have been in the post season 13 times. How does it make you feel that Vancouver has also only made it to the post season 13 times in the same span? Funny though, the Leafs got fucked by Kerry Fraiser on a retarded call in 92/93 where Gretzky took a dive and he called it a trip, giving the Kings a power play going into OT. Remember what happened the last time Vancouver got to a game 7 in the Finals? They lost, to the Rangers. In the two times the Canucks have made it to the Finals, they were swept against the Islanders and then lost game 7 against the Rangers, you should research your history though. At least the Leafs have their name on the Cup more times then Vancouver has made it to the playoffs.

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Phaze, WTF are you talking about? The Phil Kessel trade was for a 2010 first and second rounder and a 2011 first rounder. Not for 5 years of first round picks. And by the way, the first rounder they have this year is the 9th pick. Boston turned around and traded a first in 2011 and a second (since they made the Finals) for Kaberle. So essentially, the Leafs traded a 2010 1st and 2nd, Kaberle, and a 2011 1st pick swap for Kessel, 2011 1st and a 2011 2nd. It isn't a good trade but it isn't awful. Kessel has been pretty good for Toronto by putting up two 30 goal years in a row. Kessel is a second tier star who is only in his 6th season next year. Sure Toronto could have used those picks as they are in rebuild mode, but at least they got a decent return on that deal. If they maintained that pick they would have the 9th, 25th, and 28th picks in the first round. Along with Seguin and whoever Boston took in the second could have in theory been better, but Kessel has delivered so far.
    Toronto also got a good prospect out of the deal as well if I recall correctly.

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 05:52 PM ----------

My bad, and I'll admit I sure had that one wrong. Our media out here doesn't give any press to the leafs and I made a piss poor assumption. Serves me right for not paying closer attention to To.

The rough part about the Kessel trade is that the leafs need to rebuild, and even if kessel was giving them 50 goal seasons it probably wouldn't get them into the post season. It's a shame from a Leaf's perspective to have an opportunity for a strong future slip away just so the team can go from 29th to 21st.
    Rofl, shows how much you really know about the Leafs and proves your ignorance and blatant fanboyism towards the Canucks. Toronto doesn't have anyone who can score? Yeah sure, whatever you say. I guess Kessel's 64 points, MacArthur's 62 points, Grabovski's 58 and Kulemin's 57 means that Toronto doesn't have any forwards who can score. Kulemin and Kessel had 30 and 32 goals respectively, Grabs had fucking 29 which is a career high for him just like this season was for Kulemin. Sorry but when 5 guys had over 50 points, there is no way in hell a team lacks offensive depth. Most of the guys who played a full season had 20 points or more as well, the Leafs do not lack talent up front by any means, yes there are some holes that could be filled, but there is also tons of potential.

Giguere was shit in net and Gustavsson was having injury problems, with Reimer and Gustavsson next season there is no reason why Toronto shouldn't make the playoffs because that tandem is better for depth then what most other teams in the league have, Boston and Vancouver have pretty good goaltending tandems as well, which is another key to the success of any team bound for the post season, that way you don't kill your starter like Montreal tries to do to Price (which sucks for him because he is a great goalie). If it wasn't for the rough start to the season with terrible goaltending and poor offensive production, it's possible that Toronto would have made the playoffs, whether they progressed would have been a different story. Next year can't come soon enough knowing that most of the problems with the Leafs are now gone and those last few changes can be made this summer.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-06-15 at 09:09 PM.

Please god, don't let Vancouver suck tonight. That's all I ask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a site that is streaming the game live? My gf canceled the cable TODAY without fucking telling me and i'm going insane!! ARGH!!!! Please help!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taros View Post
    Is there a site that is streaming the game live? My gf canceled the cable TODAY without fucking telling me and i'm going insane!! ARGH!!!! Please help!
    Find a pub that is showing the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is Don Cherry wearing a garden?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Why is Don Cherry wearing a garden?
    Good question.

Here is my theme song:

Go Bruins!

10+ Year Old Account
    drop the puck its time to go!
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boston's keys to victory:

Score early
    Get the crowd out of the game
    Chara needs to play the game his career tonight and be the dark horse of the game
    Pucks to the net, keep Vancouver on the defensive

Vancouver's keys to victory

Stay out of the penalty box, taking dumb penalties and diving won't win the game
    Sedin's need to show up
    Bieksa and Kesler need to make their presence felt tonight
    Luongo needs to keep his composure if they go down early

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay, Mason Raymond is at the game. I was worried he wouldn't be travel-ready.

Goddamn it, god.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yay Bergie!

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 08:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Goddamn it, god.
    To be fair, Vancouver has been the better team offensively thus far. Lucky break for Boston I think, poor decisions by Vancouver lead to that goal. Shit happens, still 45 mins or more left in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    1-0

go bruins

15+ Year Old Account
    Raise your hand if you think it is a coincidence that the officiating crew tonight is the exact same crew that worked game 7 of the Boston/Tampa series. #tinfoilhat

Great first goal by Boston.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice high hit on Chara, come on Vancouver you call us dirty?