15+ Year Old Account
    P.A. Parentea officially hitting market July 1 as Isles have no intentions of talking. Dumb move. We'll see if it was Tavares boosting his points so high, but without a doubt he has put up some damn great numbers in his two seasons as a full time pro. Hopefully he doesn't price himself out of the market as he would be a great grab for someone's second like at $2.75-3.5 million per year.

No idea how Bure makes it in over almost any other HoF-eligible player. Dude was good, could've been one of the greats, and instead opted to milk as much money as possible out of every team he played for, making a mockery of the league in the process. He was one of the most disappointing prospects ever, in a list that includes Yashin and Mogilny, and I honestly don't think his stats alone should be enough to warrant an entry, at least not this early. Especially not before some of the actual greats.

But at least Sakic and Oates got in, and Phoenix might be losing their team (fourth time's a charm!), so there's some good news to be had here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Byfuglien, Neal and Pominville sure as shit aren't 5 million dollar players, they are 2nd and 3rd line depth players worth 2.5-3.5 million a season at best. I could make the case that Krejci, Bergeron and Grabovski are worth in the 3.5-4.75 million a year salary, but the problem is that many GM's have really fucked over the whole offer sheet system by overpaying players as a whole who are at best 3rd line players on a skilled team, or 2nd liners on a good team. I'd pay Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan 6 million, same goes for Kessel, but none of the others on that list are worth over 4.5 million with the exception of Fluery since he is a great goalie.
    It all starts with shit organization like Edmonton overpaying guys like Horcoff and everyone else they sign which causes massive inflation in the market. Neal isn't a $5 million guy, although he looked like it this year probably thanks in part to his linemate some Geno guy, but I wouldn't balk at a guy like him making $3.75-4 million or so like he would have without the junk contracts driving up prices (Note: I have been a total Neal bandwagoner for like three years when he was still in Dallas, completely confident in his ability to be a legit NHL scorer so I might be biased about his value). Big Buff only makes that much because he was on a cap floor team which also is a huge part of driving up prices (see: everyone on Florida).

They got a lot of damn work to do in the CBA to try and solve some of these issues. Either they need to lower the cap floor or they need to kill it completely. The cap floor drives up the cost on second-third tier players who are suddenly making $2.5-4 million simply because their free agency destination of choice needs to hit the cap floor. Hell look at Florida. Bergenheim is making $2.75 million based off a single playoff run in which he scoring 11 points in 16 games. He has never put up over 30 points in his NHL career yet he is making nearly $3 million. Tom Kopecky makes $3 million presumably because he once was a third-fourth liner for Detroit and Chicago, certainly not because of on ice achievements. Scottie Upshall makes $3.75 for having scored over 30 points a big once. Flesichmann makes $4.5 million but he put up 51 points two years before the deal and 31 in only 45 games the year before (along with 61 in Florida last year) so at best his salary is okay. Jovo, who is roughly 80, makes $4.125 million to be mediocre at best at this point in his career. Teams like Florida with their reckless spending on free agents and teams like Edmonton that reward their free agents for staying by giving them the reverse home town discount are a huge burden on the league.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    No idea how Bure makes it in over almost any other HoF-eligible player. Dude was good, could've been one of the greats, and instead opted to milk as much money as possible out of every team he played for, making a mockery of the league in the process. He was one of the most disappointing prospects ever, in a list that includes Yashin and Mogilny, and I honestly don't think his stats alone should be enough to warrant an entry, at least not this early. Especially not before some of the actual greats.

But at least Sakic and Oates got in, and Phoenix might be losing their team (fourth time's a charm!), so there's some good news to be had here.
    Bure is the 5th all time goal per game player iirc. His stats are amazing, his career just didn't last long enough. I am absolutely fine with him getting in, but no Shanny is a sham.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but Horcoff isn't even close to in the same league as those guys. Wasn't saying they deserve that pay. One of the biggest gripes I have with professional athletes is their pay. Have 1 good playoff or season and they want to just throw cash at you. Every pro gets such a retarded amount of money to play a sport. Granted they're the best in the world, I just don't think people should be making 5 million dollars in 1 year to do something that they absolutely love.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-06-26 at 09:31 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Yeah but Horcoff isn't even close to in the same league as those guys. Wasn't saying they deserve that pay.
    Horcoff did put up three straight years of 50+ points including 50 in 53 games and 19 points in 24 playoff games. That is some pretty good production. Not $5.5 million good, but pretty decent. It would look better if he didn't fail to crack 40 every year he has had that contract though lol. Edmonton blows is the moral of this and every story ever. Can't wait to see who they draft #1 overall in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Bure is the 5th all time goal per game player iirc. His stats are amazing, his career just didn't last long enough. I am absolutely fine with him getting in, but no Shanny is a sham.
    His stats are beyond amazing. I don't deny that at all. He had such incredible potential, and should still be playing at the top of the NHL today. If he could go a season without an injury, he'd look even better, and it's incredible to think that he accomplished what he did while spending pretty much half of every season on a beach nursing some ailment or another. But that's what gets to me the most about him. He was always injured, almost never played when it counted, and I don't think anyone believed for a single second during his entire career that he cared about the game or the teams he played for beyond what he was getting paid. Not a thing he did amounted to anything more than padding his own stats, and, while I don't think trophies and accolades are the sole reason for someone to get inducted, I also don't think that a player who never contributed enough in any other aspect to any team he was on should get in before equal-quality players who have.

10+ Year Old Account
    BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE!
    Finally, the third best Russian to ever skate deserves to be in the HoF.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 09:51 PM ----------

Byfuglien, Neal and Pominville sure as shit aren't 5 million dollar players, they are 2nd and 3rd line depth players worth 2.5-3.5 million a season at best. I could make the case that Krejci, Bergeron and Grabovski are worth in the 3.5-4.75 million a year salary, but the problem is that many GM's have really fucked over the whole offer sheet system by overpaying players as a whole who are at best 3rd line players on a skilled team, or 2nd liners on a good team. I'd pay Perry, Getzlaf and Ryan 6 million, same goes for Kessel, but none of the others on that list are worth over 4.5 million with the exception of Fluery since he is a great goalie.
    James Neal just came off a 40 goal campaign, Buff came off a great year offensively with 53 points in 66 games and Pominville is a 70 point player, who isn't a liability in the defensive end, of course they're worth 5M, at least last season.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    P.A. Parentea officially hitting market July 1 as Isles have no intentions of talking. Dumb move. We'll see if it was Tavares boosting his points so high, but without a doubt he has put up some damn great numbers in his two seasons as a full time pro. Hopefully he doesn't price himself out of the market as he would be a great grab for someone's second like at $2.75-3.5 million per year.
    Some team is gonna panic and sign him for too much, watch him get 5m in Montreal or Anaheim or San Jose.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-26 at 09:59 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDa2hX5w3Y

Forgot about this, seems fitting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shanny didn't get in because the HoF is angry at his playoff discipline decisions.

Didn't Sundin get in? All that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    No idea how Bure makes it in over almost any other HoF-eligible player..
    No idea how Bure hasn't made it in before now. Glad to see Sundin in there too.

Possible he just doesn't want to be on a crap team that nobody on the planet really seems to care about. I think he'll be fine without Tavares.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Didn't Sundin get in? All that matters.
    Yes he did.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...y-hall-of-fame

10+ Year Old Account
    5 days till the off season starts, first off-season in a while I'm excited for. With Schultz, Suter, Parise and Carle all possibilities, cannot wait.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE!
    Finally, the third best Russian to ever skate deserves to be in the HoF.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 09:51 PM ----------

James Neal just came off a 40 goal campaign, Buff came off a great year offensively with 53 points in 66 games and Pominville is a 70 point player, who isn't a liability in the defensive end, of course they're worth 5M, at least last season.

---------- Post added 2012-06-26 at 10:01 PM ----------

Some team is gonna panic and sign him for too much, watch him get 5m in Montreal or Anaheim or San Jose.
    I thought he was talking about Chris Neil

I don't think P.A Parenteau's numbers are bloated thanks to Tavares, looking at his career numbers, he can be a 50-80 point player in any league. Any team looking to add a quality right winger would be wise to pick him up, if he can be had for 4.5 million, I'd take him for the second line with Grabovski and Lupul. With JVR and Kessel on the top line wings, Parenteau and Lupul winging Grabs would make for two very dangerous lines for the Leafs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought he was talking about Chris Neil
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok I was really confused as to how you thought 40 goals wasn't worth 5M ?_?

I don't think his numbers were too inflated, I mean he's with Tavares, and it's not like Tavares scored 120 points and tore apart the league.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-27 at 12:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shane Doan heading to free agency. Somewhere, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis is salivating at the opportunity. He'd be a perfect Canuck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Shane Doan heading to free agency. Somewhere, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis is salivating at the opportunity. He'd be a perfect Canuck.
    He'd be a perfect about anything. Got to love the NHLs continued insistence on trying to get Phoenix to work ended up running Doan off from being a career with one franchise guy. He has stuck with that team through bad times and worse than bad times. Hope he lands somewhere with a chance to win a Cup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... Doan to free agency. Never thought I'd see the day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Wow... Doan to free agency. Never thought I'd see the day.
    It helps to actually go outside.. /trollface

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of surprised it happened right after Phoenix's best season.