I (used to, at least) like Dupuis, and I do like Malkin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    holy shit when did you get back?
    ive been "back" for a while now. just havent been posting as much. obligatory: "is it hockey season yet?" im about to die from lack of hockey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Either way though, he totally panic moved by signing that huge deal before the big scary CBA limits contracts to 5-7 years or w/e it ends up being. So dumb. He would have gotten paid either way unless he completely fell apart before the end of his contract.
    there's something to be said in favor of signing the long deal before possibly completely falling apart coughdipietrocough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    ive been "back" for a while now. just havent been posting as much. obligatory: "is it hockey season yet?" im about to die from lack of hockey.
    oh I see,hadnt checked the tread in a while soo when I saw you I was like huh...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    there's something to be said in favor of signing the long deal before possibly completely falling apart coughdipietrocough
    Well to be fair, Dipietro never succeeded before signing that deal lol. He signed his mega contract to start 2006-07. In 2005-06 he had a 3.02 GAA and a .900 SV%. He put up literally 50 good games in 2003 prior to the lockout of 2.36 GAA and .911 SV%. Everything else in his career was junk at every level but his US U20 stats.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    If the 5 year limit goes through it could be the best thing imaginable for the Islanders organization. Forced away from ever making such retarded contracts.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    If the 5 year limit goes through it could be the best thing imaginable for the Islanders organization. Forced away from ever making such retarded contracts.
    Don't tell that to the other 29 teams though. Anything longer then 7 years is absurd, and I think 7 years is the right number. I don't believe 5 years is long enough, 7 years just feels like a good number for me because it's time for a player to establish himself in the league coming off a rookie contract and you really get the full feel of how a player is going to turn out into his prime. Not every player makes it into the NHL after being drafted, but I think it's nuts to have 5 year entry level deals though unless you give teams an opt out clause after the 3rd year to give their players the option of signing an actual NHL deal as opposed to the two way entry level deals. Especially when you get a player who is good straight out of junior, you wouldn't have him rot for 5 years making league minimum (even with signing bonuses it wouldn't be enough) when he puts up 80+ point seasons or whatever.

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    My prediction for next season is New York feeds off the rest of the East for 112~ points and wins the Presidents Trophy. Waiting for the rest of the off season to reserve judgement on the rest of the teams. Also have a thought for the Leafs fans for the season after this one. Do you think Toronto goes after Corey Perry? His contract ends after next season and he's from Peterborough. I know that doesn't make him automatically a candidate but it makes sense for him at least. Already won a cup, Anaheim is looking quite grim. I'm assuming they'll have their goaltender issues resolved by then so with Perry, the Leafs are quite the scary team. Connolly's contract comes off next year and I'm assuming they'd let him walk, freeing up some cap space. Resigning Lupul, Bozak, and MacArthur seems logical (though I'm not sure how much those would cost / if they'd want to resign them). Hopefully the CBA issues get figured out and we don't see these 10+ year 100+ million dollar contracts dropping like rain. Perry definitely falls into the category of a player who would want one of those.
    I honestly can't tell you whether or not Burke would go after Corey Perry or not. I am sure he'd love to have Getzlaf too. If your top 6 consisted of Kessel, Lupul, Getzlaf, Perry, and Van Riemsdyke, then that would be not only one of the most expensive rosters to keep on the pay roll, but it would be very hard to balance minutes. I am sure Burke has been making offers, however I don't think he will really put any cards on the table until he knows what he has in Kadri. At this point the kid is coming off a quality year with the Marlies and his time in the NHL last season while not overly long, was productive and he showed that he can play in the NHL but he needs to be consistent. Wilson juggling him around on lines rather then letting him play with the big boys and make the moves that he has shown to possess. Kadri had 41 points in 44 games last year prior to an injury that put him out for the end of the season plus the playoffs, however I think if he can translate what he has learned about being not only an offensive player, but being good on the defence, he will fit into the top two lines at centre.

At this rate though I think Burke needs to get rid of the horrible contracts of Komisarek and Connolly before the start of the season, they are failed experiments and are costing the team far too much money. They got 2 million tied up in buyouts for the next two seasons as well, which makes unloading those two contracts even more vital. Lombardi's contract could be unloaded too, that 3.5 million dollar cap hit just adds to the strain. The Leafs have 12.5 million tied up between those two guys, better spent on depth and a goalie.

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 09:38 PM ----------

Subban is a tough bastard. He is the grainy asshole type Philly always loves. Great defensively, good offensively. He is the Habs main PP gunner and their main PK stalwart. Plus he is 23.
    Yeah but he is still inexperienced and extremely immature for his age, he is still a cocky little rodent both on and off the ice. No one is going to pay him Weber money at his age. In 3 years if he can attain any level of skill near Weber, he will get paid well.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if he's really asking for Weber money though. Montrael isn't the best place for his development imo, with Hal Gill gone and Markov always injured / being Markov there isn't really a guy who can basically teach him the ways of making that next step. He reminds me a bit of Drew Doughty but younger, more physical and less hockey sense. I think Doughty learnt quite a bit playing with Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene. I believe Kirk Muller was the guy in charge of most of the defensive stuff there too and he's obviously gone too. I'd imagine Subban is looking for a 4.5~ million dollar deal that was handed out to people like Garrison and Matt Carle. I'd also assume Montrael resigns him because that team would seriously be depleted on the back end. Markov can't play a full season ever and the rest are sort of mediocre. He has a cannon of a shot and can play a hard physical game but his hockey sense is really holding him back from stepping up to that next level of defense man. If he went to a team with some veteran guys on the back end that could maybe guide him a bit, I'd say P.K. would be a really solid top 4 defenseman on any team.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that the Habs haven't signed him yet tells me that there are hang ups in the contract negotiations. When they replaced Gauthier, it should have been the new GM's first priority to get their guys all under contract. Maybe Subban is holding out to see how the team turns out closer to the start of the season, he might secretly want out.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Woulden't you though?

15+ Year Old Account
    Saw one of the Leafs Assistant Coaches in the grocery store yesterday. He was buying bread. That's my Hockey update for July.

15+ Year Old Account
    Semin signed with the Canes 1 year $7 million. Still can't believe no one would give him 2 years $10 million. I don't get it. The amount that guy must have been badmouthed to GMs around the league must be enormous.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Semin signed with the Canes 1 year $7 million. Still can't believe no one would give him 2 years $10 million. I don't get it. The amount that guy must have been badmouthed to GMs around the league must be enormous.
    It really is. I hope he finds his groove there. It was always a shame to watch such good talent waste away in Washington.
    red panda red panda red panda!

What is with good players gravitating to bad teams lately? This is quickly becoming the Bizarro version of the NBA. I'm positive this one at least is just to get away from Washington and out from Ovie's colossal shadow, but the signings lately have been like if Gretzky had enough of winning back in the day and decided to play for the Panthers, while Brodeur felt his job was too easy in New Jersey and thought Hartford would be a nice change of pace. It just seems weird, but at least it makes things a little more interesting for teams that don't ever look like they have much of a chance or market.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I mean the biggest signings are pretty explainable. Suter Parise wanted to play together, Parise wanted to play in Minnesota where he is from and walla, they're both Wild now. Jordan Staal wanted out of Pittsburgh because he was playing behind 2 other centers that are the best in the game, he goes to play with his brother in Carolina. Semin is obviously looking for the place that will give him the most money in the NHL so he went to Carolina and is making 7 mil now. As for the signing, hats off the Canes GM for reeling these 2 big new signings though. They could def take that division now, they got the goalie and star forwards. You'd think Semin has some motivation now especially since he'll see the Caps 6 times a year.

PS found a user I know you're all going to love when he comes in here during hockey season! http://www.mmo-champion.com/members/823004-sidneycrosby
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-07-26 at 11:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I mean the biggest signings are pretty explainable. Suter Parise wanted to play together, Parise wanted to play in Minnesota where he is from and walla, they're both Wild now. Jordan Staal wanted out of Pittsburgh because he was playing behind 2 other centers that are the best in the game, he goes to play with his brother in Carolina. Semin is obviously looking for the place that will give him the most money in the NHL so he went to Carolina and is making 7 mil now. As for the signing, hats off the Canes GM for reeling these 2 big new signings though. They could def take that division now, they got the goalie and star forwards. You'd think Semin has some motivation now especially since he'll see the Caps 6 times a year.

PS found a user I know you're all going to love when he comes in here during hockey season! http://www.mmo-champion.com/members/823004-sidneycrosby
    been a user for almost a year and has yet to post in the hockey thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    And has 0 friends.

Well, congrats Semin on your last chance in the NHL. Unless he gets 40 goals, this was a wasted money. I'm sure though him with E.Staal will produce some good numbers. Curious to if they'll push Skinner to the RW or keep Larose.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account

Semin didn't go to Carolina because of the money at all. Since Day 1 he either wanted a 1 year $7 million contract or 2 years $10 million total. That were the two options his agent was presenting to teams. No one was willing to give him two years apparently so he went with Carolina one of the few teams probably willing to give him the $7 million. I'm sure being in the same division as the Caps also helped sway him there over any other team willing to do the same deal. He has a really bad reputation and that must have spawned from inside the Caps management. I'm sure he wants to stick it to them as much as possible.

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    And has 0 friends.

Well, congrats Semin on your last chance in the NHL. Unless he gets 40 goals, this was a wasted money. I'm sure though him with E.Staal will produce some good numbers. Curious to if they'll push Skinner to the RW or keep Larose.
    I'm more interested to see if Carolina is done. They still have a fair bit of cap space and could use an addition on the blue line. If Ward is in top form Carolina could be a quality team and absolutely should win that division.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the first FA I've ever been disappointed with Holland. He's chased every big name and lost them all. Hopefully Brunner does pan out to be a top 6 forward and Samuelsson can score 25 goals. At least next year we should be able to keep everyone, with Howards/Filps deserving pay raises.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    And has 0 friends.
    Pfft. i just sent my friend request