Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Bryz is in against the Hawks. He has a plain white mask? Don't think I've seen that before.
    didnt tim thomas have one of those for the first bit there in Florida?

Zeoni, realistically there's only a couple teams in the West that don't have 'glaring flaws' as you put it. Look deeper than the records, and you'll see that St. Louis and San Jose are kind of standing above the rest in the quality of play at every position. The rest have some issues that are starting to rise to the surface. The Blackhawks are struggling defensively, the Avs I think are still going to hit some more rocky times (no pun intended), the Wild are not at all deep on D and are relying on Suter half the time (literally 29:33 a game), the Ducks go hot and cold and have had some injury/health issues of late, the Kings are getting out-of-this-world backup goaltending right now, but were looking pretty terrible for a stretch, the Coyotes have some big issues on D after OEL (including Yandle's defensive issues). It's not just about records and points. If the playoffs started today, I would bet a lot on San Jose and St. Louis meeting in the WCF

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    didnt tim thomas have one of those for the first bit there in Florida?
    Yeah you're probably right, I'm guessing those guys just didn't have their designs ready yet. Though I would think they would just use whatever the other goalie who was there before them used.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bryz is in against the Hawks. He has a plain white mask? Don't think I've seen that before.
    he is getting one painted as we speak

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    the Wild are not at all deep on D and are relying on Suter half the time (literally 29:33 a game),
    i really hope my crappy english is the one and i misread.
    I hope you arent trying to tell us that the Wild's defense is not good. Seeing as they are without a doubt the best defense in the entire league. None is even close to locking down teams and preventing them from shoting on the net. their weakness is rather their offense weakest link out of the 3 (Goalie, def, off)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah you're probably right, I'm guessing those guys just didn't have their designs ready yet. Though I would think they would just use whatever the other goalie who was there before them used.
    Every goalie in the league has their custom gear so sharing gear is something they never do due to several reasons ,and when a goalie quits/gets fired they auction off the gear. Its a monthly thing they do and then give money to charity

The Wilds problem is going to be if Suter goes down or just wears out. Don't get me wrong, I watched him in Nashville and he played a ton of minutes here too, but he makes that defense look better than it is. He is playing that many minutes for one reason, they don't trust the other defensive players all that much. My concern with him is if he's going to be able to keep that up all year, play the Olympics and then have anything left for the playoffs.

Damn Canucks choked hard in last few mins vs LA. Nice to see they are standing up for themselves now though. I like that Stanton guy even though he almost cost a goal screening Luongo.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    The Wilds problem is going to be if Suter goes down or just wears out. Don't get me wrong, I watched him in Nashville and he played a ton of minutes here too, but he makes that defense look better than it is. He is playing that many minutes for one reason, they don't trust the other defensive players all that much. My concern with him is if he's going to be able to keep that up all year, play the Olympics and then have anything left for the playoffs.
    Yep, my hope is he carries the American's defense to a gold medal win, and then is completely gased by the time the playoffs come around.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the Wild lose their consistency like a couple of years ago when they had a hot start, it won't bode well for them. I don't think Suter will last more then a couple more months playing the minutes he is.

10+ Year Old Account
    new NHL + Roger deal will ensure no more regional or localization of games.

Deal worth 5.2 Billion

Yep, my hope is he carries the American's defense to a gold Silver medal win, and then is completely gased by the time the playoffs come around.
    Fixed.
    /10c

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So no hockey on TSN, is this a big deal up there?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    new NHL + Roger deal will ensure no more regional or localization of games.

Deal worth 5.2 Billion
    I like that idea, doesn't force me to pay the asinine butt rape costs that are NHL Centre Ice.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a big deal to me. TSN is only good for their pre-game panel, but otherwise I really don't like their commentary any more then I like CBC's right now. Not to mention there is nothing more annoying then having to listen to Pierre Mcguire try and give Crosby a verbal blowjob on the air every time they have a Leafs vs Penguins game.

The Leafs play-by-play (maybe not recently, I haven't watched a game not on CBC since before last season) guys were the same on LeafsTV/Sportsnet/TSN anyway, so I don't know how much this will effect the commentary. If you want annoying, Ren, listen to the commentary for teams the Leafs are playing. The Bruins and Capitals guys are among the worst. Ignorant color commentary, and just downright homer play callers.

That's something I've noticed the last few years. Why is it that some cities have such impartial commentary (Blue Jays, Yankees, CBC guys), yet some (White Sox, Bruins) are just clear that any bad calls against their team are horrible, and any missed tiny infractions are egregious errors of judgment on part of the refs/umps?

I never realized why I love the NFL so much. Is it because it's the same guys calling games every week, no matter who is playing? Troy Aikman was calling the Cowboys game the other day, and you didn't see him going nuts for the Cowboys - he was providing reasonable, impartial comments.

For the consumer as long as you don't mind listening/watching Sportsnet (which some people do) it really doesn't mean much. It just means games showing on other channels will be now on Sportsnet including from the sounds of it the all-star and Stanley Cup Final.

From a business perspective this is huge. Sportsnet is basically the #2 Sports Channel in Canada below TSN which is #1. With Sportsnet taking over The Score (#3) earlier this year and now this they finally have at least a shot at being #1. CBC (public broadcaster) luckily was able to retain Saturday games but Sportsnet gets to control all aspects from it. TSN from the sounds of it will stop showing all hockey but there are some reports they might just show games featuring American teams. TSN still has rights to various other sports so it's not all doom and gloom for them and at one point a few years back they also went a few years without showing any hockey. From early reports TSN and CBC might be letting some of their on screen talents go and well there's only one spot to go now.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    The Leafs play-by-play (maybe not recently, I haven't watched a game not on CBC since before last season) guys were the same on LeafsTV/Sportsnet/TSN anyway, so I don't know how much this will effect the commentary. If you want annoying, Ren, listen to the commentary for teams the Leafs are playing. The Bruins and Capitals guys are among the worst. Ignorant color commentary, and just downright homer play callers.

That's something I've noticed the last few years. Why is it that some cities have such impartial commentary (Blue Jays, Yankees, CBC guys), yet some (White Sox, Bruins) are just clear that any bad calls against their team are horrible, and any missed tiny infractions are egregious errors of judgment on part of the refs/umps?

I never realized why I love the NFL so much. Is it because it's the same guys calling games every week, no matter who is playing? Troy Aikman was calling the Cowboys game the other day, and you didn't see him going nuts for the Cowboys - he was providing reasonable, impartial comments.
    Nah, it's been a couple of different guys on TSN for the last few years but generally the same play caller. Joe Bowen does all the Leafs TV and SportsNet broadcasts which I don't mind because usually him and Greg Millen try to be as impartial as possible. Jim Hughson does all the CBC broadcasts for the Leafs games now which I don't understand, I'd rather have Bob Cole and his mispronunciation of names any day over that Canucks homer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    For the consumer as long as you don't mind listening/watching Sportsnet (which some people do) it really doesn't mean much. It just means games showing on other channels will be now on Sportsnet including from the sounds of it the all-star and Stanley Cup Final.

From a business perspective this is huge. Sportsnet is basically the #2 Sports Channel in Canada below TSN which is #1. With Sportsnet taking over The Score (#3) earlier this year and now this they finally have at least a shot at being #1. CBC (public broadcaster) luckily was able to retain Saturday games but Sportsnet gets to control all aspects from it. TSN from the sounds of it will stop showing all hockey but there are some reports they might just show games featuring American teams. TSN still has rights to various other sports so it's not all doom and gloom for them and at one point a few years back they also went a few years without showing any hockey. From early reports TSN and CBC might be letting some of their on screen talents go and well there's only one spot to go now.
    The only hockey TSN retains the rights to is Olympic hockey since they are part of CTV, both owned by Bell. I wouldn't even call TSN the number 1 sports network with how big SportsNet has become the last two years. Rogers has several channels dedicated to sports, The Score, SportsNet 360, East, Ontario, Central and West plus that 24/7 sports channel on 999 or whatever, while TSN only has their two channels and some of that is syndicated content from the USA like the ESPN football show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I like that idea, doesn't force me to pay the asinine butt rape costs that are NHL Centre Ice.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a big deal to me. TSN is only good for their pre-game panel, but otherwise I really don't like their commentary any more then I like CBC's right now. Not to mention there is nothing more annoying then having to listen to Pierre Mcguire try and give Crosby a verbal blowjob on the air every time they have a Leafs vs Penguins game.

doesn't start till next season though I believe.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Lupul is out, pulled his groin today. As much as I like the guy and he has a lot of skill, the amount of injuries he has had reminds me of the Leafs last glass cannon.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sportsnet sucks dick though. I hate every teams PBP/Colour guy and their panals are just amatuer. I really like TSN's coverage, really hope they hire Gord Miller and Cuthbert.

Fuckin Clarkson pisses me off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHPfuOz0IJs

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Sportsnet sucks dick though. I hate every teams PBP/Colour guy and their panals are just amatuer. I really like TSN's coverage, really hope they hire Gord Miller and Cuthbert.

Fuckin Clarkson pisses me off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHPfuOz0IJs
    Yeah? And guys who jump other players for legitimate hip checks piss me off.

Also, get rid of Aaron Ward and Steve Simmons and TSN would have a vastly better panel, but at least Kypreos and MacLean are entertaining. I'd rather them then a troll who should be sitting behind a desk writing articles of bullshit about the Leafs and an idiot who accomplished nothing of worth as an NHL player.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He hit him when he didn't even have the puck then 2 hands him across the thighs then Clarkson wants to instigate? K. Thank god the ref had his head on straight and got Clarkson to fuck off.