10+ Year Old Account
    because God hates letting Red Wings fans sleep, I got a feeling this is gonna be the first one to make it to a second OT period

nevermind
    Last edited by draynay; 2013-05-09 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    They are still way to good to roll a grenade into the whole operation. The Canucks still have top-end talent, they just need someone who can actually convince those guys to show up in the playoffs, preferrably all at once and all for the whole run. And the more time passes the more I'm convinced Vigneault isn't that guy.
    Basically. I think changes are needed, maybe in the top talent group but overall the team should be recognizable. I've been really disappointed with a couple of players, namely the Sedins and Elder. Props to Kesler though for actually showing up.

I'm going with LA or Chi from the West and Caps or Sens from East
    I remember it all too well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    I've been really disappointed with a couple of players, namely the Sedins and Elder.
    I don't know how I feel about Edler. On the one hand, he leads the Canuck defense in points, and leads the team in Power Play goals, but he's made so many defensive mistakes this season, with bad giveaways and missed hits leading to breakaways and 2-on-1s. Maybe he should be moved to a forward line and taken off defense or something.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Yeah, he's been robbing us left, right, and centre the last two games.

https://vine.co/v/b2PFre2auF5
    Oh that was his wife? Lol I thought it was his sister. She's hot though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Ovi's Xbox controller disconnected...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Looks like Ovi's Xbox controller disconnected...

so.. how did he manage to get away with that one?

Man that's just horrible, especially in the playoffs

Maybe the net result is the same but if you are back checking hard maybe you disrupt the stick or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    so.. how did he manage to get away with that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Man that's just horrible, especially in the playoffs

Maybe the net result is the same but if you are back checking hard maybe you disrupt the stick or something.
    Best part is, there's another angle showing him coasting in all the way from the blue line too, so it's not like he had no shot to catch up.. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Chris Higgins, I wish more of the team was able to shoulder their own responsibility like you just did in your interview.
    You are what this team needs more of.

Edit: Gillis has just stated that he recognizes the state of the NHL is changing and trending towards bigger teams, and that he will be making significant changes in order to match that trend - RE: less finesse, more toughness, younger players. Also, Luongo is "unlikely" to be in Vancouver at the start of next season.

Gillis on the trend towards brute strength:
    "I certainly hope [that the current trend of size>skill doesn't continue unchecked]. I think there has to be skill in the game - I don't know why we want to see that out of the League. I'm gonna push back, and I know some other GMs that are gonna push back, and try and keep the skill level as high as possible, but you've got to take what you're given. [...] It's no longer a one off - it's a trend."

"The macro look at this team is that changes have to be made - we're going to have to make them."

"We came in here five years ago and changed a lot of things, and we're going to do that again - we're going to revisit this team and change a lot of things."
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2013-05-09 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea what Gillis is trying to say.

France 2
    Russia 1 LOL
    Last edited by Masqerader; 2013-05-09 at 07:24 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    God dammit watching Ryan O'Reily at the IIHF stings. 90+% faceoffs, I know it woulden't be that high in the NHL but fuck if that whole fiasco didn't happen and we got him I'd be able to sleep easier at night. I wonder if they'll give him to us for 2 of our late 1st rounders at the draft..one can only hope

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    because God hates letting Red Wings fans sleep, I got a feeling this is gonna be the first one to make it to a second OT period

nevermind
    if god hated letting us sleep, we wouldn't be moving east next year. he just had a 20 year or so grudge.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Chris Higgins, I wish more of the team was able to shoulder their own responsibility like you just did in your interview.

Edit: Gillis has just stated that he recognizes the state of the NHL is changing and trending towards bigger teams, and that he will be making significant changes in order to match that trend - RE: less finesse, more toughness, younger players. Also, Luongo is "unlikely" to be in Vancouver at the start of next season.

"I certainly hope [that the current trend of size>skill doesn't continue unchecked]. I think there has to be skill in the game - I don't know why we want to see that out of the League. I'm gonna push back, and I know some other GMs that are gonna push back, and try and keep the skill level as high as possible, but you've got to take what you're given. [...] It's no longer a one off - it's a trend."

"The macro look at this team is that changes have to be made - we're going to have to make them."

"We came in here five years ago and changed a lot of things, and we're going to do that again - we're going to revisit this team and change a lot of things."
    Gillis needs to realize that there is a difference between having a team with size and a team that is tough. Look at the teams with size, they all have skill too. Montreal has all skill and have been absolutely walked all over in the 3 games Ottawa has won in the first round. See, Vancouver's problem is that the majority of their players are soft, especially the Sedin's, they don't work it physically like other top 6 forwards do. Look at guys like Kadri, JVR, Lucic and Marchand in the playoffs thus far, they are tough cookies who can score goals and still play tough. Skill doesn't mean shit all anymore, which is why Pittsburgh could be beaten by a team that will match them for skill despite having highly underrated talent. If you can't play physically, and if you fail defensively, you are going to lose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    Winnik needs to get suspended for his hit on Cleary. clearly a defenseless player.
    Clean hit, stop whining.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

Gillis just eats up what the media spits. Really fucking sad to see as a fan imo. Hodgson was traded for literally no other reason than the media constantly saying " they need to be tough". Kassian has been terrible and most of the time his points come from playing with the Sedins, which lets be honest anyone can do when those two are setting up.
    I remember it all too well

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Gillis just eats up what the media spits. Really fucking sad to see as a fan imo. Hodgson was traded for literally no other reason than the media constantly saying " they need to be tough". Kassian has been terrible and most of the time his points come from playing with the Sedins, which lets be honest anyone can do when those two are setting up.
    If I remember correctly Hodgson wanted out because he demanded more ice time which Vigneault either couldn't or wouldn't give him.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 12:47 AM ----------

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Rinne underwent hip surgery, out for four months. I knew there was something wrong with him.

Either way Gillis didn't sound like he was doing anything more than pitching to the fans (and ownership to a lesser extent) that his team was a victim of circumstance because of the lockout. He was handed a team that was 1-2 years and pieces from a Stanley Cup. They came 1 game short. Now after his tinkering they're 1-8 in the last 2 playoff seasons. As the #1 and #3 seeds (would be 1/5 but the whole division winner thing). If you lose game 1 on home ice, you need to come back stronger than they did. Doesn't need blowing up, but it needs a few pretty big moves

10+ Year Old Account
    just saw Vokoun make a save on a bad angle shot, he didn't fall into his own net or anything

I bet MTL is happy they got rid of Halak in favour of a proper backup.

Oh wait

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    just saw Vokoun make a save on a bad angle shot, he didn't fall into his own net or anything
    Vokoun actually challenges shooters, MAF seemed to be making himself as small as possible. Good goalie change, in my opinion.