I like that Bernier deal. If he takes over and is the better goalie, we have him cheap for another year. If he stinks, he's off the books after another year. Good gamble.

10+ Year Old Account
    re-signed Ellerby, and signed Schultz, it seems like the Kings are stockpiling guys with size who don't play with size, oh well

I suppose he does have experience as a stay-at-home guy paired with a mobile scoring threat and we've got 2 of those guys in Doughty and Voynov

15+ Year Old Account
    I think for the first time in years I am actually happy about what the Wings did in free agency. Losing Brunner sucks, but they upgraded Filp with Weiss at a cheaper hit giving them another solid two way center who can actually put up points. That signing by the Lightning is odd. WTF Stevie. As long as the Wings don't bring back Cleary I will be pretty happy. I'd much rather see a young guy get a slot all year than Cleary continue to have his knees break down.

There was apparently a point around when Emery's deal first came out that Horton was going to be a Flyer too. How many wingers do we need?

Anyway, 2 Flyers-Habs trade rumors. Coburn, Talbot, Simmonds for Plekanec, Moen, Beaulieu. The other involves Coburn and Talbot for something for Blunden.

In order, HELL NO and slightly less no. Simmonds needs to stay. The other trade would be better since I'm okay with losing both of them, but Blunden is a CENTER. How the hell many centers do we need?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    There was apparently a point around when Emery's deal first came out that Horton was going to be a Flyer too. How many wingers do we need?

Anyway, 2 Flyers-Habs trade rumors. Coburn, Talbot, Simmonds for Plekanec, Moen, Beaulieu. The other involves Coburn and Talbot for something for Blunden.

In order, HELL NO and slightly less no. Simmonds needs to stay. The other trade would be better since I'm okay with losing both of them, but Blunden is a CENTER. How the hell many centers do we need?
    Ya both those trades seem awful (although it could be that I am a total Simmonds homer). Dear Flyers, defense. That is all.

I would just like to say, the only thing worse about being a Preds fan than knowing you don't have a shot at alot of these Free Agents because of location, is putting up with the idiot fans that can't understand that. I thought we had a pretty decent day, maybe over paid a bit, but its not like cap space is an issue with us so it doesn't really matter.

We got better and thats about all I can ask for.

We got a replacement for Erat, actually pretty sure Stalberg is an upgrade there. We got some much needed grit with Nystrom and Hendricks. We got pushed around and beat on a ton last year, and then our energy line had no energy, these signings should solve that. We got some much needed leadership in Cullen, and someone thats gonna dig and odds are fits the style very well.

Would it have been nice to get Horton, Seguin, etc.? Sure but not all that displeased tbh. At least for once I can't complain about Poile's work, dude worked his butt off trying to get guys whether it was with a trade or just signing them.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2013-07-06 at 12:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I would just like to say, the only thing worse about being a Preds fan than knowing you don't have a shot at alot of these Free Agents because of location, is putting up with the idiot fans that can't understand that. I thought we had a pretty decent day, maybe over paid a bit, but its not like cap space is an issue with us so it doesn't really matter.

We got better and thats about all I can ask for.

We got a replacement for Erat, actually pretty sure Stalberg is an upgrade there. We got some much needed grit with Nystrom and Hendricks. We got pushed around and beat on a ton last year, and then our energy line had no energy, these signings should solve that. We got some much needed leadership in Cullen, and someone thats gonna dig and odds are fits the style very well.

Would it have been nice to get Horton, Seguin, etc.? Sure but not all that displeased tbh. At least for once I can't complain about Poile's work, dude worked his butt off trying to get guys whether it was with a trade or just signing them.
    The Preds do what they do which is build amazing depth without star power out front. That isn't a recipe for a Cup most like, but it is a recipe to remain a competitive team year after year. I think the Preds should have taken a chance on Grabo off the waiver wire. They weren't going to fish up anything better in free agency for sure. I like the Preds signing yesterday, especially Stalberg. They aren't flashy, but they have a purpose which is better than throwing a boatload of money or years at unnecessary pieces.

Deleted
    Too bad we lost Clarkson, but atleast Elias is still there, and that's the main thing, would've been weird seeing him in anything but a New Jersey jersey, kind of like seeing Alfredsson in anything but a Senators jersey....oh wait.

I'm surprised Brunner hasn't signed anywhere yet. I haven't heard anything about his contract demands, is he just asking for too much money for someone with only ~45 games of NHL experience?

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda shocked Detroit didn't re-sign clearly, always liked what he brang to a team

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya both those trades seem awful (although it could be that I am a total Simmonds homer). Dear Flyers, defense. That is all.
    I'll be really disappointed if they trade away Simmonds. I honestly dont know who is available for D, whether through UFA or trade, but something needs to be done there. Would be nice to find a way to get rid of Mez's contract, unless they put him on LTIR in October.

Glad to see we got Clarkson, would have liked to have gotten Weiss. Enjoying Alfredsson leaving Ottawa but disappointed they got Ryan. <_<
    Also glad to see Cooke out of Pittsburgh, maybe he'll actually get ejected from the league when he fucks up next time.

Apparently Fraser didn't agree to initial offer, not happy about that, don't want to lose him. Franson and Kadri still need to be resigned too, doesn't look like there'll be much cap space for us after that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fraser wants a 1 way deal because he thinks he deserves it, and he does. He was nothing if not consistently good for us on the back end last year. I don't think it's about the money anyway. I don't know why Nonis doesn't just give him what he deserve. Hell, the guy took a slapshot puck to the head for this team.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want Fraser back, Mike Kostka was the worst thing on that blue line last year

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding Simmonds, I really didn't like losing him from LA, he was consistently getting better while he was here and brought good energy, if they hadn't won a cup after that trade I'd still be irked about it, but since it worked out for us I can't really complain, just empathize with those who don't want Simmonds to get traded either.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The Preds do what they do which is build amazing depth without star power out front. That isn't a recipe for a Cup most like, but it is a recipe to remain a competitive team year after year. I think the Preds should have taken a chance on Grabo off the waiver wire. They weren't going to fish up anything better in free agency for sure. I like the Preds signing yesterday, especially Stalberg. They aren't flashy, but they have a purpose which is better than throwing a boatload of money or years at unnecessary pieces.
    Well its not from trying, just can't convince them to sign. I think Poile might have taken a look at Grabo til he shot his mouth off, as soon as he did that all Poile probably saw was * Warning: Radulov Clone * and that was that. Could be wrong, and not entirely sure we are done, we simply have more men than Roster spots atm.

Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    I want Fraser back, Mike Kostka was the worst thing on that blue line last year
    Holzer made kostka look like doughty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Fraser wants a 1 way deal because he thinks he deserves it, and he does. He was nothing if not consistently good for us on the back end last year. I don't think it's about the money anyway. I don't know why Nonis doesn't just give him what he deserve. Hell, the guy took a slapshot puck to the head for this team.
    Agreed. Fraser and franson were the best pairing last year by far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well its not from trying, just can't convince them to sign. I think Poile might have taken a look at Grabo til he shot his mouth off, as soon as he did that all Poile probably saw was * Warning: Radulov Clone * and that was that. Could be wrong, and not entirely sure we are done, we simply have more men than Roster spots atm.
    I honestly think the best place for grabovski is Ottawa. He wants to live near Toronto because of his wife and Ottawa has a very high offensive scoring system. Don't see him succeeding on any other potential playoff team.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    Kinda shocked Detroit didn't re-sign clearly, always liked what he brang to a team
    His knees are falling apart. I love the guy, everyone Detroit fan does, he is absolutely a Red Wing, but we don't refer to his Old Man Knee's for nothing. Sounds like he is probably going to get 3 years and $8 million from the Wings though. That is shitastic.

What pisses me off about the Wings even thinking about bringing Buckets back is that it is going to make cutting to roster size even harder. The Wings will have to waive or trade two-three guys. That means they are likely going to have to send out some combination of Tatar, Emmerton, Eaves, Nyquist, Tootoo, and maybe guys like Bert or Samuelsson if someone will take them (Sammy is too injured to waive). Barring a trade for a significant asset (aka Keith Yandle for Tatar, another prospect or 2, and a pick as the Yotes are facing cap issues), there is going to be a whole lot of pissed Wings fans when a couple of these kids lose their future with the franchise for Bucket's broken knees.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    I'm surprised Brunner hasn't signed anywhere yet. I haven't heard anything about his contract demands, is he just asking for too much money for someone with only ~45 games of NHL experience?
    He wants $3-3.5 per year for 3-4 years. Not horrible, but I don't know if he has earned that term and money yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Roy is a Blue.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-07-06 at 10:32 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping the Flames would try to throw a contract at Grabovski, they could still. I would assume that after getting a taste of some playoff hockey, he would rather go to a playoff team but one thing would be guarenteed - he would get icetime here. He's a centerman and he's not super old so he would be a good fit for us, but I don't know what kind of a free agent would want to come to a rebuilding team especially coming from a kind of rebuilding team.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthvendor View Post
    I'll be really disappointed if they trade away Simmonds. I honestly dont know who is available for D, whether through UFA or trade, but something needs to be done there. Would be nice to find a way to get rid of Mez's contract, unless they put him on LTIR in October.
    That seems to be the plan. Mez and Pronger's contracts are coming off for LTIR, freeing about 8 mil for us.