rangers are killing it early on, and apparently pittsburg isnt going down without a fight

15+ Year Old Account
    Just a reminder to late-comers that we have an IRC hockey channel up. 15 people in there now!

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=#mmoc-hockey

10+ Year Old Account
    nice to see the zetterberg/datsyuk is still fallen for... hold the guys stick with ur arm, and get a penalty call

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Torres has been suspended indefinitely and will have a hearing with Shanahan on Friday.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 05:51 PM ----------

Also, I'd like to weigh in on this "violence" in the post season, and my thoughts on how these suspensions, as well as the officiating, are handling the game.

I'd like to lay some onus on the officials, the Torres hit on Hossa last night is a blatant display of failings by the officials. There are plenty of these issues arising and it's been a consistent for the last few years. If a guy is laid out on the ice from a hit and your 4 on ice officials didn't see it, how did he get there and why isn't there anything being done about it? If there is on ice officiating issues, then why can't we have off ice officiating for illegal hits? Bettman seems to think that they should reduce the number of officials on the ice, yet that seems completely asinine when you have these kinds of issues.

Also, I am on both sides of the fence when it comes to fighting and violence in hockey, especially in the post season. I don't mind seeing some fights and hard hits, however there is no line because the players haven't seen one drawn yet. So is the Torres hit going to start the domino effect and is he going to be suspended for a substantial duration as a repeat offender? I want to see fighting and hitting in hockey, especially in the playoffs. I don't want to watch international style hockey where there isn't a lot of hitting, no fighting and a slower pace. The grit and toughness is what makes hockey great, and it needs to remain that way.

What's hurting hockey's image? It's not the toughness, it's not the grit, it's not the fighting, it's the respect! Players have no respect for one another, and that's one of the reasons causing these illegal hits. I haven't seen any hits where you could lay the blame on the player who is victim to an illegal hit this season, those that were dirty you blame the hitter for. These negative actions are tarnishing the reputation of the NHL. I don't want to see the physicality taken out of the game, and it's high time players started respecting one another.
    I think this pretty much sums everything up pretty nicely.

The hit was an absolute blatant disregard for the wellbeing of a fellow player.

The Shaw hit is another one. Shanahan has indicated that the lack of an injury mitigated the punishment, but I think that's a terrible attitude to have when you're trying to curtail this kind of behaviour. The fact of the matter is, Shaw very evidently made an attempt to take Smith out of the game/series. It shouldn't matter that he was unsuccessful in doing so. It also shouldn't matter whether or not a players is a 'repeat-offender.'

Removing the physical nature of the game would cause more harm than good. Contact changes the way teams build themselves, how they design and execute their plays, adds dynamics to both the offence and defence of the game. I am one who thinks, though, that any headshot, intentional or otherwise, should be met with a reprimand. Players are told that they need to be in complete control of their stick at all times, as it acts as an extension of their body. Doesn't matter whether or not you intended to clip a player with your stick, you get a penalty. The same needs to go for the rest of the player's body. This sets the groundwork for harsher penalization for instances where head-contact is blatant and vicious.

I do believe that Shanahan needs to start making a martyr out of the next few players who show this sort of apathy and disrespect towards the health of others. It's the only way to mitigate the behaviour, IMHO. I hope he makes an example out of Torres.
    Last edited by Bashkar; 2012-04-19 at 12:22 AM.

Deleted
    Philly and Pittsburgh just aren't giving up... From 1-0 to 1-2... After about a minute it's 3-2... Few minutes after, Pittsburgh is back in the lead with 3-4 and it's not even end of first period... These two are just playing some atomic hockey.

Hopefully Pittsburgh wins tonight so they can play few more matches. Best series this year so far in my eyes.

video game in philadelphia
    why dont they just take the goalies out? they might as well not be there.

edit: looks like philly pulled Bryzgalov. Whos in there now?
    Last edited by Logonov; 2012-04-19 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

What ever will PHI or PIT do when they advance to find teams with good defence/goaltending?

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching this Phi/Pit game is like watching Hypnotoad. I have no idea what im watching.

Bobrovsky is in net for the Flyers. Bryz was doing a little better, in my opinion.

The problem (in this game anyway) hasn't so much been goaltending, though. The Flyers aren't passing well and they can't keep possession of the puck. Too many garbage turnovers.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

It seems the players think they're in an all-star game.

15+ Year Old Account
    First Alfredsson, now it looks like Spezza is injured too... not good.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashkar View Post
    I think this pretty much sums everything up pretty nicely.

The hit was an absolute blatant disregard for the wellbeing of a fellow player.

The Shaw hit is another one. Shanahan has indicated that the lack of an injury mitigated the punishment, but I think that's a terrible attitude to have when you're trying to curtail this kind of behaviour. The fact of the matter is, Shaw very evidently made an attempt to take Smith out of the game/series. It shouldn't matter that he was unsuccessful in doing so. It also shouldn't matter whether or not a players is a 'repeat-offender.'
    I don't know how you can even say that Shaw's intent was to remove smith from the series. He may have made Shoulder to head contact, but he didn't lead with the Shoulder.. he actually pulled back his shoulder as he was about to make contact. Shaw also doesn't leave his feet, his only intent was to play the puck... Like others have said, he didn't make enough of an attempt to avoid Smith. Don't try to argue with me on this, because you're wrong and im right. 3 games was too much.

Everything you said that doesn't deal with Shaw I agree with, have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Rangers forgot there are three periods.

Quote Originally Posted by adece View Post
    [...] I don't see how the Rangers-Ottawa could be finished in less than 6 games, for either side.
    Just want to throw this in here.
    CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0) // Corsair AX650 // Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB // Kingston HyperX 120GB
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WB // Intel 3570K // [HEATSINK?] // Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB // Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB OC
    Dell U2312HM // Logitech Z313 // Logitech C525 // Steelseries Sensei // Steelseries Shift

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy something you once said was correct, great work.

Didn't get to see the LA/Vancouver game but it looks like Canucks finally found a way to beat the god in net. Rangers/Sens game was great, glad to see Ottawa hanging in there and I've found myself cheering for them. I have favourites in every series but I'm only cheering for a couple teams. Coyotes, Whoever faces the Canucks, Florida, and now Ottawa. Great round so far, can't wait to see each game of each series so far except Blues/Sharks!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Flyvers vs Penguins is have been far the best serie to watch imo. Offense offense offense, I really hope we can get 7 games, who the winner is I don't care aslong as we get 7 games.
    Looks like the Nucks wont be sweeped.. Down 3-1 I still belive LA will take it.
    Tonight Hawks, it's to to beat those Coyotes bastard, without going into AOT.. Cmon you guys!
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Oh boy something you once said was correct, great work.

Didn't get to see the LA/Vancouver game but it looks like Canucks finally found a way to beat the god in net. Rangers/Sens game was great, glad to see Ottawa hanging in there and I've found myself cheering for them. I have favourites in every series but I'm only cheering for a couple teams. Coyotes, Whoever faces the Canucks, Florida, and now Ottawa. Great round so far, can't wait to see each game of each series so far except Blues/Sharks!
    The rhythm the Canucks had this evening with Daniel Sedin back was perfect, and the team started playing overall better hockey - smarter hockey.
    They kept the stupid penalties to a minimum, and they played the technical game they won the President's trophy with.

If they can keep a momentum going, and get some much-needed support at home games - none of this "well they're losing so it's time to go silent" they had in the first two games - then they might have a chance.

I just hate that the only hope of a Canadian cup run is currently in the hands of the Ottawa Senators. :|

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrwaherr View Post
    Watching this Phi/Pit game is like watching Hypnotoad. I have no idea what im watching.
    I know what you were watching, that homer Wes McCauley handing the Penguins a game they should have lost by calling retarded penalties against the Flyers. I turned it off after the game went 7-3 because I was absolutely disgusted at the officiating and how biased it was.

It's good to see that there are other games that are actually not a freak show though, the Sens really battled for that win last night and deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grrwaherr View Post
    ^ this comments epic win!
    saw PIT VS PHI and im like WTF... 10/3? jesus christ ive never seen so many goals in a playoffs game in my entire life.... its like the defense took a permanent vacation or somethings a miss.

VA/Kings.. im still skeptical about the nucks chances.. Schneider is playing awesome and the Sedins are finally visible again but the chance of winning 3 more games is kinda low.. if we do get booted i hope we can dump Loungo and atleast keep Schneider.. Lou is a good goalie but hes very inconsistent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't expecting Fleury and Quick to let in the same amount of goals.