10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, actually looking at Corvo, Bruins got quite the steal for only a 4th rounder.

10+ Year Old Account
    yep. I'll take 40 pts at 2.25mil for a 47 pts at 4.25 mil any day of the week. Kaberle has the potential to be a more impact guy, but you cant argue with the numbers.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    This inspired me to have a look back at Milbury's GM career and have a hearty chuckle at his "accomplishments":

13-Mar-96: New York Islanders traded Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty, Kenny Jonsson and 1st round selection (Roberto Luongo) in 1997.

25-Aug-97: New York Islanders traded Dan Lacouture to the Edmonton Oilers for Mariusz Czerkawski.

20-Mar-99: New York Islanders traded Tommy Salo to the Edmonton Oilers for Mats Lindgren and 8th round selection (Radek Martinek) in 1999.

19-Jun-99: New York Islanders traded Zigmund Palffy, Bryan Smolinski, Marcel Cousineau and 4th round selection (previously acquired from the New Jersey Devils - Daniel Johansson) in 1999 to the Los Angeles Kings for Olli Jokinen, Josh Green, Mathieu Biron and 1st round selection (Taylor Pyatt) in 1999.

19-Dec-99: New York Islanders traded Felix Potvin, a 2nd round selection (later traded to New Jersey - Teemu Laine) in 2000 and a 3rd round selection (Thatcher Bell) in 2000 to the Vancouver Canucks for Kevin Weekes, Bill Muckalt and Dave Scatchard.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Eric Brewer, Josh Green and 2nd round selection (Brad Winchester) in 2000 to the Edmonton Oilers for Roman Hamrlik.
    24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Kevin Weekes, the rights of Kristian Kudroc and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Phoenix - Matthew Spiller) in 2001 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 1st round selection (Raffi Torres) in 2000, 4th round selection (previously acquired - Vladimir Gorbunov) in 2000 and 7th round selection (previously acquired - Ryan Caldwell) in 2000.

03-Jan-01: Los Angeles Kings traded Jason Blake to the New York Islanders for a 5th round selection (Joel Andresen) in 2002.

22-Jun-01: New York Islanders traded Mathieu Biron and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Washington, later traded to Vancouver - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Adrian Aucoin and Alexander Kharitonov.

23-Jun-01: Ottawa Senators traded Alexei Yashin to the New York Islanders for Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt and 1st round selection (Jason Spezza) in 2001.

24-Jun-01: Buffalo Sabres traded Michael Peca to the New York Islanders for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt.

22-Jun-02: New York Islanders traded Mariusz Czerkawski to the Montreal Canadiens for Arron Asham and a 5th round selection (Markus Pahlsson) in 2002.

11-Mar-03: New York Islanders traded Chris Osgood and a 3rd round selection in 2003 to the St. Louis Blues for Justin Papineau and a 2nd round selection in 2003.

11-Mar-03: Edmonton Oilers traded Janne Niinimaa and a 2nd round selection in 2003 to the New York Islanders for Brad Isbister and Raffi Torres.

That is a pretty amazing history of ineptitude lol. Look at all the huge names on that list that he dealt away for has-beens, aging players, or nobodies. They are almost all very, very bad in retrospect, but giving away a first round pick for free is just beyond terrible. Look at some of the other RFA deals this offseason. Wisnewski's rights traded to the Jackets for a 5th. Had the Jackets offer sheeted him, the compensation would have been a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Same thing for Bryzgalov in Philly who gave up a third for his rights. Milbury's moves are all terrible in retrospect, and were mostly terrible at the time, but Sherman's move is just inexcusibly awful. Its like going to a gas station, buying a $1 bottle of pop, giving them a $100 bill and telling them to keep the change.
    He was as bad as John Ferguson Junior was in Toronto, same kind of tenure too. No wonder the Islanders have been so fucked for so long. When you give up some of the best talent in the world for absolute shit, I mean they potentially had 3 of the greatest goalies of the last 20 years at one time, Luongo, Potvin and Osgood, along with a whole ton of other great players. There is a reason why he is out of a job now and no one will hire him to do anything, he fucking fails at hockey and doesn't know shit. Leafs fans who still complain about JFJ, at least he didn't trade away elite talent for complete nobodies, he just traded away youth for older players and dudes with injury problems.

Edit: Good to see the Leafs ink MacArthur to a contract extension, I cross my fingers he is every bit as amazing this coming season as he was last. Watch his line this year with Grabovski and Kulemin, those 3 were outstanding last season and combined for around 175 points last season, hopefully their chemistry remains and they repeat their production. Toronto also signed a goalie out of Sweden named Mark Owuya who is 23 years old the other day, he is apparently half Russian and half Ugandan and will more than likely fill the depth chart with Ben Scrivens in the Marlies since it looks like and thankfully, Burke is going with Reimer and Gustavsson as the goalies this coming season.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-07-06 at 05:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    anyone hear on when the jets plan to release the new logo and jerseys?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    anyone hear on when the jets plan to release the new logo and jerseys?
    True North stated that it will be sometime this summer. They are in the process of developing it.
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...124533204.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    He was as bad as John Ferguson Junior was in Toronto, same kind of tenure too. No wonder the Islanders have been so fucked for so long. When you give up some of the best talent in the world for absolute shit, I mean they potentially had 3 of the greatest goalies of the last 20 years at one time, Luongo, Potvin and Osgood, along with a whole ton of other great players. There is a reason why he is out of a job now and no one will hire him to do anything, he fucking fails at hockey and doesn't know shit. Leafs fans who still complain about JFJ, at least he didn't trade away elite talent for complete nobodies, he just traded away youth for older players and dudes with injury problems.

Edit: Good to see the Leafs ink MacArthur to a contract extension, I cross my fingers he is every bit as amazing this coming season as he was last. Watch his line this year with Grabovski and Kulemin, those 3 were outstanding last season and combined for around 175 points last season, hopefully their chemistry remains and they repeat their production. Toronto also signed a goalie out of Sweden named Mark Owuya who is 23 years old the other day, he is apparently half Russian and half Ugandan and will more than likely fill the depth chart with Ben Scrivens in the Marlies since it looks like and thankfully, Burke is going with Reimer and Gustavsson as the goalies this coming season.
    As glad as I am to see him stay, bc I do like him a lot as a player, I still felt he should have been willing to sign for less for at least one more year. Especially since we were the only team willing to give him a chance, and there's no guarantee that he will have another season as good as the last.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hence why the Leafs didn't give him more then 3.25 million, even though he was easily worth 4 million after a season like his last year. Career high in points, first player to score 4 goals in his first 4 games as a Leaf in franchise history, made Grabovski and Kulemin into even better players as well. That's going to be a dynamic line again this coming season no doubt, I have no doubts that MacArthur plays just as well as he did last season, if he plays all the way through with some level of consistency though the whole line will do even better. But no point in giving him too much money to not perform to it's value, or giving him too little and ripping him off for a couple of years. I think the deal was pretty fair for both sides.

15+ Year Old Account
    So Minnesota's owner Craig Leipold was on the radio today, and may have leaked the current plan for NHL divisions. According to Leipold:
    Our division would include the Winnipeg Jets, us, the Blues, the Nashville Predators, the Dallas Stars, Chicago Blackhawks, and maybe the Columbus Blue Jackets… maybe not depending on if they go east or west. I am all in favor of that. I think that is a grand slam, home run, hat trick for our team.
    We’re all Central Division now. All of our teams, except for Columbus, all of our teams will be Central [time zone]. We’ll play less teams in Canada. We will play every team home and away at least one time.
    So essentially at present, Detroit is an Eastern conference team in the NHL's plans. The balanced schedule would have every NHL team playing every other team twice, once at home once on the road. From the teams listed, it looks like there will be four divisions, two 7s two 8s the Central being a 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every team playing each other twice is fucking awesome.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The less times I have to see the Habs and Senators the happier I will be.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, rumours of the rights to Stamkos being traded to Toronto or Montreal have begun on Twitter. It's clear the Lightning can't get anything done with his contract and he would get more from other teams, why not give him up for 4 years worth of talent?

10+ Year Old Account
    So, rumours of the rights to Stamkos being traded to Toronto or Montreal have begun on Twitter. It's clear the Lightning can't get anything done with his contract and he would get more from other teams, why not give him up for 4 years worth of talent?
    I'm guessing in the end he will sign with them he may just be trying to get more money because they said they would match everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think it is an absolute no brainer to deal picks for Stamkos either in a trade or an RFA offer sheet scenario. Why the hell not? If you are a team that is one superstar away from being a Cup contender why not go for it now, and for the next decade with how young Stamkos is, rather than draft 4 guys over the next 4 years and likely not see one of them until a couple years from now?

I wouldn't put a single gram of weight into those rumors though. If it isn't on TSN or isn't being tweeted by Bob McKenzie or Darren Dreger of TSN chances are it is utter bullshit. In the last hour, having searched for Stamkos on twitter, there are rumors of him going to the following teams:
    New York Rangers
    Philadelphia Flyers
    Los Angeles Kings
    Buffalo Sabres
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Tampa Bay

---------- Post added 2011-07-11 at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    I'm guessing in the end he will sign with them he may just be trying to get more money because they said they would match everything.
    It is obviously a money or term issue at this point. Offer sheets aren't even a factor in negotiations as none of the GMs in the NHL have the balls to offer sheet a superstar. The chances of another team coming in and offer sheeting Stamkos and thereby forcing Yzerman to sign him to that deal are practically 0. If another team was to offer sheet him it would be only because talks have completely broken down and Tampa is trying to move him but wants proper compensation. That frankly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I could see Stamkos wanting to go to the Leafs or another up and coming team. Not that Tampa wasn't good last year and will be good again this year, they just lack room to grow because the team is so incredibly handicapped by bad deals signed by the last GM and owner. He could go back to Canada and be an absolute megastar. Imagine Stamkos on the Leafs. He would be the biggest thing in Canada. In Florida, he is probably 17th or so among most popular athletes behind Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Howard, other guys on the Magic, a couple of Rays and Marlins, Josh Freeman and a couple other Bucs, the Florida Gators, and Tim Tebow even though Tebow isn't at Florida anymore. In the Southern US he is a nobody outside of the arena. In Canada he would be a god.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-07-11 at 05:53 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Tampa has to move like 4 million dollars worth of salary to match a league maximum offer sheet of 10.2 million. The problem is that they can't give him the ultimate contract because Lecavalier's contract hand cuffed them on the salary cap, not to mention it lasts for another like 8 years and it's nearly impossible to unload it via a trade and even on waivers no one is going to pay a 32 year old forward somewhere around 5 million considering his health issues last season. Sure, if he rebounds then maybe you could trade him as a salary dump. I would think that Toronto has some interest in a guy like Stamkos, rather then Lecavalier because of his contract and his age. I mean, if Vinny were 4 years younger and didn't have a contract lasting until he was 40 with a high cap hit, a lot of teams would probably go after him in order for Tampa to sign Stamkos, but then they lose one of their best center players.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see Stamkos go to Buffalo, really proving that they in fact, have an owner willing to spend now.
    Out of all the teams listed, Rangers seem like the plausible option.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I'd love to see Stamkos go to Buffalo, really proving that they in fact, have an owner willing to spend now.
    Out of all the teams listed, Rangers seem like the plausible option.
    Unless the Sabres deal about 4 guys back to Tampa for Stamkos, not gonna happen. The Sabres are literally THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND away from the beginning of the season salary cap. And that is without a back up goalie and likely one more roster slot to fill to hit 22. They could always dump Vanek and his hilariously overpriced contract on the Islanders, Avs, or Preds who are significantly under floor still. The Islanders still need to spend $11 million just to hit the cap floor lol.

In other Lolanders related news, the deal that Milbury made to bring Yashin in and then give him a bad contract is still hurting the Isles lol. He hasn't played a game for them since 2007, but is still being paid $2 million per year for the next two years for his buyout. Technically I suppose that helps the Isles as I believe that counts towards their cap and is helping them get to the cap floor. Please, voters of wherever the fuck the Islanders play, do not approve that stadium deal. Clearly Wang has given up on the team and the area or else he would be investing in the team. He already knows the deal is likely to get shot down, attendance will continue to suck, and the team will lose money. I can almost hear them chanting 2014 Quebec Nordiques from here...

10+ Year Old Account
    Difference between I'd love to see, and am expecting to see
    And yeah Vanek's contract was just Buffalo panicking and not wanting to lose all 3 of their top forwards.
    Wang killed the Islanders by hiring Snow and wanting too much control.

P.S. Mike Milbury. Lol.
    Last edited by Irony; 2011-07-11 at 09:58 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tampa has to move like 4 million dollars worth of salary to match a league maximum offer sheet of 10.2 million. The problem is that they can't give him the ultimate contract because Lecavalier's contract hand cuffed them on the salary cap, not to mention it lasts for another like 8 years and it's nearly impossible to unload it via a trade and even on waivers no one is going to pay a 32 year old forward somewhere around 5 million considering his health issues last season. Sure, if he rebounds then maybe you could trade him as a salary dump. I would think that Toronto has some interest in a guy like Stamkos, rather then Lecavalier because of his contract and his age. I mean, if Vinny were 4 years younger and didn't have a contract lasting until he was 40 with a high cap hit, a lot of teams would probably go after him in order for Tampa to sign Stamkos, but then they lose one of their best center players.
    The Lightning don't have to move any contracts to sign Stamkos to even a league max $12.3 million/year deal. They have roughly $14 million in space with Stamkos and one other player to sign. They have the room so maybe Stamkos is just fed up with Tampa Bay. And ya, christ that Vinny contract is a thing of terribleness. $7.7 per year and it doesn't end until 2020. The last GM was such a putz. Stamkos likely wants a contract that comes close to that deal in money and probably lasts as long in term and frankly I doubt he is going to get it. He probably doesn't want the laugher years on the back end where the salary drops to $1 million to get the cap hit to a manageable number. Thats all I can think of that would hold up this process this long unless he flat out doesn't want to be in Tampa at this point.

Another reason Tampa can't give him a huge deal is that they are going to be buyers at the trade deadline or earlier for sure. They lost a lot of fire power that helped them in the playoffs this offseason to free agency. They are going to need another second line type of guy come playoffs. If Stamkos' cap hit is $7-9 million that is going to be damn impossible to do.

---------- Post added 2011-07-11 at 06:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Difference between I'd love to see, and am expecting to see
    And yeah Vanek's contract was just Buffalo panicking and not wanting to lose all 3 of their top forwards.
    Wang killed the Islanders by hiring Snow and wanting too much control.

P.S. Mike Milbury. Lol.
    As a Wings fan, Snow can lick my sack for signing Nabokov, but he hasn't been a terrible GM for what he has had to deal with so far with incredibly tight purse stings. They have a lot of really young talent on that team with fairly great deals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will always be known as the GM who signed a meh goalie at best, for 15 years. And as for the young talent? When you're in the top 5 worst team almost every year, you'll gonna get some young talent