15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    The Giroux hit did deserve a suspension, pretty clear headshot and reckless play. Very surprised over this suspension though.
    It definitely did deserve a suspension. It was a completely reckless play. The decision spits in the face of precedent though which is my issue. I think this decision has burned my last bridge with Shanny as the league disciplinarian. If you are the players you absolutely need to fight to get some sort of council set up and a more established discipline policy this offseason. Even the Wheel of Justice website couldn't predict this one lol. I keep getting hockey play or paltry fine over and over because Giroux is a star and has no history. The NHL must have like a separate set of wheels for Flyers players.

Deleted
    The Flyers are fucked now.

Anyway, the hit deserved a suspension, Giroux was frustrated and nailed the first guy that happened to cross his path. With a check to the head. Yup, that's a game alright, I'm definitely with Shanny there.

Right decision if you ask me. Doesn't matter that they were completely and utterly wrong with Weber earlier in the playoffs, here they made the right call. And that's what counts in my opinion.

I agree, I think if they gave a 1 game suspension to Giroux for that hit, no way Ovechkin shouldn't have got a suspension for his hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    It definitely did deserve a suspension. It was a completely reckless play. The decision spits in the face of precedent though which is my issue.
    So you'd prefer a consistent call over the right call. In the case of referees, I'd agree with you. If they make a wrong call on one team, whether it was too strict or too lenient, I'm okay with it as long as they do the same with the other team. But when it comes to league discipline, they need to make the right call. I think everyone in the NHL is aware that the Weber incident was a screw up on their part, mostly because everyone including their own grandmothers has told them so, and they shouldn't use a miscall as precedent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    So you'd prefer a consistent call over the right call. In the case of referees, I'd agree with you. If they make a wrong call on one team, whether it was too strict or too lenient, I'm okay with it as long as they do the same with the other team. But when it comes to league discipline, they need to make the right call. I think everyone in the NHL is aware that the Weber incident was a screw up on their part, mostly because everyone including their own grandmothers has told them so, and they shouldn't use a miscall as precedent.
    I'd rather them make the right calls the first time rather than make the wrong call repeatedly then get it right on a crucial player in a crucial game. The Weber call was so wrong it is comical. Ovechkin has no business at all in being on the ice tonight. He charged and hit a guy in the head last game. Left his feet like he does a lot and hit him square in the head. Yet no suspension (or fine afaik) despite being a repeat offender. Frankly, yes in this case I would rather they got it wrong again and matched their precedent, especially with him having no prior offenses, than to randomly boost up their punishments because they knew they fucked it up before. The Giroux suspension doesn't make up for the Weber or Ovechkin non-suspensions. I would rather them be consistently wrong because at least that would make them appear to have a fixed set of rules about this stuff rather than flip flop between suspending and fining every other offense while constantly ignoring their previous decisions or lack thereof.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canucks have extended Mike Gillis apparently, yet no one is going to care since its the playoffs

I think something that is ignored with all these head shots is making full face visors mandatory. Granted they look stupid but I think it would really cut down on some of these injuries from headshots. Half the reason these guys are getting concussed so bad is because their face is getting smashed straight into the glass or boards or they are getting rock hard shoulderpad or elbow straight to the face. Having the mask their as a buffer I think would of helped a lot of these guys. Not to mention the other benefits

I played league hockey all my life and there is no denying that facemasks in hockey saves future careers and lives because of what I said above. Is it really worth risking more serious injury anymore for cosmetics and feeling like your heads more mobile. It just seems like needless risk for these guys to me. Especially in recent years with the game opening up more and players being faster.

I also agree that if Ovechkin didn't get suspended then Giroux shouldn't. Pretty much the same type of thing. Guys getting a little to passionate and crossing the line. They both should of got time. I also agree that they really need to address making more consistent punishment for this. They have been all over the place all year.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-05-08 at 01:23 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    With about a minute left in the 3rd, I was going to say "Washington is finally going to win a game where the other team scores first"

Glad I waited.

ups and downs all post season for ward
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    So close for Smith.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 09:39 PM ----------

And now the Western Conference Final is between two Pacific teams.

Okay, Northwest and Central fans. Group hug of shame.

There there, there there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    So close for Smith.

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 09:39 PM ----------

And now the Western Conference Final is between two Pacific teams.

Okay, Northwest and Central fans. Group hug of shame.

There there, there there.
    yeah but everyone knows the NW sucks...
    Seriously though...Phoenix Coyotes are in the Western Conference Finals...Bee Are Bee, Heart Attack.

Well pretty decent season, too bad it ended up going down in flames with help from the Russian duo.

Anyways, I got a strange feeling LA is probably going to the SCF. Coming out of this series I really don't think Smith is nearly as good as he is being touted. I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, but he is very beatable if you can get in close and get the puck up. He's sound technically, and he's a big body in net, but when it comes to pulling an amazing save, I would take Rinne twice on Sunday over him. Had we been able to hit anything but the back glass or his chest with a shot, this thing wouldn't of been a lot different.

Don't wanna take anything away from Phoenix, they earned the win, just don't think Smith is nearly as awesome as they are trying to make him out to be. I think Quick is a much better goalie.

Anyways I guess I'll be rooting for LA, something I never thought I would say. Shoot at this point I hope they win, I'm already picturing half the hockey fans in the world looking for an * if Phoenix were to win it all. I'm not sure I could handle the crazy conspiracy theory chat all summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incoming epic series between Kings and Coyotes? Excellent. Go Kings!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well pretty decent season, too bad it ended up going down in flames with help from the Russian duo.

Anyways, I got a strange feeling LA is probably going to the SCF. Coming out of this series I really don't think Smith is nearly as good as he is being touted. I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, but he is very beatable if you can get in close and get the puck up. He's sound technically, and he's a big body in net, but when it comes to pulling an amazing save, I would take Rinne twice on Sunday over him. Had we been able to hit anything but the back glass or his chest with a shot, this thing wouldn't of been a lot different.

Don't wanna take anything away from Phoenix, they earned the win, just don't think Smith is nearly as awesome as they are trying to make him out to be. I think Quick is a much better goalie.

Anyways I guess I'll be rooting for LA, something I never thought I would say. Shoot at this point I hope they win, I'm already picturing half the hockey fans in the world looking for an * if Phoenix were to win it all. I'm not sure I could handle the crazy conspiracy theory chat all summer.
    Did you not watch any of the Yotes/Hawks series? I agree Quick is the better goalie but to say Smith isn't as good as people say is too much. Quick also has a much better defense around him than Smith. He didn't have it during the regular season but he now has goal support, something Smith doesn't have usually. They showed a graphic of shots on Jonathon Quick and there is a whole lot at his feet, something he covers extremely well. Both goalies have been superman between the pipes, I didn't think Smith would be able to carry it over after round 1 but he did. I've learn my lesson and I'm not going to doubt him and the Coyotes anymore. Not saying they're going to beat L.A. but I don't think it will be as easy as everyone probably thinks it will be. Mike Smith completely outplayed Rinne in this series, Rinne didn't look as good as he usually is.

ps if you get in close and shoot high you beat every goalie, not just Mike Smith lol. *Maybe not Rinne since he's 6'30"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Did you not watch any of the Yotes/Hawks series? I agree Quick is the better goalie but to say Smith isn't as good as people say is too much. Quick also has a much better defense around him than Smith. He didn't have it during the regular season but he now has goal support, something Smith doesn't have usually. They showed a graphic of shots on Jonathon Quick and there is a whole lot at his feet, something he covers extremely well. Both goalies have been superman between the pipes, I didn't think Smith would be able to carry it over after round 1 but he did. I've learn my lesson and I'm not going to doubt him and the Coyotes anymore. Not saying they're going to beat L.A. but I don't think it will be as easy as everyone probably thinks it will be. Mike Smith completely outplayed Rinne in this series, Rinne didn't look as good as he usually is.

ps if you get in close and shoot high you beat every goalie, not just Mike Smith lol. *Maybe not Rinne since he's 6'30"

Oh I think Smith is a perfectly fine goalie, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guy is trash or anything, I just don't think the guy is some unstoppable force either. I'll agree that Rinne didn't look his best at the start of the series, but games 3-5 he played more than well enough for this team to win. Team wise our defense wasn't all that great in this series, minus game 3 which we won.

The reason I make my comments about Smith is the fact his stats look great, til you break it all down and look at our offensive stats. Hornquist and Fisher alone missed 6 point blank wide open nets in game 4, I'm talking had Smith dead to rights, and didn't even force Smith to make a save. Most of the rest of the time we put the puck right in his chest, and any goalie in the NHL is gonna look like a god when you do that. There is no doubt that Smith is technically sound, and you are going to need to make a good shot to beat him, but if you go back and watch most of the series you will see the difference in the two teams. Phoenix at least put the puck on net when they had chances, we couldn't even find it something like 70% of the time.

I'm not taking anything away from Smith or Phoenix, they played Preds hockey better than the Preds did and they deserved to move on. I still feel like after it is all over and looking back we pretty much handed the dang thing too them on a silver platter. This one stings far worse than the Vancouver series last season, I felt like in that one we just plain got beat by a stonger team. This year though we just flat gave it away.

Probably be a few years before we have an opportunity like we did this year, cause I have strong feeling we are about to have some pretty serious roster turn over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh I think Smith is a perfectly fine goalie, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guy is trash or anything, I just don't think the guy is some unstoppable force either. I'll agree that Rinne didn't look his best at the start of the series, but games 3-5 he played more than well enough for this team to win. Team wise our defense wasn't all that great in this series, minus game 3 which we won.

The reason I make my comments about Smith is the fact his stats look great, til you break it all down and look at our offensive stats. Hornquist and Fisher alone missed 6 point blank wide open nets in game 4, I'm talking had Smith dead to rights, and didn't even force Smith to make a save. Most of the rest of the time we put the puck right in his chest, and any goalie in the NHL is gonna look like a god when you do that. There is no doubt that Smith is technically sound, and you are going to need to make a good shot to beat him, but if you go back and watch most of the series you will see the difference in the two teams. Phoenix at least put the puck on net when they had chances, we couldn't even find it something like 70% of the time.

I'm not taking anything away from Smith or Phoenix, they played Preds hockey better than the Preds did and they deserved to move on. I still feel like after it is all over and looking back we pretty much handed the dang thing too them on a silver platter. This one stings far worse than the Vancouver series last season, I felt like in that one we just plain got beat by a stonger team. This year though we just flat gave it away.

Probably be a few years before we have an opportunity like we did this year, cause I have strong feeling we are about to have some pretty serious roster turn over.
    the problem is nashville burned all its luck getting past the red wings. i lost count of the times lucky bounces landed you a goal or stopped a potential wings goal. your bank was empty.

10+ Year Old Account
    O
    Your point could of been considered valid, had Mike Smith not been this fantastic almost all season and every playoff game. Smith has faced the most shots by 50 over second place Lundqvist; who has also played an additional game. Save percentage is usually more telling of how a goaltender is performing, he is .01 behind Quick, who averages 6 less shots per game and has faced the feeble offensives. (Yes Vancouver without D.Sedin was pretty terrible.)
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-05-08 at 10:21 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear philly, your d keeps moving up for big hits.. and getting big cheers.. and leaving u open for 2 on 1.... you see why you are losing.
    Last edited by Masqerader; 2012-05-09 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Rangers better make the conference finals, so at least 1 team isn't a surprise.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    The Rangers better make the conference finals, so at least 1 team isn't a surprise.
    anyone who was paying attention at teh beginning of the year saw that the kings had a good chance of making it that far.
    but yeah...NJ/PHX? wtf.