15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    You know what doesn't make them any money at all? A friggin lock out.
    Considering several teams lose money like crazy and the league continues to own the black hole in Phoenix, some owners might call a lockout a financial win.

Speaking of the Yotes, the group gathering signatures to get the lease agreement on the ballot turned in their signatures, a few hundred short, on Thursday, after Glendale's deadline but before the deadline they said they should have from when the agreement papers were filed. Glendale is saying they don't count and are going forward with the lease deal. The petitioners claim that the number of signatures should be lower than the 1800 Glendale claims. In Arizona a petition must have signatures equal 10% of the voters in the previous election. Glendale claims that the numbers be based on the 2008 Mayoral elections while the petitioners say it should be based on the 2010 vote for state reps. The petitioners also claim that the city clerk refused to provide them with the proper documents following the city council vote on the lease.

Glendale is also going forward with the sales tax funding that deal claiming that the language in the petition is misleading (lol) and they consider it invalid despite it having double the required signatures. They also say it is invalid because each petition lacks a serial number and it wasn't handed in four months prior to city election in August and yes that makes no sense since it was approved June 12th lol. Interested parties have until Monday to sue the City of Glendale to make this a court issue whether the signatures are valid and the agreements should be ballot votes. So, expect both groups to sue and expect this to get dragged out for ever more time.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-07-14 at 09:29 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    I've been hearing rumors that the Bruins may possibly try and get Bobby Ryan from Anaheim. Word is that we could potentially get him for Krejci and a 1st round pick. If I'm Chiarelli, I would jump all over that. He would be an amazing addition to the team. Imagine a top line of Marchand-Seguin-Ryan. Then our second line would be Lucic-Bergeron-Horton(once he's healthy) which is another damn good line. I have no idea how accurate these rumors are as it's just been on the local sports talk radio channel that I've been hearing it. But, if it's possible, it would be amazing.
    Chiarelli can have fun fighting with Burke for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    the owners won the last cba.. i mean Minnesota spent 196 million on players... i hope they don't get money from revenue sharing

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    NHL made its first CBA proposal yesterday and wow.
    -Reduces players share of hockey related revenue(HRR) to 46% from the current 57%
    -A radical redefinition of HHR which essentially results in a 22% reduction from the current HRR share
    -Players would face an immediate 22% paycut with that HRR model
    -Term limits on contracts of 5 years
    -No salary arbitration hearings
    -Entry level contracts are 5 years instead of 3
    -10 years in the NHL before you become a UFA at contract expiration
    -Cap floor $8 million under median, cap ceiling only $4 million above because that makes sense right? It isn't like the owners are constantly whining about having to spend to the cap floor resulting in lost profits.

Pretty brutal terms. Obviously this is just the opening salvo and those terms will improve, but it is painfully obvious the owners are looking to take even more money away from the players despite the growing success of the league (in most markets not located in Phoenix).
    That has to be one of the most absurd contract proposals ever created. The league isn't losing money even if the Coyotes are a money pit of doom and a few other teams couldn't get asses in their seats if they paid people. The league as a whole is profitable, there are more teams generating revenue now then there was before the last lockout, and the league as a whole is far more competitive, ticket sales are at an all time high for many teams and any fears of financial losses could be remedied by retracting the number of teams and getting rid of those that are not generating any revenue at all. I have no idea what goes into revenue sharing among players, but with teams it's absolutely retarded that money pits like Phoenix are getting propped up by teams that can actually sell tickets. Players could live with revenue sharing if they were getting higher salaries, increase the cap, salaries increase and you can get rid of player involvement in revenue sharing because everyone will make enough to have a reasonable living, you won't have guys making 500k on your 4th line.

Contract limits I can live with, though 7 year contracts would be more reasonable. The thing is though that the league needs to consider the fact that if they limit duration, then the value is going to go up so there will be higher cap hits, players will get closer to maximum dollar value which is currently 20% of whatever the salary cap happens to be.

Entry level contracts should allowed to have a 5 year term, with a club option to nullify the contract after the 3rd year and put the player on a permanent roster position with a higher value of pay. You aren't going to have guys with 5 years in the league under their belt scoring 50 goals or whatever making league maximum on an ELC, that kind of shit just won't fly. The league needs to adopt club options for giving players contract extensions. No 10 years before becoming UFA though, that's absurd. Teams should be allowed to have first and last bargaining with UFA contracts though.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-07-14 at 11:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The alterations I'd like to see to their original proposal:
    52/48 or 50/50 split on HRR which is where it is probably going to end up anyways
    -7 year contract limits, no signing bonuses, no change in amount paid out each year of the contract
    -I like the 5 year entry deals as it helps teams keep their young guys longer and cheaper
    -Arbitration is needed. It plays a huge, huge role for the middle tier RFAs. If owners would actually use their offer sheets like they do in the NBA this wouldn't be an issue, but as long as GMs refuse to use their offer sheets, RFAs will get completely fucked by their teams and will be forced to sign sub-market contracts without arbitration.
    -No cap floor. If you want to be the Royals and refuse to spend money and be completely horrible, fine, but the NHL should keep contraction on the table for failing franchises.

I'm sure as those things get adjusted we will see things like the amnesty sneak in over the next few months.

You know what doesn't make them any money at all? A friggin lock out.
    That really didn't have anything to do with my comment. If Bettman gets replaced it would only be another person just like him in charge. That is all, nothing else to it.

Ya, the 5 year entry deal actually seems like a very good choice to me. Too often, young players are given the 3 years, spend most of it in the minors, and a team doesn't really get a good look at them before deciding what to do in the future.

I think the 5 years makes sense from a business and administration standpoint but I really doubt the players would let that through along with the other clear bullshit on that list.

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 04:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    That really didn't have anything to do with my comment. If Bettman gets replaced it would only be another person just like him in charge. That is all, nothing else to it.
    We can cry all we want about Bettman but the truth of the matter is, he's piling in revenue. It's the same way people want Ballmer gone from Microsoft but forget the fact that since he's taken over, Microsoft has made record profits every quarter.

Barring some negative publicity thing or the league tanking for a couple of years in terms of revenue, he's got that seat until he dies.
    Last edited by Xevan; 2012-07-15 at 04:51 AM.
    I remember it all too well

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Your comment specifically mentioned it about being money. Yes, business sense wise they would just bring in another person to make more money, however, seeing as how Bettman's record, at least when it comes to Canadian teams and his attitude towards us, I would want to see him gone. This ridiculous shot across the bow of the NHLPA simply sits with the fact he seems to have no issue with us constantly losing seasons of the game over the fact he is a rigid hard nosed person who doesn't understand what compromise is. As where with Hockey fans, we don't care. We just wanna watch our beloved game season in, season out. I mean the whole Phoenix thing? Do the smart thing, move them to a market that works, you know, Quebec. Hell, how New Jersey is having issues is beyond me. They have an extremely good team and organization, but if the market isn't there, try somewhere else! But that's the problem, Bettman is so fanatical about expanding the sport deeper south over and over, he's willing too screw the NHLPA too try and accomplish that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    the owners won the last cba.. i mean Minnesota spent 196 million on players... i hope they don't get money from revenue sharing
    Not more than a couple months ago the Minnesota owner was crying poor. The team's expenditures were too great and the biggest chunk of those was player salaries and they were keeping the franchise from being financially successful despite having excellent attendance always.

And then he spent $200 million in free agency and tried to justify it as "if it wasn't is, somebody else would do it" as if that made any sense at all.

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 06:38 AM ----------

Your comment specifically mentioned it about being money. Yes, business sense wise they would just bring in another person to make more money, however, seeing as how Bettman's record, at least when it comes to Canadian teams and his attitude towards us, I would want to see him gone. This ridiculous shot across the bow of the NHLPA simply sits with the fact he seems to have no issue with us constantly losing seasons of the game over the fact he is a rigid hard nosed person who doesn't understand what compromise is. As where with Hockey fans, we don't care. We just wanna watch our beloved game season in, season out. I mean the whole Phoenix thing? Do the smart thing, move them to a market that works, you know, Quebec. Hell, how New Jersey is having issues is beyond me. They have an extremely good team and organization, but if the market isn't there, try somewhere else! But that's the problem, Bettman is so fanatical about expanding the sport deeper south over and over, he's willing too screw the NHLPA too try and accomplish that.
    Bettman is simply the mouthpiece of the owners. We can hate him all we want, but when it comes down to it there are 30 guys behind him (well 29 since Phoenix isn't owned and even if it is the NHL will probably own the Devils next year) pushing him to all these stupid moves.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, maybe in time the owners will start to realize that siding with Bettman might be a bad idea. One would think the logical thing would be to side with the players and support them rather then trying to fuck them over every time the CBA has to be renewed. If Bettman wants to turn hockey into politics and making the CBA purely about money rather then the wide variety of issues that currently exist within the game, then he has no clue as to what really needs to be changed within the league as a whole. If he is so concerned about the fact that teams are losing money, eliminate them and run a draft so teams can acquire their players. It's blatantly obvious that teams aren't really working in the southern USA and they have at least 3 franchises that could be moved into Canada that would be successful. It would be easier in terms of a profitability standpoint to keep all 30 teams but he has to be willing to relocate some of them now, rather then later. Put a team in Quebec City that can play at the old Nordiques arena until the new one is finished and even if the old one is smaller then most arenas today, they will still sell out every game because the city is hungry for a team. I don't think you could logistically do Hamilton unless they built an entirely new arena, Copps is just way too small and would thrive as an AHL arena, but not an NHL arena. Toronto works if they can build an arena up in Markham area, or build one in Kitchener-Waterloo where there is a strong hockey market in the region. Hand ownership over to the groups interested and let them keep the teams where they are for next season, then have them moved next summer when the arena's are going to be completed.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Bettman is simply the mouthpiece of the owners.
    Exactly.
    10chars.

[QUOTE=conscript;17571923]Not more than a couple months ago the Minnesota owner was crying poor. The team's expenditures were too great and the biggest chunk of those was player salaries and they were keeping the franchise from being financially successful despite having excellent attendance always.

And then he spent $200 million in free agency and tried to justify it as "if it wasn't is, somebody else would do it" as if that made any sense at all.[COLOR="red"]

I keep trying to tell everyone that the Wild will be up for sale in two years. He did the exact same thing in Nashville in 2006 by going out and getting big name guys, and then gutted the team the next year and sold it off. Its the one reason everyone in Nashville was flabergasted that Suter went to the Wild, it was the exact same owner who created all the issues he had bitched about all year long.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    $196 mil on 2 players.

They still have to pay the rest of the team.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    ya i meant 2 players.

Oh Washington, it looked like things were about to start turning around for you and then you pay a defensive liability $6 mil for 3 years.

Also, need to say I'm impressed by Holmstrom's loyalty. Seems like those types of guys always go to the Red Wings.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-07-17 at 01:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Green's offensive upside is too good to let him go. He's a bit better defensively than Karlsson due to his size, but how little is that saying.

A healthy Green is worth 7M+, the current Green is a liability. This isn't a signing you can judge at the moment, if Green is injured again, then it's a complete waste.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-17 at 02:21 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Green's offensive upside is too good to let him go. He's a bit better defensively than Karlsson due to his size, but how little is that saying.

A healthy Green is worth 7M+, the current Green is a liability. This isn't a signing you can judge at the moment, if Green is injured again, then it's a complete waste.
    For someone with only one exceptional season though? They should have moved on when he wouldn't agree to 5 mil.