Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Looking to Upgrade my GFX

Hey Guys, Long time Reader 1st time Poster

Right, down to buisness ive got a Nvidia 9800 GT and im lookin to upgrade, im not that educated when it comes to what GFX card fits into which Slot but m sure you guys could point me in the right direction.

Im looking for around the £100 - £150 (Yup im English )

Thats around the 200 Dollar mark if that helps...

Much Obliged for any quick replies <3

Thanks, Daant

EDIT: Im also running a monitor with 1920 x 1080 resolution. Hope that helps
    Last edited by mmocbe99705729; 2011-04-13 at 11:36 PM.

The best video card for your price range is the AMD HD6850.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...i-e-(960-cores)

Either the Asus DirectCU card for £140 incl. VAT or the XFX Dual Fan for £145 incl. VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    The best video card for your price range is the AMD HD6850.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...i-e-(960-cores)

Either the Asus DirectCU card for £140 incl. VAT or the XFX Dual Fan for £145 incl. VAT.
    Agreed. The Radeon 6850 is an excellent card for the price, will last you a while.

Go with the 6850, GTX 460 might be a bit cheaper, but 6850 is slightly faster.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Since that is a PCI-E card any other PCI-E will match the socket however you should measure how much space there is in your case and check your powersupply.

Good suggestions above. Also one thing worth noting is that if you're looking for WoW framerate increase while raiding and the rest of your computer is from 2008 along with the graphics card, you're probably CPU capped and switching just the graphics card will not do much.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Thanks for the Feedback Guys

After looking at the link I think ima go with the HD 6850 with the Dual Fan.

As for the rest of my rig being up-to-date yeah its up to scratch, i recently upgraded all my PC with new components apart from the Graphics... but then realised quickly that i need a new one anyway... lolz

Anyhow Ive got an Intel i7-950 processor and the power supply is a ATRIX 80+ ...

Will this be all good to use the 6850 ?

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Good suggestions above. Also one thing worth noting is that if you're looking for WoW framerate increase while raiding and the rest of your computer is from 2008 along with the graphics card, you're probably CPU capped and switching just the graphics card will not do much.
    This ^^ recently upgraded from a dual core 2.1 ghz to a quad core 3.1 ghz with my same GT 240 and my frames are doubled.

Quote Originally Posted by Daant View Post
    Anyhow Ive got an Intel i7-950 processor and the power supply is a ATRIX 80+ ...

Will this be all good to use the 6850 ?
    Shouldn't be CPU capped at least, but some models of Atrix power supplies have got really bad reviews. Depends on the exact model if it's outright bad or just mediocre.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Shouldn't be CPU capped at least, but some models of Atrix power supplies have got really bad reviews. Depends on the exact model if it's outright bad or just mediocre.
    On the box it says Model: 800THE, ive not had any trouble with it though

On the box it says Model: 800THE, ive not had any trouble with it though
    Sounds like it's an 800W PSU, which will be able to power two of those GPUs easily, so power won't be an issue

I don't know anything of that particular brand though, but since it's 80+, i'd assume it's decent at least.

Found a review of 500 (650W) model of Atrix PSU, which was bashed pretty badly. In reality the so-called 650W PSU went already off ATX specs at 360W load. The 800W you have will probably work fine with on graphics card, but wouldn't push it with Crossfire.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    but wouldn't push it with Crossfire.
    Sorry if I sound Nooby :P But What does that mean ??

Deleted
    I bought this about a month ago from Scan.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-p...dvi-d-sub-hdmi

1680x900 res and getting about 40-50 FPS in 10 man's with all settings up. Your mileage on this may vary however, depending on the rest of your system.

Sorry if I sound Nooby :P But What does that mean ??
    Crossfire is two ATI graphics cards linked together
    SLI is the NVIDIA equivalent

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernovà View Post
    Crossfire is two ATI graphics cards linked together
    SLI is the NVIDIA equivalent
    Ahh im not lookin to do anything like that... just the standard single GFX card for me

If you can manage to spend 275-300 dollars Id recommend what I did. I have two GTX 460s 1gb ver in SLI mode. Two of those in SLI will out perform even a single gtx 580. I get 60 frames (vertical sync on) with every setting maxxed out in 25 mans and everything. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    If you can manage to spend 275-300 dollars Id recommend what I did. I have two GTX 460s 1gb ver in SLI mode. Two of those in SLI will out perform even a single gtx 580. I get 60 frames (vertical sync on) with every setting maxxed out in 25 mans and everything. Easy.
    Not only would that put him way over his budget, but that would also mean having to upgrade the PSU as well.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Ahh im not lookin to do anything like that... just the standard single GFX card for me
    Well, just so you know, the 6870 is just below your budget. I also have a Core i7 950 and use a 6870 with it and quite frankly, it's pretty damn awesome. Nice and fast, able to max just about everything out, a good deal IMO.

For your budget 6850 or GTX 460 (I personally prefer the GTX 460) The 6850 is better in some game but the GTX 460 is better in other games (Better for WoW and SC2, the only 2 games i Play)