Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Guild Wars 2 - Why you should care

TenTonHammer released an article today about Guild Wars 2, written by a person who was not a big follower of the game (he didn't even like the first one).

His opinion is that if you're not looking into the game, you're might miss out on an mmo revolution.

as a fan of the franchise (Hence, the fanboy avatar), it's good to hear people who don't have the GW1 background that I have are as excited as I am after seeing
    some ingame footage.

If you are unfamiliar with Guild Wars 2 (even if you hated the first one), I'ld recommend giving this article a read.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/editorials/gw2-why-care

Like what you read? Check out the Arenanet MMO Manifesto, aside from the skyrim trailer, this is my favorite game trailer so far.

Deyadissa Compiled a nice List of new features in GW2, be sure to check it out:

List of GW2 Features

I have added some more articles about the game for people who are interested.The ones from tap-repeatedly in particular are a very good read.

TenTonHammer - Ten things we learned at Pax East

Tap repeatedly - Interview with Daniel Dociu (Art director for arenanet) - part 1

Tap repeatedly - Interview with Daniel Dociu (Art director for arenanet) - part 2

Tap repeatedly - Interview with Daniel Dociu (Art director for arenanet) - part 2

Tap repeatedly - Creating concepts - Summary of the 3 interviews above

Eurogamer - Guild wars 2 - How to make MMO'S better

Kill Ten Rats - The essential scatter (includes rift and warhammer)

Kill Ten Rats - GW2 Dynamic events VS Rift Dynamic events

If you have any articles you want added to this thread, please message me and I'll add them, including articles with negative reviews.

Videos: Gametrailers - Guild Wars 2 ===== Thanks to Nomm

Video - Arenanet Retrospective Trailer

Awesome to see how their CEO works in the hallway

Video - The shatterer event

Please keep in mind that the boss has been tuned down a lot for the sake of the demo, it is also a lvl 30-40ish boss so not an end boss.
    Before people say "OH MY GOD THAT'S A PURPLE DEATHWING", it's a fantasy mmo, of course it has dragons, also,
    this dragon's footage was released around the same time as DW's model.Also, most people in the video aren't really good at the game
    since it's a demo, so the combat might look slower than it really is

April fools Content

Because of its awesomeness, I decided to add the April fools joke

Introducing - The commando

The Commando

Please refrain from trolling, if you do not like the game for some reason, state that reason in a mature and civilized way.

========================================================================================== ========
    Charr Week

Prepare Yourself for charr week

Last edited by jvbastel; 2011-04-18 at 05:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very nice find. +1

(Can't wait to play... I feel like a zombie playing any other MMO)

No end game raiding.. no thx i will stick to swtor

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pancakez View Post
    Good, less people in a similar mind to yourself the better.

Personally can't wait for GW2, been looking forward to it since they announced it. Being able to play Charr is just <3 .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pancakez View Post
    I agree that not including instanced raid content (there will be public raids, like the already famous shatterer event) is a risky move, however, with the combat system arenanet has for gw2 I think it would be hard to make challenging raids without having the mechanics become overly complex, I was not surprised when the news reached my ears. If the 5 man dungeons are as big and complex as they say, I don't think I'll miss raids much though

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on GW2 for some time now. I'm really looking forward to it. The idea of "public raids" really caters to me because I loved the concept of world bosses from the get go. Having all the evil baddies of the world holed up in some cave or some tower really makes them feel pretty neutered even without us killing them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

No subscription fee, I'm definitely getting it to fill the occasional downtime!

I'm intrigued by their PVP concepts - I just hope they don't let the Camelot people they hired away actually DO any coding. Camelots pvp success was in spite of the devs...not because of them

10+ Year Old Account
    GW:2 is going to cater to a crowd that enjoys competitive PvP. No holy trinity tank-dps-heals means any class can pretty much be w/e, you no longer will have Fotm tunnel vision dmg bots or cc-fairies w/ ultimate lockdowns but wet noodle attacks, there will be more dynamism between the classes in which you can freely switch from offensive to defense to supportive play. I think people who like PvE and want great boss fights are going to stick with WoW since WoW has been able to create some of the most involved and intricate boss fights, however with the new MMO's with better game engines might be able to create even more complex and fun fights. But I'm definitely looking forward to GW:2 PvP.
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

Deleted
    There's only one thing wrong with guild wars 2. And it's the "guild wars" part. The first part was so bad that I don't know any excuse why anyone would make a sequel.

The one thing that turned me onto GW2 was the removal of the big triad of MMO's, and the idea of being able to dodge all projectiles and attacks. Whether you die or live should be based on your skill, not based on whether the tank is geared, the healer is geared, or whether the boss targets you with random super-mega-fireball or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    GW:2 is going to cater to a crowd that enjoys competitive PvP. No holy trinity tank-dps-heals means any class can pretty much be w/e, you no longer will have Fotm tunnel vision dmg bots or cc-fairies w/ ultimate lockdowns but wet noodle attacks, there will be more dynamism between the classes in which you can freely switch from offensive to defense to supportive play. I think people who like PvE and want great boss fights are going to stick with WoW since WoW has been able to create some of the most involved and intricate boss fights, however with the new MMO's with better game engines might be able to create even more complex and fun fights. But I'm definitely looking forward to GW:2 PvP.
    Don't knock off GW2 PvE yet, Anet did a great job with hard content for GW1, even if it is only for small groups, I'm sure the elite dungeons (If thats what they are called) will be what Anet intend them to be, hard.

Although like yourself, I'm more into PvP with GW, after GW1 I have no doubt they will keep it balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope gear actually means something in this game, I never felt "upgraded" in GW1

I hated the original guild wars because it was so limited and restrictive and I thought the classes weren't really well done. It wasn't truly a MMO since every single area was instanced and that is also why they got away with operating it without needing monthly subscriptions.

The fact GW2 is going to be no monthly sub too worries me that it will have the same restrictive nature. The videos for GW2 look interesting and like it would be a fun game, but I just worry about the deeper core mechanics and things they aren't telling you. Afterall, companies only broadcast their favored features that they think will attract players, they never make lists of their own faults, drawbacks, and limitations. Only in actually playing can you see whether or not it will be any good.

Looks fancy, but only time will tell. I'm not one of the cheap people, i'd rather pay monthly for higher quality than get something free that I don't find entertaining. Hopefully GW2 will be a good one, I could certainly use something fresh and new to play.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    There's only one thing wrong with guild wars 2. And it's the "guild wars" part. The first part was so bad that I don't know any excuse why anyone would make a sequel.
    What exactly is bad about Guild Wars? They created a good game and it has survived up till today still. How many MMO's are actually successful still with WoW around?

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    I hated the original guild wars because it was so limited and restrictive and I thought the classes weren't really well done. It wasn't truly a MMO since every single area was instanced and that is also why they got away with operating it without needing monthly subscriptions.

The fact GW2 is going to be no monthly sub too worries me that it will have the same restrictive nature. The videos for GW2 look interesting and like it would be a fun game, but I just worry about the deeper core mechanics and things they aren't telling you. Afterall, companies only broadcast their favored features that they think will attract players, they never make lists of their own faults, drawbacks, and limitations. Only in actually playing can you see whether or not it will be any good.

Looks fancy, but only time will tell. I'm not one of the cheap people, i'd rather pay monthly for higher quality than get something free that I don't find entertaining. Hopefully GW2 will be a good one, I could certainly use something fresh and new to play.
    Even Blizzard have said they don't need a monthly sub to keep the game running with content.

---------- Post added 2011-04-14 at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    I just hope gear actually means something in this game, I never felt "upgraded" in GW1
    Everyone will have the same basic stats at max level, skill + time and effort will be reward with better looking armour rather than more stats. To keep everyone on a level playing field, and so people don't get shunted out of groups due to gear.

Deleted
    Definitely going to check it out.. Z.z

I think that has been on purpose, to keep PVP balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    Don't knock off GW2 PvE yet, Anet did a great job with hard content for GW1, even if it is only for small groups, I'm sure the elite dungeons (If thats what they are called) will be what Anet intend them to be, hard.

Although like yourself, I'm more into PvP with GW, after GW1 I have no doubt they will keep it balanced.
    Elder Dragons, and yes. They're the big-baddies of the world (although not all bad I'd assume)

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope not. One thing I sorely want to get out of in WoW is the endless gear grind. So I hope that they do NOT go that route. Just want to throw that out there that some of us don't want the gear grind.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I hope not. One thing I sorely want to get out of in WoW is the endless gear grind. So I hope that they do NOT go that route. Just want to throw that out there that some of us don't want the gear grind.
    The only gear "upgrades" you get will be cosmetic. The more time/effort you put into the gaem, the better looking armour you'll have. The only grinds will be optional ofcourse, mostly for titles and better looking gear.