Vista TV-Out, 29/25hz interlaced is best option?!

Hey all

I've googled for so long about this so many times and given up so many times. I'm gonna try to see if anyone here knows what's going on.

I used to have Windows XP with an nvidia card and I was able to have a 1024x768 pal 60hz refresh rate, non-interlaced.

I have bought a new pc about a year ago with Vista installed on it, and have an nvidia 260gtx with latest drivers (updated today again actually), but all I get since I got vista is a 1024x768 pal 25 hz interlaced, or NTSC 29hz interlaced (but with black sidebars...). Any action scenes are choppy (like bad fps ;p) and it's just horrible overall.

This is just infuriating, I used to have great picture quality considering my tv is an old Sony Projection TV. But Vista apparently has a "driver issue" where it won't go over 25/29hz on a non-HDTV.

Does anyone know for sure if this is in fact the case, and if installing Windows XP OR Windows 7 (which means a real pain, and reinstalling, wow, addons, re-doing UI ugh can't even imagine) would solve my issue and make me be able to see tv-out in 60hz non-interlaced again.

Thanks in advance.

Is it analog or digital TV? What type of inputs/cables you're using? You trying to get clone or extended desktop on TV?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

analog tv, erm using a s-video cable i think, clone/extended any produces same result.

The tv, connection and clone/extended mode all worked in xp, no longer does in vista.

the final answer on Nvidia and TV-Out

Hi there, I too have went through the frustrations as you have, and this is the end result. Nvidia, after a 'certain version #' began changing their drivers, to work with 'LCD' monitors "only'. PERIOD. You can try any s-video cable you want, you will get a black and white , jittery picture, and your advanced display properties will not let you change resolutions past 25hz.

The way the 'system' works, is like this. Windows is written, it comes with 10,000 or so drivers, but there are hundreds of thousands of types of hardware out there, so the 'driver' for your video card, is the responsibility of the company that makes it. Nvidia is obstanant on this, they will not re-write old drivers, you are forced to upgrade your hardware (just like when xp came out).

Are there any solutions, welll sort of yes...

Another gentleman online, I am sorry I do not have his URL to reference, but he discovered that the Nvidia drivers 81.98, installed using win2k compatibility mode, will work perfectly with your tv out. anything past that, does not, I tried this, and it worked! Not only does that work properly, but you have an ACTUAL FUNCTIONAL nvidia icon tray, that does pretty much everything that the 'new' drivers do in XP, but DON't do in Vista or windows 7. (btw, my experience is with windows 7, more than visita).

If you can't get aero in windows 7 fyi, then the 'vista' compatible nvidia drivers work properly, but u will have an almost useless control panel, and no tv out again.

Currently, i'm working on trying to er..'merge' the 2 drivers so that the updated directx9.0c which gives aero its 'transparency effects' (shame on MS for this one, they did not have to invent WDDM drivers) but possibly rip enough from the old drivers, to make tvout work properly.. My problem is, despite my computer background which is quite lengthy, i have never written a 'driver'. I am so surprised 'someone' out there hasn't gotten off their butt, with the knowlege they must have and had this done ages ago.

If I do find any other solutions, I will post, wish me luck!!!