Nefarian Add Question

What's the best method of picking up the adds? Our kite tank is having problems picking them all up. They have random spawn sites.

Have a dps help him. Rogue use FoK with Tricks, or Hunter with MD. What class is your tank? :3

Dk and the tank can get hit by the adds as long as he keeps them out of the fire?

It's better to not be hit by the skellies. And keeping them out of the fire is the main priority.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It might help if you clarify phase 1 or phase 3.

If they're scattered in phase 3 that means your phase 1 kiter needs to work harder at keeping them together. I find that the best place to deposit them is in the center of the room.

Phase 1 I have no problems getting them as a holy pally (although I hate to do it and am very vocal about that fact), but is your tank familiar with what their spawn site looks like? They spawn from the big purple vortexes. It takes a good few seconds between the time the swirly stuff appears and the add spawns.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post

If they're scattered in phase 3 that means your phase 1 kiter needs to work harder at keeping them together. I find that the best place to deposit them is in the center of the room.

Phase 1 I have no problems getting them as a holy pally (although I hate to do it and am very vocal about that fact), but is your tank familiar with what their spawn site looks like? They spawn from the big purple vortexes. It takes a good few seconds between the time the swirly stuff appears and the add spawns.
    This

Also, they have a definite pattern to their spawn. It may start in a "random" location, but will (I believe) always go around the room in a circle in the same direction. So though they may start at any one of the spawn points, it's very easy to figure out the pattern once you find it.

Sorry-phase 1.
    Our Dk keeps getting killed so my RL has us trapping/shackling but they are very spread which will cause problems in P3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    Sorry-phase 1.
    Our Dk keeps getting killed so my RL has us trapping/shackling but they are very spread which will cause problems in P3.
    Then your DK needs to work better at not getting hit. :P

They do physical damage, so physical mitigation effects are good for this. Add in some slows/stuns/snares and you should be fine. A really decent DK can do the adds on his own, but there's no shame in getting an Earthbind Totem, Ring of Frost, Frost Nova, Freezing Trap, etc down as well to help with kiting. When I kite, I pretty much rely on those and the stun from Holy Wrath. (Oh yeah. They're undead, so they can be feared with Turn Evil.)

Also, if he's low to begin with, if he gets hit by Ony's tail swipe the results can be devastating. Short term stun+adds too close=dead DK.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    we use a Fury Warrior to run around and pick them up.. so if your tank is having a hard time.. tell them to learn to taunt more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyfaria View Post
    we use a Fury Warrior to run around and pick them up.. so if your tank is having a hard time.. tell them to learn to taunt more.
    Don't forget to actually damage them after the taunt, because if you don't, the healers will get aggro. :P

What Spec is your DK out of interest? I mean you can't get hit too often even as a tank, so try frost maybe if he isn't? Can freeze them all in place, get free howling blast procs, etc.

To avoid the tail from Ony, have someone use a threat transfer on the one that pops there.

You can also try CC'ing one or two at the start and then when the DK makes his circlet or whatever he can pop that one with howling blast or something.

Obviously throwing slows on the ground helps too.

Our frost mage does it in p1, I must admit he's gotten quite good at it, he hardly ever takes damage from them. Occasionally, one or two of them escape and go after either the healers or tanks due to threat. we designate our other hunter to md them to the mage, and sometimes our resto shammy will pop wolf and run them out to him if he has the aggro. Otherwise, it gets too chaotic with too many people trying to help on the adds and it only makes matters worse.

I would recommend using a mage if you have one, they are the best, IMO,and as I was getting at they can mostly do it all by themselves without really sucking up that much healer mana or attention, unlike having a plate dps just tank them might. Alternatively you can just CC them/some of them but you wilil still want them all to die in roughly the same spot so p3 is not super chaotic.

I do the adds as a Ret pally wearing sword and board, so I normally pick them up with the following method. I hardcast Exorcism on the first, Judge on the second, Crusader Strike the third, Judge the fourth, and Repentance the fifth (or Repentance whichever one is at the 12 o'clock position, no matter what order it is). I kite them through a frost trap, use Holy Wrath, and rely on my handy mage to assist with cone of cold/frost nova/ring of frost. Frost DKs should have it pretty easy, as long as there is a hunter or rogue to help with snap aggro at range.

I do the adds no problem as an Unholy DK in blood presence. Taunts, deathgrips, and a few icy touches picks them all up. I try to avoid using DnD and BB until Nefarian lands and is picked up because i have picked him up few times as well. I drag them over to the side away from Onys tail Then get a ring of frost followed by a frost nova, AMS onys electricity when she is turned and adds a down all in one pile ready for tank to pick them all up in P3.

My group just has hunters and rogues help out with Tricks and MDs.

I've heard of people using a holy pally with RF up to draw the adds into the middle to make it easier for the kiter/tank to pick them up.

In both 10 and 25 man, I am the mage in the group. So once the adds are all collected up beating on our tank on the outside of the room, I drop a ring of frost on all of them, and pretty much by the time the RoF freeze is done, the adds are all dead in a compact little pile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your DK just needs to get better at it unfortunately. Our DK is Frost and has no problems with doing it with no MD/Tricks. Your DK will need to watch his position and Ony for when she is being turned and using CDs as necessary for that or if they start getting hit but it shouldn't be that big of an issue. We do use a Ring of Frost to help position them exactly where we need them but don't use any other slows besides what the DK does himself.

If you have a hunter you can just have him get a tanking pet and glyph of MD. We've started having ours do that in practice for heroic but it has actually made grouping up the adds and placing them much simpler on normal mode.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post

Deposit the adds in the north of the room - Nefarion goes in the center. Point Nef 90 degrees away from the adds (unless they're so loose at the stat of p3 that you need him to breath on them to activate them all at once, this is important to get a full add reset or two), and then slowly turn him in time with the add tank's kiting around the edge of the room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beingmused View Post
    Deposit the adds in the north of the room - Nefarion goes in the center. Point Nef 90 degrees away from the adds (unless they're so loose at the stat of p3 that you need him to breath on them to activate them all at once, this is important to get a full add reset or two), and then slowly turn him in time with the add tank's kiting around the edge of the room.
    Where you drop the adds depends on your P3 strategy. Some people kite around the room while others put Nef in one corner and drop the adds in the middle. They both work if done correctly.

We use a somewhat unconventional approach, no one kites them or tanks them. We have 2 Pallies (prot and holy), 2 Priests (shadow and holy) and a hunter. I promote everyone to assistant so they can mark, assign them their 1 symbol, and require that they mark their 1 CC target (they have an order as well) and continue to CC it until it dies. So we use two turn undeads, two shackles, and a trap. This also allows us to lure them right into the center, where the raid is, so they all die in one nice pile.