Thread: Arcane Question

Arcane Question

Ok I usually dont ask about my class since I know all the core stuff, but the recent post about trinkets got me thinking.

If I am to go arcane should I avoid trinkets that proc Int? or for that fact enchants? since they will increase my dps but not as efficiently if my thoughts are correct, which are the following:
    -at 100% mana raid buffed I would have 95kish mana. Now at the start of the fight I will gain the proc from my back enchant and DMC:V and power torrent which will make my mana go from 93k/95k (97.8%) to around lets say 93k/140kish (66%). This means that thought the intellect increase will improve my dps, this will effectively nerf the mastery proportion of my dps.

Are my thoughts correct? if so should I go for haste/sp procs?

Int procs are still good, you'll get more regen from replenishment/mage armour while they're up and they still add a sizable chunk of SP and some crit.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Yea I know about the mana regen and all, I know its a dps increase as the dmg gained from crits and sp given by the int procs is greater than the loss of dps from mastery due to the decrease in mana %age. my question is that is it more feasible to use haste/sp/mastery proc trinkets or will that be lower dps gain than that of int procs for arcane.

Like I have the following trinkets:
    -DMC:V
    -Bell
    -Mirror
    -Heart

If am going arcane which of the following should I use?

I'm not sure what the heart is to be honest, but for arcane use the Volcano card and the mirror from V&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    Finally someone uses the Second Amendment for what it was meant for: Shooting people who do stuff you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lune View Post
    I'm not sure what the heart is to be honest, but for arcane use the Volcano card and the mirror from V&T.
    Heart of Ignacious
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

mastery procs are extremely powerful if you are good at mana management, which in of itself is a core requirement for proper arcane dps.

Quote Originally Posted by QQmoore View Post
    mastery procs are extremely powerful if you are good at mana management, which in of itself is a core requirement for proper arcane dps.
    Mastery procs can also happen at the wrong part of your rotation, and be on ICD when it would've mattered (unlike such a proc for other classes, Arcane's dual nature DPS plays against this). An Intellect proc is more powerful, because it's always direct raw damage, and regen. Both of what you want.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Mastery procs can also happen at the wrong part of your rotation, and be on ICD when it would've mattered (unlike such a proc for other classes, Arcane's dual nature DPS plays against this). An Intellect proc is more powerful, because it's always direct raw damage, and regen. Both of what you want.
    Mastery in any form is a DPS gain for Arcane since the damage buff degrades linearly as you lose mana, but the buff still exists. For example (these numbers are not 100% accurate, they're just being used to illustrate a point) your MA tooltip states that you deal 25% more damage at max mana. At 80% mana, you deal 20% more damage. At 70%, you deal 15% more damage, etc etc. Now, let's say you're at 50% mana dealing 5% more damage, a Mastery proc would bring that up to...let's say 10% more damage. Sure, if it procced during your high mana period, you'd be dealing 30% more damage, but at the end of the day your damage is going up in all cases.

Now, while it is true that an Int proc will lower your damage from MA due to increasing your max mana without increasing your current mana, the amount of spelldamage, crit chance, and regen you gain from said proc lead to getting back to high mana quicker which means you'll be back to your max rotation sooner.

In any case, if you want to know the best case scenario answer to your question; your BiS trinkets for Arcane don't proc Int so you shouldn't worry about it (Shard of Woe and Theralion's Mirror).
    BfA Beta Time

Assuming you can't get the the shard, what would be the next best thing?
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    Assuming you can't get the the shard, what would be the next best thing?
    DMC:V would be next.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    In any case, if you want to know the best case scenario answer to your question; your BiS trinkets for Arcane don't proc Int so you shouldn't worry about it (Shard of Woe and Theralion's Mirror).
    We do have to be realistic with the fact that very few mages have the opportunity to get their hands on Shard right now. It is the single best trinket an Arcane mage can have, but other than that DM:V and Theralion's Mirror are the two to go with.

The biggest message is Int > all other stats. This is unless were talking insane amounts of Mastery, which would have to be like 3k mastery vs. 1k Int.

Doh! Too slow to hit reply, Swizzle beat me to it.
    Last edited by Nitromonger; 2011-04-19 at 06:20 PM. Reason: slow response

Thanks for the answers, really appreciate it, seems ill stay fire till I get my chance at the shard, but really doubt its anytime soon.

By my rotation, within 3-5 casts after boss pull, my DMC:Volcano procs. I pop gem + arcane power + images (normally, by the time the proc ends, my mana sits back at full) and continue with my burn phase until around 20% mana. I try to be mana neutral at 20% because--at that point, the icd on my DMC:Volcano up and it procs again and on the last second, I pop Evocation to get back at 100% mana.

Little off topic:
    I'm still hoping that someone would do the math on how increased max mana procs (aka int procs without counting the sp/crit bonus) actually interacts with our Mastery, when we consider Mage Armor and Replenishment.