Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand

Monochrome laser printers suggestion?

My co-worker's dinosaur HP Laserjet 2100 died today, need to replace it. I know pretty well nothing about laser printers, only small inkjets and wide solvent vinyl printers... sooo.. yeah.

Is this one any good?
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...591cf01388en02

Seems rather cheap though, but it is only monochrome I guess. lol.

It will be used mainly to print on clear film (transparencies), which we use for positives for burning screens for foil decals. So the better it prints on clear plastic sheets, and the bigger sheets it can take, the better.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Laser printers can be picky with transparencies. Better make sure you can get compatible brand of printable transparencies also that you can use for your projects. HP's website should be able to help figuring it out, or downloading the printer's manual or something.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We use a few of the 1100s at work. They're decent little printers but don't expect much out of them. One of them will however give off a little smoke when the paper comes out. I assume that's from the fuser fusing the toner to the paper. Like Vesseblah said, double check HP for compatible film!

Look at Brother printers too, i've been using a Brother HL2030 for years now, never a problem and it uses very little ink. Mine is currently @ 41.9% remaining drum and tells me that is wort another 5038 pages. Usually i don't trust such estimates, but seeing as i replaced it the last time when i moved out, 3 years ago, and i'm printing shitloads for my study, i tend to believe this one.

If you want more brands... My printer is Samsung ML1610, also monochrome laser. About 3 years old on irregular use and still does perfect prints with the first ink cartridge that came with it. When I bought it, it was the cheapest laser printer in the country and also got very positive reviews in the series of cheap consumer printers' segment.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zookii View Post
    We use a few of the 1100s at work. They're decent little printers but don't expect much out of them. One of them will however give off a little smoke when the paper comes out. I assume that's from the fuser fusing the toner to the paper. Like Vesseblah said, double check HP for compatible film!
    LOL, probably not the best thing to have around flammable solvent ink! xD

I'll look into Brother machines, they look to be a bit more expensive, but if it's going to be better, I'm sure the foreman doesn't care.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking for one too lately to print out multiple copies of a thesis... This one Brother HL2240 is on sale at staples & NCIX but it's cheaper at staples (for about another week) and shipping is free so I'm probably going to buy it there:
    http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

I also looked into replacement toner, and NCIX is cheaper than staples.ca for both the regular size and the high yield toner.

From my research this Brother one is better than the HP one, but it's only cheaper because of the sale. Regular price is a lot more than the HP model. I haven't looked up any information about compatibility with transparencies.
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-04-19 at 04:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I was using a Brother monochrome laser printer while I was working with a law firm... It was simply amazing for the amount of output we had with it... Over 6 months, not a single problem and one replacement cartridge. Law firms simply print THAT MUCH.

Anyway, yeah, I have had much better luck with Brother products than HP tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

As a good tip get something for which toner is sold by http://www.monoprice.com/home/find_toner.asp

;P

I have a Brother HL-21, got it on sale at ze Egg. I don't print a whole lot so it works well for me. Can put it anywhere since it's wireless.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    As a good tip get something for which toner is sold by http://www.monoprice.com/home/find_toner.asp

;P
    Shipping transit makes that not feasible for us. It takes about 2 weeks for stuff to get to Nova Scotia when shipped from Monoprice.

Plus, we get toner for dirt cheap because we buy loads of toner for the Konica Minolta photocoper in the main office, plus the solvent ink for the plotter.

I was looking for one too lately to print out multiple copies of a thesis... This one Brother HL2240 is on sale at staples & NCIX but it's cheaper at staples (for about another week) and shipping is free so I'm probably going to buy it there:
    http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...affixedcode=WW

I also looked into replacement toner, and NCIX is cheaper than staples.ca for both the regular size and the high yield toner.

From my research this Brother one is better than the HP one, but it's only cheaper because of the sale. Regular price is a lot more than the HP model. I haven't looked up any information about compatibility with transparencies.
    Yeah, we're probably going to get that one.

I just meant somewhere that sold non-outrageous toner in general

People love the Brother HL-2140 and the wireless autoduplexing version of that, both use very cheap toner and run forever.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    People love the Brother HL-2140 and the wireless autoduplexing version of that, both use very cheap toner and run forever.

Oh my. Any idea how many pages you can print?

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I hear, the Brother machines sell drums separately from the toner, which results in really high maintenance for us.

Sooo... I'm gonna have to get an HP machine.

Our toner supplier sells HP toners a bit cheaper than brother too, so whatever. Font quality is better too which is more important as well.

I might get that $60 brother for myself though...

10+ Year Old Account
    But how often would you need to replace the drum? I'm assuming very infrequently, but I know very little about laser printer maintenance...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    But how often would you need to replace the drum? I'm assuming very infrequently, but I know very little about laser printer maintenance...
    Little more frequently here due to shop dust all over the place. If it was in the main office, I wouldn't care.

Ended up getting this: http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/ca...dCode=WW&=&=&=

Best part about it is I put it on the network and I can use it too.

The drum is usually rated at ~12-15k pages, costs ~$35. Toner goes for ~2.6k rated pages, $20. If you refill the toner yourself, ~3k page ones are $9 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    The drum is usually rated at ~12-15k pages, costs ~$35. Toner goes for ~2.6k rated pages, $20. If you refill the toner yourself, ~3k page ones are $9 on ebay.
    As in you reuse the cartridge? I've seen terrible things with people trying to syringe inkjet carts >.<

Yeah, it isn't as bad with toner, but I wouldn't do it more than a few times. The new ones also have a little gear you have to reset. Manufacturers caught on and are trying to make it a hassle!