Blizzard would have made more profit if PCT was free

As the title says, i believe that it would be better for both players and Blizzard if PCT was free. Here's my reasoning:
    Ok first thing lets see how many people have payed for a PCT. This is hard to estimate but i'll make a rough guess and say 1 out of 5 people. Now lets see how many people have quit the game due to their server being dead, or massively imbalanced, or because of any other problem which could have been solved with a character transfer, but instead chose (or were forced; many players are 13-18 years old so they dont have their own credit card) quitting instead of paying. This is even harder to estimate, i'd say 1 out of 20 people so lets say i'm completely off and its 1 out of 40 people.
    That means that the ratio of people who payed for a PCT / people who quit because PCT wasnt free is roughly 1/8. Taking in account the fact that a PCT is worth roughly 2 months of subscription, if PCT was free then the "quitters" would have to play 16 more months for Blizzard to have the same profit, which they most likely would have done.

In conclusion, i think Blizzard should just change the PCT system. Either give each account 1-2 free transfers (but pay for subsequent), or completely remove its cost but give it a 1 year cooldown to prevent "good" servers from being massively flooded, or only allow free transfers to players with good reasons (dead server).

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

I agree that there should be more free character transfers to balance realms. Any time a realm is unbalanced more than 70:30 either way, free transfers should open up to or from that realm (depending on how populated it is), imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    If a realm is "dead", Blizzard shouldn't allow transfers off of it AT ALL, only incoming transfers, so the realm will pick back up.

They don't want it MORE dead. Logic.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Deleted
    You are basing a fact off of numbers you pulled out of your ass.

Character transfers are already free to empty servers (or free off of them) at designated times. They make more money if the transfers are not always up. Maybe a friend takes the free transfer when he can, his other guildies/friends miss out but they want to play together anyway etc etc.

I don't think anyone quits the game because his server is dead. That might be the last nail in the coffin, but no one has a completely enjoyable time with the game, and then just quits because "Welp, I want to transfer, but oh well!" At least, I wouldn't think so.

Deleted
    I agree that PCT should be free, but it will never happen. Blizzard are greedy and will do anything in there power to make more money. There revenue from wow funds other projects which they are working on which is why they charge double the subscription cost for PCT and more than 3 times subscription cost for Faction Changes.
    Last edited by mmoc0fd4065f0a; 2011-04-19 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    If a realm is "dead", Blizzard shouldn't allow transfers off of it AT ALL, only incoming transfers, so the realm will pick back up.

They don't want it MORE dead. Logic.
    And who's gonna migrate to a dead server? Some servers need like 100 new ppl tobring some life to it, i mean last time i did TB there were 9 ppl (4 at the start)it wasn't at a busy hour but not in the middle of the night either (like 15h in game or something) :| They should start merging server to fix the problems i guess

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    You are basing a fact off of numbers you pulled out of your ass.
    This just about sums it up perfectly.

You have no way to remotely know how many people have taken advantage of paid character transfers. You have no way to have the slightest clue how many people have quit due to a "dead realm" that would have been solved by a character transfer they couldn't afford.

There are people at Blizzard who's annual salary is probably more than you will make in a decade, who study these trends and decide what's most profitable for the company. If the (absurd) logic you were using were true, I'm sure Blizzard would have already realized it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Deleted
    What they would really make money of would be pre-paid PCT cards for those who can't pay through the Internet.

EDIT: Spelling.

Blizzard would make more profit if they never released PCT in the first place.

Simply spend months leveling up a new character!

I think they should make a character transfer and faction change card. Almost like the 60 day game cards. You buy a card and it adds one credit to your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonzi View Post
    There are people at Blizzard who's annual salary is probably more than you will make in a decade, who study these trends and decide what's most profitable for the company. If the (absurd) logic you were using were true, I'm sure Blizzard would have already realized it.
    While i cant speak for their financial advisors, Blizzard's developers are well-known to make completely irrational and illogical decisions so even if my (absurd) logic was true then it wouldnt be a surprise if they hadnt realised it.

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

Actually free faction changes would be much better and do a better job of balancing realms. Realms generally go dead once 1 side completely dominates the other.

I've always thought that it was bullshit that it costs $25 to move a character. It's not like it's a hard or arduous process for them. Practically takes 5 seconds.