Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] Movie night, need a few horror flicks suggestions :)

Alright guys and gals.

I'm having a friend over next week for some dinner and movie-watching. We both like horror movies and enjoy a good scare. Now, we've seen a few of the more popular ones out there and I'm not sure what we should watch next week.

I don't mind a horror flick which has monsters in it, as long as it's a believable monster (means no crappy CGI) and it fits in well with the story. Don't want the monster to overtake the whole movie, the suspense is a big thing. I don't want any gore movies in which the monster just kills teenagers upon teenagers for no apparent reason, like Jason Voorhees does.

No, a good horror flick. The kind that doesn't let you get any sleep that night.
    We're both aiming for a scare, and after the movie, are planning to go down in our basement with just a candle and a match (one match that is..)
    So in essence, the suspense is almost worth more than the actual monster - a good example of this is Paranormal Activity, a movie we both thoroughly enjoyed.
    We've seen a few of the Alien movies (she hadn't seen them before so it was a good match, cult status and everything), Paranormal Activity one and two, just to name a few.

Perhaps The Grudge would be a decent choice? I remember it caused a bit of a stir back when it was released..
    Ringu (original version) was pretty good if I remember correctly. Haven't seen the US version yet though.

Any thoughts, guys and gals?

Deleted
    I didnt find the grudge scary.

1408 is good, and if you liked Paranormal Activity...I much prefered Paranormal Entity.

Thats all I can think of, horror movies are basically dramas to me now, grew accustomed to it by watching it since I was a toddler.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want to vomit- the human centipede
    if you want scary..Zombie nation......lol
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

ThanksKilling. It's available for instant streaming on NetFlix. The movie will change your life.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

zombie land was uber scary i pissed my pants...

OT: nightmare on elm street was decent and i heard the scream movies were good never saw them myself thought it was stupid.

Nice suggestions, thanks

Yes, 1408 was a movie we enjoyed as well!
    Guess we have a few choices now, I'll try to pick out one or two of the good ones (like Zombieland )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysmic Skyris View Post
    zombie land was uber scary i pissed my pants...
    Really?

I must be jaded. I thought it was a comedy.

To the OP:

Can't go wrong with "The Exorcist."

"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" might be good considering your basement plan. They're remaking that (Guillermo Del Toro is directing), and the remake might be really good (for once). I don't know if the original still holds up. I haven't seen it in over 25 years. But it really creeped me out as a kid.
    Last edited by Disenchanted; 2011-04-21 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Really?

Can't go wrong with "The Exorcist."

"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" might be good considering your basement plan. They're remaking that (Guillermo Del Toro is directing), and the remake might be really good (for once). I don't know if the original still holds up. I haven't seen it in over 25 years. But it really creeped me out as a kid.
    I actually watched The Exorcist about a month ago, wasn't scary at all anymore
    As for "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", it does seem decent actually. Could be bad, could be good. We'll know later on!
    Link here to Wikipedia, for those who wanna read a bit more.

Deleted
    AVOID "DRAG ME TO HELL"

worst plot ever....

anything Japanese works fine

If you're in the mood for an OTT Comedy Horror

Quote Originally Posted by Gregwar View Post
    AVOID "DRAG ME TO HELL"

worst plot ever....

anything Japanese works fine
    It was really really funny tho.

OT: I love the Saw films personally. The japanese 'The Ring' is fantastic (the american one is shit. Why do they insist on remaking everything worse, subtitles arent hard to read). Also...

THE CUBE TRILOGY. Okay, they are kinda terrible. But watch them, they are quite good.

Oh, and stay away from slash horror; its not scary! The scream films are just stupid and funny.
    Last edited by Darkdruidelf; 2011-04-21 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post

If you're in the mood for an OTT Comedy Horror
    I actually have this!
    Definately a 'so bad it comes round the other way and becomes good'-movie

Depends on what you'd call scary and what sort of sources you have access to... I mean personally I like horror movies not because they scare me necessarily but because they're just a fun thing to watch. Try something like Scanners or Braindead (might be listed as Dead Alive depending on the region.)

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND:

NOROI (japense but 110% worth it)

trailer here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5VNsEeAMY
    Last edited by Arteous; 2011-04-21 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    I STRONGLY RECOMMEND:

NOROI (japense but 110% worth it)

It's okay but it's long for the kind of movie it is and there's way too many fucking characters. Lol. 2 hours++ the English title is The Curse if you're interested though.

[Rec] is the best for just an all out frightening movie that will stay with you. American version (quarantine) is basically shot for shot the same.

The Host is one of the best monster movies out there - Korean.

Severance is a great slasher flick with a little comedy.

And really? Zombieland? How did that movie possibly scare you? Funny as hell, but scary? No. Stay far far away from Human Centipede. Waaaaay over-hyped. Aside from a few sickening moments, the movie was dull, dull, dull.

Deleted
    The Host & Psycho are both great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregwar View Post
    AVOID "DRAG ME TO HELL"

worst plot ever....

Someone missed the point.

OT:

[Rec] is an excellently shot, and very creepy horror movie.

If you're looking for a bit less horror, and a bit more legitamately scary and provocative movies, and you haven't seen Tarkovskiy's Solaris or Stalker, together with Alien (original, only good one) they are the epitome of the scifi horror genre.

REC was good but rec2 sucked balls. Ever watch Amityville? take a look at that series. Also Poltergeist. (why can't hollywood make good scary movies nowadays? just rehash gore films)

Deleted
    try with descent 1 - 2 if u havent seen em or the hills has eyes 1-2 pretty good movies,