Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Isn't the song in question written about being who you are? And as such, shouldn't we accept everyone for whoever they are? It's pretty hypocritical of you to call me out on being one of "those people" when being intolerant of "those people" violates everything she sings about in the song. Don't criticize me for being different (baby, I was born this way).
    Why is it in quotes though? Lady Gaga is her full stage name; whether you think she's worthy of the title 'Lady', or whether you think she is or is not a woman is completely irrelevent. Therefore putting that part of her stage name in quotation marks does have wider denigrating connotations as it suggests an attack on her for being what you think she is, rather than attack on her perceived behaviour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loot View Post
    Please show where Gaga copied Madonna.

Protip: Born This Way and Express Yourself are in a different key, different BPM, have different drum patterns+bass lines, and have vocal melodies similar in the chorus (which has been common since I don't know, the dawn of music). The songs do not sound similar at all.

Try me.
    To ask that, you have to be blind and deaf. How did you read my post and reply?

She stole Madonna's whole schtick. You cannot deny that. Sure, she built on it, but it is what it is. "Hey, instead of giant, pointy cones, how about GUNS for a bra! Oooo, I'm so original." She's pushing boundaries, sure. But Madonna was doing that when Stefani was still in diapers. She's not a trailblazer. She's merely following in someone else's footsteps. There's nothing wrong with that until you start claiming you're unique, and breaking new ground. pfft...

As to the songs, yes. They have different melodies, time, and slightly different keys. But you only don't hear the similarities if you're tone deaf, a "monster," or Lady Gaga herself. Everyone heard it. Hell, even MADONNA heard it. (I remember her commenting on it, but, alas, I cannot find the quote now) She has been graceful about it, taking it as an homage (which it could easily have been called until Gaga claimed it wasn't).

No, it's not out and out plagiarism. But the song structure, basic chord progression, and style are too similar to be coincidence. There's nothing wrong with it, seeing as Madonna was an influence on Gaga. That is, until Gaga goes bonkers whenever anyone points out the similarities. They're there. Everyone hears it. Most don't mind, but they do hear it.

Personally, I really don't care much for either of them. Just not to my taste. To each their own. But I - NOT a Madonna fan by any stretch - started singing "Express Yourself" over "Born this Way" the very first time I heard it.

Vanilla Ice once claimed he didn't steal from Queen because he added an extra beat in the bass line. LOL (I'm not comparing Gaga to Vanilla ice. That was true theft. Just found it humorous)
    Last edited by Disenchanted; 2011-04-21 at 09:38 AM.

I didn't read the whole topic, but there was an update on that blog page, saying that Lady Gaga never actually heard the song, her mananger disaproved of the song without her evening knowing about it.

http://alyankovic.wordpress.com/

It's a cool song, i wanna see the video they had planned.

Someone needs a new manager, then. I'm happy for Al, nice to see things go right for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    It's not an insult, it's fun. There's a difference. Most parodies are like that.

Think of it like a celebrity roast. Yeah, they throw around insults, but it's all in good hearted fun.

If he really wanted to insult her, do you honestly think he would ask her permission to put the song on his album?
    Exactly, it should be an honor to be parodied by Weird Al. It's kinda like being made fun of on South Park.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    He has his fair use rights. He didn't have to ask her for permission, it's just a policy of his I guess.
    He takes his Parodying very seriously it seems.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Poor Weird Al =(
    I thought this song was pretty awesome, better than the original, anyway.
    Agreed so much.

Very happy she approved it now. Weird Al is a great guy.

Edit: Also moved to Cinema/TV Shows/Music/Books and title changed.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-04-22 at 06:10 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

lol I like it better than the original..

but I love Weird Al.

Edit: Wow I just listened to Express yourself for the first time and wow, born this way is such a big ripoff its not even funny. I'm not a fan of madanna or lady gaga, but its just true.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-04-22 at 06:34 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    The entire parody is an insult to her.
    Because overstating the obvious through music is some how insulting? Weird Al has been doing parodies since most pop stars have been born and hell, he has parodied some rock artists as well. A lot of parodies wind up being about the original writers/performers themselves which is the point of a parody.

i wouldn't want some dipshit getting pub off my work either. he's made a career off the career of others. i've never met anyone who thought he was funny but i bet the wow community does, they are into memes as old as they are.

/2 loves weird al

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 03:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khaowdruid View Post
    Exactly, it should be an honor to be parodied by Weird Al. It's kinda like being made fun of on South Park.
    well, southpark is funny and creative. a weird al parody would be like getting made fun of on north park, the "show inspired by south park but still very original" even though it isn't

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    While I'm not a fan of Gaga, I'm glad to see her change her mind. Although, she probably did it realize then fan base that listens to Wierd Al might come sniffing around to listen to her song, which is more money for her; rather than realizing it's the right thing to do.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    To ask that, you have to be blind and deaf. How did you read my post and reply?

She stole Madonna's whole schtick. You cannot deny that. Sure, she built on it, but it is what it is. "Hey, instead of giant, pointy cones, how about GUNS for a bra! Oooo, I'm so original." She's pushing boundaries, sure. But Madonna was doing that when Stefani was still in diapers. She's not a trailblazer. She's merely following in someone else's footsteps. There's nothing wrong with that until you start claiming you're unique, and breaking new ground. pfft...

As to the songs, yes. They have different melodies, time, and slightly different keys. But you only don't hear the similarities if you're tone deaf, a "monster," or Lady Gaga herself. Everyone heard it. Hell, even MADONNA heard it. (I remember her commenting on it, but, alas, I cannot find the quote now) She has been graceful about it, taking it as an homage (which it could easily have been called until Gaga claimed it wasn't).

No, it's not out and out plagiarism. But the song structure, basic chord progression, and style are too similar to be coincidence. There's nothing wrong with it, seeing as Madonna was an influence on Gaga. That is, until Gaga goes bonkers whenever anyone points out the similarities. They're there. Everyone hears it. Most don't mind, but they do hear it.

Personally, I really don't care much for either of them. Just not to my taste. To each their own. But I - NOT a Madonna fan by any stretch - started singing "Express Yourself" over "Born this Way" the very first time I heard it.

Vanilla Ice once claimed he didn't steal from Queen because he added an extra beat in the bass line. LOL (I'm not comparing Gaga to Vanilla ice. That was true theft. Just found it humorous)
    she's more marilyn manson than madonna. marilyn manson was all butthurt about it recently. he said he's fine having influenced her but wanted credit, even though he's not supposed to care about that stuff. he's like an anarchist who uses public transportation

Quote Originally Posted by herren View Post
    i wouldn't want some dipshit getting pub off my work either. he's made a career off the career of others. i've never met anyone who thought he was funny but i bet the wow community does, they are into memes as old as they are.
    I was a fan of Weird Al far before WoW even existed, so I'm seeing some holes in your logic.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Isn't the song in question written about being who you are? And as such, shouldn't we accept everyone for whoever they are? It's pretty hypocritical of you to call me out on being one of "those people" when being intolerant of "those people" violates everything she sings about in the song. Don't criticize me for being different (baby, I was born this way).

Besides, the real reason I put the quotes is because the people in Gaga's camp (regardless of who made the original decision and her personal decision to approve now) made him jump through hoops and led him by the nose to record the whole song before shooting it down, which doesn't seem like a very amicable thing to do (i.e. she wasn't being very lady-like).

Now, clearly the situation has been diffused and really, there's nothing left to talk about and I'm sorry about the rage. Hopefully we can all come together and support these two musicians and their causes.
    Yup, and recording songs takes time and money, anyone who thinks it didn't cost Weird Al anything is only fooling themselves. Odds are he will make back what he made doing the recording but he lost money just to essentially do a demo.

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 11:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by herren View Post

/2 loves weird al

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 03:42 PM ----------

well, southpark is funny and creative. a weird al parody would be like getting made fun of on north park, the "show inspired by south park but still very original" even though it isn't
    You must have missed the whole part where Weird Al writes his own music as well, only his parodies are the popular songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    The entire parody is an insult to her.
    People who take themselves seriously always fail.

Love Lady Gaga, Love Spoofs

Deleted
    Laddy Gaga didn't decide whether or not Weird Al could release his parody. Her record company did. Why do people always assume it's the artists that have control over these sort of things?

10+ Year Old Account
    This has my seal of approval. Nothing offensive about it at all, and made me laugh on numerous occasions.

Although I don't approve how a mod changed the title once already... and it's still wrong and sets up the common rager for more raging.

Edit: ah ok the "(initially)" part slipped the net at first. Carry on.
    Last edited by Rageissues; 2011-04-22 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    He takes his Parodying very seriously it seems.
    Indeed he does. Hey may release a song, but before he makes a dime of profit, he asks permission to parody. And when people say no, he backs off. It's damn decent of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Laddy Gaga didn't decide whether or not Weird Al could release his parody. Her record company did. Why do people always assume it's the artists that have control over these sort of things?
    Because virtually nobody on this entire forum knows what the fuck they are talking about.

---------- Post added 2011-04-22 at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Glomp View Post
    People who take themselves seriously always fail.
    You're either a troll or completely retarded. Either way, enjoy burger flipping the rest of your life.