Thread: Virus?

Deleted

Exclamation Virus?

I was searching for a World of Warcraft background for my computer, so I searched google for 'World of Warcraft Cataclysm' and pressed images.
    Then I filtered all the images so only images with 1920x1080 would be shown.
    The fourth image was a map of wow, I clicked it and the only thing I saw was letters/symbols and after that my virus scanner reported malicious software and blocked it.
    I did a virus scan and ran CCleaner. The virus scan showed no results of malicious software.

Is my computer safe now? or could there still be a threat?

Deleted
    I use AVG, and yes it alerted as soon as I opened the page. the location was firefox.exe and the name of the virus was (I can't remember but something like) Rogue scanner...

Funny enough, 2 seconds ago I looked at another page and yes... this one showed the same virus/ and again avg popped with a warning

If it's happening on multiple, separate pages, your browser could be compromised, or your whole system. AVG is passable, but don't rely on only it for protection. I also use MalwareBytes and SpyBot: Search and Destroy. I use them to sweep pretty much every computer people bring to me with problems.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    should I delete and reinstall firefox?

I would reformat, as something is hijacking your browser and nothing is picking it up, but that is just me. Google the type and that message, follow the instructions that show up similar to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic293340.html

Reformat is the easy way out. This is definitely fixable without having to do so.

Run combofix and hijackthis.
    Dont rely on consumer level AV scanners. Consumer AV is designed for active protection, their scanners and removal tools are purposely weak.
    http://www.orphanguild.com/ - SWTOR Guild US West Coast PvP

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. I replicated the results. Nothing popped up on MSE and Kapersky, but it minimized my Firefox. Interesting...
    I'm also not noticing that there's any hijacking/etc.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-04-22 at 03:14 PM.

Get SpyBot Search and Destroy, update it fully and run it. Chances are if there's anything messing with your browser, it'll find it. Also, see if you can get Microsoft Security Essentials (by and far better than AVG) and remove AVG before installing MSE. Do a full system scan with both SpyBot and MSE and it SHOULD get it. If it doesn't come up with anything and you're still having the issues, reformat and reinstall.

Regardless of the anti-malware program you install and run, make sure you do so in Safe Mode... I personally recommend Malware-Bytes, as it has removed Trojans and the like that other anti-viruses didn't even pick up for me. After they're gone, I would pick up Microsoft Security Essentials (for free from the Microsoft site) like others have recommended.

However, a fool-proof plan (like others have mentioned) is to reformat your HDD (i.e. reinstalling Windows).

Deleted
    I did a scan with Spybot- Search & Destroy.
    Here are the results: http://img27.imageshack.us/i/scank.png/

As you can see in the picture (bottom right) my automatic backup started. I did not notice this, and I think you are unable to cancel it. So reformating is not an option now
    I will also try the other suggestions. thanks!