Deleted

is MyDefrag a decent drive defragmenter?

i want to defragment my hard disk drive (i have been recommended to do so regularly, haven't defragged this laptop yet), but i have read on a microsoft website (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-fcdd7094b269) that MyDefrag is better than the windows 7 defragmenter (read: faster). i intend to run it overnight tonight, but i first want to know if other people have experience with it. my harddrive is for about 5/6 full (50 GB out of 300 LEFT) and has been in use for a little over a year now. i have installed and uninstalled and created and deleted at least 200 files and programs so far. i intend to run the "monthly" script now, and the weekly script every friday evening. anyone with some comments?

10+ Year Old Account
    Auslogics defrag and Piriform Defraggler are both berry good choices

10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped defragging my drives (i reformat every 6 -8 months now instead) because last time I defragged (in 2001 windows ME woohoo) the defrag somehow erased my allocation table, and i had to reformat anyways.

Deleted
    i think that had more to do with the fact that it was ME... everyone i talked to said it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashield28 View Post
    I stopped defragging my drives (i reformat every 6 -8 months now instead) because last time I defragged (in 2001 windows ME woohoo) the defrag somehow erased my allocation table, and i had to reformat anyways.
    I've never had an issue like that... then again, I was fortunate enough to not use Windows ME. I'd say the OS you were using was to blame there :P.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    after reading some more, i've decided to take the piriform. i installed it and analysed my drive, and it has 22% fragmentation. is that enough to warrant a defrag?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    after reading some more, i've decided to take the piriform. i installed it and analysed my drive, and it has 22% fragmentation. is that enough to warrant a defrag?
    Yeah, I would defrag that.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    okay, i'll start it off now. disable wifi (due to no virus scanner), disable virus scanner, anything else i should disable?