Poll: What Do You Gear First?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

In Your Raids, What Do You Gear First?

My guild is getting into teir gear, slow but sure, but I am here to see what your guild gears 1st. I know some top end guilds gear their tanks and healers 1st, and this was how we were going to do it, but then one of our IRL friend's guild ( server 1st type guilds on everything) they gear their DPS 1st. They both make sense to me but I going to see how you guys do it, and why you do it that way.

***NOTE*** ALL dps,tanks,heals show up for all raids, and are great at what they do.

---------- Post added 2011-04-19 at 10:00 AM ----------

My vote is ../roll because we are all friends and everyone does their part well

Few ideas:
    -Out of the people that need on a token choose the guy that has the worst gear and give it to him
    -Give token to someone who will receive set bonus first
    -Think which part of your raid you need to improve the most (dps/tanks/heals)
    -if everyone benefits the same and have same ilvl on the said token slot they can roll

Just remember that dps are as needed to kill a boss as tanks and healers, dont discriminate against them.

We see what's the biggest upgrade for who to see who gets what rather than gear role A before role B.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

If tank/healer gear drops, give it to tanks/healers, if dps gear drops give it to dps, if token drops /roll.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

First and foremost, all roles are vitally important. Tanks and healers are considered the "essentials" but without geared DPS, healing or damage attrition may catch up to you because you can't end the fight fast enough. I would never blindly issue tokens based purely on role. There are a few important factors to consider here.

1. Skill. In considering someone, are you confident in their ability to play and get the most out of the upgrade?
    2. Gear differential. Who is going to get the most benefit? Whose 2p/4p is better?
    3. Raid composition. You need to know who needs what. Be aware of the Conqueror/Vanquisher/Protector makeup of your group.
    4. Progression. If you're brickwalling on a fight where healing is an issue, maybe your next Cho'gall shoulder token should go to a healer.

Luckily for you, you evaluate everyone in your raid to be on the same (or similar) skill/play/attendance grade, so it should come down to just the situational factors. Be aware of these every raid night and loot issues will be minimized.

doesn't really matter who gets what first, as long as everyone's average is about the same... Really though if a healer or dps is still sporting a blue helm and the tanks have 359s, they ought to pass up on the token for it for the healer or dps needing the big upgrade. you can't get anywhere if you start prioritizing egos over upgrades for your raid member. a jump from 346 to 359 is just as important as a set bonus.

Whoever has the most dkp. Amazing, we found a way for people to work for what they get!
    Tie = /roll

Since nothing except three drops is mutually exclusive it's just /rnd. On another note the importance of dps and healer gear has increased a lot in WoW since vanilla. We always had MT1 and MT2 prio on all tank drops no matter what where the DKP was at in Vanilla, pretty much because having undergeared tanks was the only thing blocking you from progressing all the way up to late AQ40.

We've always ran things based on past loot history in raids vs what dropped. We had, for example, the caster leather shoulders from Omnitron drop, we happen to run 2 Resto Druids and a Boomkin, and the Boomkin outright passed, saying he'd wait til the healers got their drops first. Mighty fine of him to say the least.

We also didn't get started raiding until everyone was already up to 346 in all slot they couldn't get Rep/Crafted Epics for. A few even ran BoT trash runs for the Spirit Staff (both Healer Druids) and Soul Blades (DW Frost DK).

If you got a good, close-knit group you raid with, egos and loot-whoring shouldn't be an issue. Bigger guilds tend to have these issues I've seen from past experience, especially those that run with DKP (Dealt with it in the past).

Worst gear + Best attendance + Best attitude + Most effort + Seniority = First to get gear. And if it's a complete tie between two people, tank > healer > DPS (Though, it's rarely a tie between two people)

TBH other than final bosses that drop tokens you have to see what drops, all are need having a good tank geared can be awesome to help out everyone else but eventually it all needs to show up to an equal state. meh my 2 cents.

Worst gear + Best attendance + Best attitude + Most effort + Seniority = First to get gear. And if it's a complete tie between two people, tank > healer > DPS (Though, it's rarely a tie between two people)
    We generally do this. This isn't wrath where you can gear a tank and a pally to heal him and then hide behind them for the next 3 tiers anymore. Every roll is just as important as every other roll.

Our 10-man guild has been using Loot Council since TBC, and has never ran into any large hiccups... As for who gets geared first, there's nothing set in stone except: the MT gets first dibs. He is the one taking the majority of the punishment, and so his gear is of the utmost importance. Our top healer is usually the first caster to get gear, but the rest is up to the Loot Council.

The way my guild does it is loot council and we give gear to the person that is the biggest contribution to the raid.
    And everyone is quiet satisfied with this system we are a 25man raiding guild and have over 39 people log on from raid time and we havent lost a single member for them not being able to raid, so i suggest you figure out how to implement this system, it will make everyone happy.

GIVE IT TO YOUR TANKS.

Trust me this was not the case in Wrath but like in BC, Cata raid tanks should be priority 1.

I say tank/heals at the start but once you get geared a little get your dps decked out

Deleted
    "Officers" wasn't an option .

But on a serious note, we tend to gear tanks & healers first, tho if it's a much bigger upgrade for a dps they get it instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not an official rule and we don't hold to it very strongly, but generally we try to make sure that the main tank gets his needed upgrades first when the raid is first starting out. This mostly involves the offtank voluntarily passing on upgrades for slots he doesn't urgently need something in. By the time we're getting tier gear, though, everyone is usually geared enough that we don't follow priorities anymore. But I imagine if, hypothetically, the tank had terrible shoulders and the tier shoulder token was between a DPS and the tank, the DPS would probably pass it to him.

The only time we really hold hard to this priority is when making raid craftables like BiS items with raid drop materials (like Primordial Saronite stuff in ICC) or in the case of resistance gear. In those cases, we funnel the materials first into tanks, then into healers, and lastly into DPS.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10m raid with 10 people. We use the NBG built in system.

It's important that all three roles are well geared when doing the harder hardmodes.