Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Smoking? You mean I will pay for inhalation of a smoke that inevitably leads to lung cancer and/or other diseases and later on death?

No thanks. 0 cigarettes / lifetime.

With booze you at least get something for the money (you get drunk, duh) but with cigarettes you just get addicted and then pay and pay and pay without getting anything back.
    It really is kinda funny. I guess smokers have some kinda troubles, thus start smoking because they've read it's relaxing or because they think "whats so bad about a single one?"[Not much, tbh.]
    At first, it tastes horrible. Still, they keep at it because they think it might get better and after some time, it starts tasting good.
    Now they have several problems:
    a) They have a higher chance of dieing earlier.
    b) They have to pay lots of money for cigarettes. That stuff is FAR from cheap. [1 pack a day? That's ~120 bucks a month. Do you have any idea what awesome stuff you could do with that much money?]
    c) They need cigarettes for relaxation. Difference to prior smoking is that now they don't want them to relax, they need them because they can't be relaxed without them.

Smoking has it's up-sides, though. Easy conversation-starter, does relax you when you need it and can give a unique taste once you're used to it.
    Still, these up-sides stand in no comparison to the disadvantages of smoking.

Deleted
    I didnt find it to be horrible at first, mostly because I started only doing it when drunk.

Used to smoke half a pack/day when I was in 10th grade. Got some lung disease(probably not related at all) and couldn't come close to anyone smoking without having a severe coughing fit for months and haven't smoked since.
    My girlfriend smokes 1 cig/day, dunno how she does that, really.

I wish she'd quit, though. Regardless of what it does to your health, kissing her after a smoke is pretty gross, fuck smoking.

I smoke like 7g a day but not of what you smoke.
    Oh wait wrong substance. Personally I think Tabacy is wacky but hey to each his own i suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is my answer to the question...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    It really is kinda funny. I guess smokers have some kinda troubles, thus start smoking because they've read it's relaxing or because they think "whats so bad about a single one?"[Not much, tbh.]
    At first, it tastes horrible. Still, they keep at it because they think it might get better and after some time, it starts tasting good.
    Now they have several problems:
    a) They have a higher chance of dieing earlier.
    b) They have to pay lots of money for cigarettes. That stuff is FAR from cheap. [1 pack a day? That's ~120 bucks a month. Do you have any idea what awesome stuff you could do with that much money?]
    c) They need cigarettes for relaxation. Difference to prior smoking is that now they don't want them to relax, they need them because they can't be relaxed without them.

Smoking has it's up-sides, though. Easy conversation-starter, does relax you when you need it and can give a unique taste once you're used to it.
    Still, these up-sides stand in no comparison to the disadvantages of smoking.
    If you smoke a pack a day in Ireland, that's 365 days a year it costs at the least, 2920 Euro, that's 4247 Dollars or 2571 pound.

If you saved the money from smoking for the extra five years you'd live you'd have enough money for 3 month world tour in luxury (14,600 Euro) or have enough money for a second car, pay the average home payments for 8/12 months depending.

3-4 a day.

smoking is totally fuckin' stupid tho. it's like burning money.

15 cigarettes a day or so. The strongest brand (at least in Norway).
    I'm going to hell anyways, might as well enjoy the ride.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    smoking is totally fuckin' stupid tho. it's like burning money.
    Lucky me for having a father that made his first million recently :P Just have to wait for him to die and some of its mine :P

I'm a social smoker - I only smoke with others or when I hang out.

That would be 15~ cigarettes a week.

I used to smoke, around 10 cigs a day and I still do when I've had something to drink (Smoking while drunk gives this nice little high. It's awesome) but nowadays I mostly snus. Snus is epic.

Sometimes zero a die, other days 3 a day. I'm not really into smoking, but it relaxes me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    Lucky me for having a father that made his first million recently :P Just have to wait for him to die and some of its mine :P
    What a bonus you are to society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    What a bonus you are to society.
    Ack well, worst case scenario he doesn't give any to me and I have to be a criminologist :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarook View Post
    I used to smoke, around 10 cigs a day and I still do when I've had something to drink (Smoking while drunk gives this nice little high. It's awesome) but nowadays I mostly snus. Snus is epic.
    Good choice, Snus is essentially harmless. It's studied into the ground and all the research I've done on it suggests the worst possible outcome are pancreatic diseases but no evidence for this has come to light. Even with hypertension, Snus has shown it causes a drop in overall blood pressure.

---------- Post added 2011-04-23 at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scotia View Post
    Ack well, worst case scenario he doesn't give any to me and I have to be a criminologist :P
    I'd not recommend going into criminology directly. Better off with a B.A in Sociology with criminology modules then do something like a H.Dip then a masters in criminology. There's little use for criminologists in terms of career, few jobs to start with. Going B.A->H.Dip->M.A. provides a huge range of career choices with the least invested time, maximum of 5 years study only.

I used to smoke about a pack or two a week if I wasn't drinking. If I was drinking I could easily go through a pack or more in a night, though it's hard to know how many I personally smoke. Nowadays it's down to a couple of cigaretts a month mostly when I am stressed out about something.

Deleted
    Not gonna derail this thread, I don't smoke as much these days as I used to, and I don't smoke fags at all, socially i smoke sometimes.
    H Dip is shit though, teaching has very few benefits these days as a career choice unless you love teaching! Personally I'm going for my masters
    /wave at Unc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I'd not recommend going into criminology directly. Better off with a B.A in Sociology with criminology modules then do something like a H.Dip then a masters in criminology. There's little use for criminologists in terms of career, few jobs to start with. Going B.A->H.Dip->M.A. provides a huge range of career choices with the least invested time, maximum of 5 years study only.
    Yeah maybe, I dont mind too much about a career I just need something remotely interesting as a backup plan if my planned authorness doesnt work.

I don't smoke. I think its disgusting and anyone who does it in public should be fined. Keep your cancer to yourself.
    Translation: What I believe is right, not just for me but for everyone. Do what I say or gtfo. Your personal desires don't mean shit because I find them wrong.

Stop trying to control other people. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

OT: I smoke occasionally, maybe a pack every few weeks or so. Usually if I'm drinking or out with others who do the same.

*edit* sp

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashunt View Post
    Not gonna derail this thread, I don't smoke as much these days as I used to, and I don't smoke fags at all, socially i smoke sometimes.
    H Dip is shit though, teaching has very few benefits these days as a career choice unless you love teaching! Personally I'm going for my masters
    /wave at Unc
    A H-Dip takes one year and if you're a man in my country there's a huge demand for teachers. The number of male teachers in Ireland are quite lower than women, teachers in general are on the decline. But it's just advised to get all the degrees you can while in Uni right now, by the time I'm finished I'll have degrees in three different fields (four degrees in total) and be a Dr. of English, not too shabby.