Thread: Upgrade advice.

Upgrade advice.

Hey everyone, Was reading about SSD harddrives and how they are alot quicker ect. Started to do a little bit of research and came across PCI-epress SSD drives. My question is would it be worth going for something such as w*w.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_909&products_id=14966 (* = W) and would i see much improvements with my system?

Since they are only 120GB i only install Windows and games onto the SSD and keep my other drive for random shit such as movies/downloads i take it?
    Anything else i should know about SSD before investing into one or recommendations?

My spec is as follows.
    Intel i7 920 2.6ghz.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285.
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard.
    500gb (5400) Hard drive.
    10GB ram at 1333 (got 12GB free from mate and one stick died).

Thanks for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best pcie hard drive is OcZ revo drives, but they are way expensive.

A Sata SSD is good enough for a gamer, and your motherboard is also a factor in pcie drives, it needs a bios option to boot from pcie, if it cant you cant use the drive.

Board is awesome, and your ram is overclocked, as long as its got cooling its good as is.

You could get a new video card, a 2gig ram model or a 2 gpu model like Radeon 6990, but like the revo drive its got a big price.
    Get something like an nvidia 480 or radeon 5870.

The cpu would be ok with a tiny overclock or you could get the next cpu up in the series, but id hold off on that for this year.

Thanks for fast reply, Had a look for Sata SSD. w*w.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_909&products_id=15487 .

Might think about over clocking the 920

As for graphics cards. w*w.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1193&products_id=16798 Doesn't seem to expensive for a upgrade atm.

Does 120GB last awhile, i only really play WoW and Starcraft 2 atm but once BF3 and D3 comes out ill be smashing them as well, worth going for 2 120GB drives or just wait and see?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think your going to use up the space get a cheap 1 or 2 tb drive for extra storage or for older games.

Tried to see the video card the link didn't work what was the name of the card?

Sorry about that, should really check links first. the name of it is: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Super Overclock 950MHz for 299 AU. w*w.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1193&products_id=16798 (*=w) Link again. When im posting the link it seems to add a space in the word "product" for some reason so just remove the space and change the * to W and it works. Not sure why its doing it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpreter View Post
    Sorry about that, should really check links first. the name of it is: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Super Overclock 950MHz for 299 AU. w*w.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1193&products_id=16798 (*=w) Link again. When im posting the link it seems to add a space in the word "product" for some reason so just remove the space and change the * to W and it works. Not sure why its doing it
    Because your account is new on mmo champ you cant link.

Anyways, take a look at the Radeon 5870, or the 6k series, not the 6990 but anything else in the 6k series.
    They are dirt cheap and run smooth.

Alright will do, thanks for your help. time to buy online .