10+ Year Old Account
    No underwater area in any game has ever been liked. Humans, by and large are too stupid to understand being in an X/Y/Z axis. This is why most humans never look up and if one is looking up the rest do too, even if their's nothing there, try it sometime.

Of all the games I have ever played, Vash'ir was the best underwater zone by far and most players hated it. Malygos was the most hated fight in WotLK, AL'akir is the most hated fight in Cata. Z axis. <----

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    No underwater area in any game has ever been liked. Humans, by and large are too stupid to understand being in an X/Y/Z axis. This is why most humans never look up and if one is looking up the rest do too, even if their's nothing there, try it sometime.

Of all the games I have ever played, Vash'ir was the best underwater zone by far and most players hated it. Malygos was the most hated fight in WotLK, AL'akir is the most hated fight in Cata. Z axis. <----
    I think al'akir is most hated because of phase 1 actually

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post

I think one of the biggest problems with the things you mentioned are that they are essenentially exactly the same as the rest of the game with the Z Axis tacked on to make it a bit different. This isn't the case in GW2 as it has been designed from the start to include this feature, rather than adding it on as an afterthought. Going underwater in GW2 changes both the way you move and the way you play, but not in a negative way. You don't get any movement penalities, you have different skills, but they're all your skills, not a couple of boring vehicle skills that have nothing to do with your character, and the underwater content is not purely restricted to one zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineer gameplay

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    I know, we shouldn't compare with WoW, but does anyone look at GW2 underwater, and then at Vashir, and think . . .
    Of course we can't really judge until GW2 is released and we can try it. But still.
    Hey now, I like Vashj'ir. But honestly, ANet nailed this underwater thing. At least Blizzard did what they could with an ancient game engine and it actually turned out pretty nice. Instead, let's focus our attention on another game, in which you can't swim or explore underwater at all. (and I'm not talking about GW1)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Hey now, I like Vashj'ir. But honestly, ANet nailed this underwater thing. At least Blizzard did what they could with an ancient game engine and it actually turned out pretty nice. Instead, let's focus our attention on another game, in which you can't swim or explore underwater at all. (and I'm not talking about GW1)
    gw1? =p

I can see the trolls in 10 years, "SWTOR2 WILL SUCK, NO SWIMMING AMAGAD"
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2011-06-27 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot a number :p

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    gw1? =p

I can see the trolls in 10 years, "SWTOR WILL SUCK, NO SWIMMING AMAGAD"
    Swimming will not be in TOR for ship. It is not a 'free feature' we turned off and is actually a huge amount of animation, pathfinding and AI work. Either every creature in the game needs to have water moving/fighting animations and AI to handle 3D movement or combat has to stop in the water with all the AI craziness that having safe zones you can jump in and out of entails... Swimming was not an easy feature to implement in SWTOR. The inclusion of swimming was weighed against other features and was cut for launch.
    Figuratively speaking, the ANet devs just pulled out their dick and slapped Bioware across the face with it. Okay maybe just: /flex 'lul luk wat we haz.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Figuratively speaking, the ANet devs just pulled out their dick and slapped Bioware across the face with it. Okay maybe just: /flex 'lul luk wat we haz.'
    Well the BW developers were right though, it IS a lot of work. They put their resources in something else instead. There will be stuff in SWTOR that's not in gw2 (like starfox )

10+ Year Old Account
    That's awesome and all but I would have really liked it if they had finalized Asura and Sylvarri stuff before they showed off all this fancy underwater stuff.

I love the underwater combat (Vashj'ar was my favorite zone in cata) and think it's great but I think showcasing the other races first, and then using them for the demonstrations to show that they're completely ready and such would have been a much better idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    That's awesome and all but I would have really liked it if they had finalized Asura and Sylvarri stuff before they showed off all this fancy underwater stuff.

I love the underwater combat (Vashj'ar was my favorite zone in cata) and think it's great but I think showcasing the other races first, and then using them for the demonstrations to show that they're completely ready and such would have been a much better idea.
    Well they probably just have different development teams on those things, and if underwater combat was ready before the sylvari redesign, they might as well show it, instead of showing nothing.

I agree, was hoping to get through all the race weeks before we moved on to PvP, underwater, guilds, etc. Particularly since I was leaning towards Sylvari for the longest time, and lack of information has made me all but commit entirely to my main being Charr. jvbastel is probably right for the Sylvari at least, (not so sure about Asura) still iterating on the final look for that race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Well they probably just have different development teams on those things, and if underwater combat was ready before the sylvari redesign, they might as well show it, instead of showing nothing.
    I get that, but it might just take even longer now that they've polished all their underwater stuff enough for norn, humans and char (I think I saw an asura as well) but haven't been able to properly test and polish all the sylvarri stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that, but it might just take even longer now that they've polished all their underwater stuff enough for norn, humans and char (I think I saw an asura as well) but haven't been able to properly test and polish all the sylvarri stuff.
    Well most of the work is already done, the skills/weapons etc are exactly the same, the only difference is animations, which doesn't have to be done before revealing the 2 races. I'm fairly certain we'll see at least asura this month, before the next big convention, they'll want a new starting zone to show off.

Expect an information lull between now and comic-con and again between comic-con and gamescom. However, they did say that there would be some huge surprises for gamescom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this thread has been pretty slow lately, let's liven things up with funny stories. What's the best moment you had in GW1 or it's expansions

For me, it was while doing GVG, we were losing every fight that day, think we went down from rank 200 to 500 or something.
    Before our last battle, everyone lost hope, and to lighten things up, I placed a bet, that if we won, I was allowed to change the guild cape to a flying pink piglet with a sunny sky as the background. Surprise surprise, we faced a henchway team (not heroes, actual henchman ) and won in 3 minutes or so We still have the cape to this day

A little off topic perhaps but the next update for GW will have 42 new quests in the first phase of Winds of Change. I'm pretty impressed by the small live team they have going there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A little off topic perhaps but the next update for GW will have 42 new quests in the first phase of Winds of Change. I'm pretty impressed by the small live team they have going there.
    Do you know when that's gonna be?

Do you know when that's gonna be?
    Not sure, I think it's pretty near to completion. Here is a blog about it http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/06/2...nds-of-change/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Not sure, I think it's pretty near to completion. Here is a blog about it http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/06/2...nds-of-change/
    Awesome possum.

10+ Year Old Account