10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I want GW2 to succeed, I know I'll be playing it, but I fear for this game.

After EQ, EQ2, WoW, Rift, Aion, Age of Conan, and many other games I haven't even mentioned, I think consumers are tired of high-fantasy MMO's. This is where ToR's power is going to come from. Other than SW:G which has been defunct for years, EVE, and ST:O, there isn't a Sci-Fi MMO IP out there at the moment.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope to god I'm wrong, but I just see consumers going "Alright, I'm done with 10 years of the same old fantasy shit. Time to move on."
    That's funny, cause my fear is the opposite. Many people might be tired of fantasy orcs and dragons, and play TOR for that reason. But I'm worried they will then think, "Shit, I want to kill me a dragon, not just people and droids." (Not that there are not creatures in Star Wars, but you know what I mean)

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I know someone earlier asked what professions people wanted to play and to answer I want to play a Thief, Guardian, and Warrior

Deleted
    I'll probably end up making one of each class like I did in the first GW, but my top-3 choices for my very first class are Elementalist, Thief and Guardian. Since it seems likely the Mesmer will be back, that class will get moved into the top-3 in favor of the Guardian . As for race choices, I'm not too wild about both the asura and the charr. So far, norn and humans are my favorites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I actually think the 3rd adventurer might be something completely different. Steampunk just isn't really GW-ish to me, although asura and charr have the technology, it just feels TOO silly for a sylvari or norn. we are sure one of the classes wields rifles but not bows.
    The final adventurer profession can use guns but not bows, hence the rumours and specualtions for Engineer/Alchemist professions. They both fit the description, but ofcourse we can't know what it will be until it's released.

On the profession playing question. I was going to play a Charr Warrior but after seeing some piecharts of race/gender/prof combos I'm thinking against Charr since 44% of warriors are being them! Although I will play a Warrior/Theif/Ranger as my main, I'm awaiting the Sylvari redesign before deciding.

I haven't really tried to decide yet: there is the Sylvari redesign still to come, two more professions to be revealed, and I think a couple more race weeks still to go?
    I will probably roll a Norn though, but no idea what profession. And it certainly won't be my only alt - I am excited about the Sylvari, they could be awful or they could be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

There's already 2-3 threads about "what you're going to play in GW2"

Use the search function.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post

Use the search function.
    And this thread is here so that we can have ALL GW:2 related topics in one spot... unlike rift that still seems to have 3 open topics.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post

Use the search function.
    Read thread title, think, profit.

It was common sense to bring "what are you going to play" into "Guild Wars 2: The One Thread". Do you not think?

I usually end up playing some sort of ranger/hunter type in games, even more so if they are able to have pets. But GW2 is the first game in a long time that have made me want to play melee as well. The combat looks very nice, like every move or spell really matters. You don't end up just spamming 2-3 buttons, if it's a hard fight you will actually be using atleast 10-15 different spells (maybe even closer to 20 if you count the downed state) depending on how the fight goes.

That's a quite high number of different stuff to do during a fight, and yet by the videos i've seen so far, it dosen't look overwhelming, it all makes sense some how. They've said that mobs don't have cast bars, instead they've tried to make the fights "over the top" visual, so you really see what's going on. If a boss is going to do some really devestating attack on you, you will see it in the way he lifts his arms and weapon over his head, stuff like that.

All of these different things actually makes me wan't to play melee, just so I can be that much closer to the action, so to speak. So maybe I'll be playing a human Guardian as my main. I'll probably also have a Sylvari Ranger on the side though, just to fulfill my need for a bit of closeness to the nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Khan View Post
    All of these different things actually makes me wan't to play melee, just so I can be that much closer to the action, so to speak. So maybe I'll be playing a human Guardian as my main. I'll probably also have a Sylvari Ranger on the side though, just to fulfill my need for a bit of closeness to the nature.
    Rangers can melee as well - just take a look at the rangers' skills video linked further up this thread.

The idea is that all 8 classes can do a wide range: melee, ranged combat, support rolls etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Eh, this game looks pretty lame, and no subscription fee? Lol. I have to rely on people buying vanity items so they develop new content? And no healing/tanking? How will they develop challenging fights? I just think it's going to be all flash and no actual real teamplay strategy like what we have in current WoW raiding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    Eh, this game looks pretty lame, and no subscription fee? Lol. I have to rely on people buying vanity items so they develop new content? And no healing/tanking? How will they develop challenging fights? I just think it's going to be all flash and no actual real teamplay strategy like what we have in current WoW raiding.
    If you're serious about wanting answers to your "no healing/tanking" questions, the tanking debate was hashed out a number of pages ago, starting on page 8. This article was also linked at one point and should provide you with some information about how a game without the usual trinity is going to work: http://www.arena.net/blog/jon-peters-talks-combat

Regarding new content, ArenaNet will make most of their money simply from box sales. This was the same back in GW1, which had its first major (free!) content update about 6-7 months after its release (Sorrow's Furnace). The first GW's cash shop has been pretty successful (I can't find it at the moment, but a dev mentioned a few months ago that the shop was more successful than fans thought), so I wouldn't worry about new content. Even the first GW is still getting major (free) updates from time to time; we're due for another content update soon (called Winds of Change). And all that without monthly fees

Like what Tristan said I think I'm going to try a melee class first. Warriors are looking good to me. Yes I am like everyone else and thinking about Charr warrior but might go Asura too. Nothing is set in stone. But I do seem to hate human type of races. I just think fantasy ones look better and are funner to play as. For some reason as video games get better the more I hate humans because its so hard to do the mannerisms realistically I think. They just seem stiff and their faults stick out more with improvements compared to something that is not supposed to be human its hard to critique or spot flaws in something that is fictional. And the non human races I think grow on people more over time and have more character compared to a real standard human body type and actions. I checked into the sylvari redesign and will look forward to hearing more. Do the Norn shape change as an elite skill or a cool down or is it cosmetic?

I just watched this warrior video and found it informational

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJuSj..._order&list=UL

The way professions can choose different play styles do you still think one is optimal still? Like melee will always be better at melee than a ranger and never be as good at ranged as a ranger either. The warriors longbow seems to have a lot of aoe abilities to it so do you think changing weapons will be situational and strategic or is each one going to be viable to use at all times based on player preference?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think all professions that can melee and go ranged will be good at either. ArenaNet is trying to make it so you can play how you want to, and I have seen some gameplay videos of ranged thieves and warriors kicking *** and melee rangers seem to do fine as well. Traits will play a big factor with increasing damage with the weapon you are using as well.

I think I will be starting with a more melee oriented Guardian and then see what goes on from there. I like the weapon swap function a lot, because you could melee someone and when they start to run and switch to ranged and end the fight or start the fight from ranged and when they get close switch to melee.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-05-01 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Druxray View Post
    Do the Norn shape change as an elite skill or a cool down or is it cosmetic?
    At least the Guild Wars 2 Wiki claims that Bear/Wolf/Snow Leopard/Raven Form are Racial Elite Skills.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

10+ Year Old Account
    Well now that you can jump... :3

Well done thread though haha, ill have to take a look at this

Guardian I am looking forward to as well. The spirt weapons look awesome and the wallpaper of the asura guardian looks amazing. I have seen staff combat but still waiting for great sword or great hammer footage and abilities. I'm interested as playing as more offensive and not sword and shield.

Deleted
    Rangers don't really appeal to me much (neither do hunters, my level 6 nelf hunter might languish in Dolanaar for quite some time ), but I gotta admit the idea of a axe-wielding ranger is pretty cool.

Seems like a lot of people are planning on playing as Charr, but why wouldn't you? Haha, they're awesome. I'm definitely playing as one. I plan on playing all of the professions at some point because I love having alts. =) But will probably have a ranger as my main, since I always roll as the ranger type in any fantasy game, really. Will definitely enjoy playing a warrior too though, they look super fun. Their playstyle looks great so far. Aaah, but thieves too. Thieves seem fun. And elementalists. And Guardians. And necromancers. Lol. =S

Deleted
    I would like to make a suggestion to that "character" part.

Can I import my GW1 character to GW2?
    No, but you will be able to reserve character names and transfer some achievements to GW2 through the Hall of Monuments.

Also I don't know if it's important (or true), but character naming system will remain the same as in GW1,
    thus a two-part name is required, Mister Derp or Purple Rooster for example.