The scaling down will be automatic, for the scaling up you have to sidekick with a high lvl player. Leveling will have some meaning because you will unlock your full skillbar (which i guess will happen very quickly) and more areas and dungeons you can visit without being a high lvl players sidekick. But gameplay won't really change between leveling and endgame, you will have your dungeons and dynamic events all the way up. Unlike wow and many other games where leveling and endgame are completely different games.

http://www.arena.net/blog/progressio...n-guild-wars-2

Blog post about leveling in GW2
    It doesnt say what level when the line flattens out but last i remember it was 30

while i honestly don't care about the leveling curve at all, i just wonder if the new skill system won't seem a bit too limited as compared to GW1's.

i mean, all 5 first skills will be linked to our weapon set, and unless i got it wrong, it doesn't look like we'll ever be able to change them unless they release new weapon/offhand types.

i dunno, i may be too much of the nostalgic type but i liked (still do) GW1's skill hunting/build system and i believe it's something they should keep -more- in some way for GW2, knowing my warrior will keep the same 3 first skills because he'll be using an axe or whatever feels... sad somehow.
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2011-08-04 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    while i honestly don't care about the leveling curve at all, i just wonder if the new skill system won't seem a bit too limited as compared to GW1's.

i mean, all 5 first skills will be linked to our weapon set, and unless i got it wrong, it doesn't look like we'll ever be able to change them unless they release new weapon/offhand types.

i dunno, i may be too much of the nostalgic type but i liked (still do) GW1's skill hunting/build system and i believe it's something they should keep -more- in some way for GW2, knowing my warrior will keep the same 3 first skills because he'll be using an axe or whatever feels... sad somehow.
    You have the ability to swap out your current weapons for a second set every 20 seconds. In addition, the Elementalist will have access to the 4 different elements and I'm pretty sure the kits the Engineer has give access to more abilities as well.

10+ Year Old Account

well in the first, you usually used the same sword/axe/hammer skills all the time anyway
    It might look a bit more restricting, but we don't know the full effect of traits yet, i think that's where most of the customisation will be
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

~snip~
    One of the recent interviews talked about this. In a nutshell GW1 gave you the freedom to make really amazing builds and really awful builds. they found people haveing trouble only to discover they took all strange utility skills with no synergy or skills for weapons they did not have equiped. They decided it was better to ensure that everybody would be able to at least be able to attack no mater what weapon they equiped.

Also remember that while the first 5 are tied to your weapons you can mix and match weapons ot get different combinations. Aditionaly while you must have 1 healing spell and 1 eliet spell in the last 5 you can choose from several and you can mix and match the remaining 3 utility skills to your hearts content. Do we really need to have 1 million possible builds with only 100 or so viable builds out of the lot? Thats not really choice its just giveing folks a few flavors of good and a whole lot of ways to fail hardcore.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    One of the recent interviews talked about this. In a nutshell GW1 gave you the freedom to make really amazing builds and really awful builds. they found people haveing trouble only to discover they took all strange utility skills with no synergy or skills for weapons they did not have equiped. They decided it was better to ensure that everybody would be able to at least be able to attack no mater what weapon they equiped.

Also remember that while the first 5 are tied to your weapons you can mix and match weapons ot get different combinations. Aditionaly while you must have 1 healing spell and 1 eliet spell in the last 5 you can choose from several and you can mix and match the remaining 3 utility skills to your hearts content. Do we really need to have 1 million possible builds with only 100 or so viable builds out of the lot? Thats not really choice its just giveing folks a few flavors of good and a whole lot of ways to fail hardcore.
    also,even if you only have a tenth of the customizability of GW1 there are still going to be WAAAAY more options than in any other mainstream MMO out today
    Most MMO's have 1 top build per spec at any time, with at most a few minor talent tweaks.
    GW1 monks, to give an example, had loads of different builds, the ones I can remember from the top of my head are for example:
    Boon prot/WoH-infuse/rc prot/blessed light/zealous benediction and many more

GW1 differs greatly from the usual "rotation spamming" in games like wow/rift. I always found combat less "shallow".

This mostly because of the limit to the amount of skills available at any time.
    At first, this looks like a restriction, but once you play gw1 for a while, it's obvious that this
    opens up a LOT of possibilities. Players are no longer stuck in the min/maxxing routine that wow has, rift
    has, and (i assume) SW:TOR will have.

Instead of 1 build per spec, players can use a large variety of builds, depending on which weapon they use,
    and the skills they selected pre-combat. This is especially fun in pvp, since you will never know what you're up against. Whereas in wow, every fury warrior uses the same build and the same skills.

The 8-skill limit is the biggest reason why GW1 is still my favorite pc game to date
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    The lvling system seems really interesting and could be handled in a good way making the games lvling experience feel new, fresh and awesome. Or in a bad way which kinda screws over the whole experience.

Had another question aswell, for example if you are playing a ranger with a bow your first skill will be like the auto-attack, will this skill be a target spell or will it be a "skill-shot" ?

Deleted
    There is no auto attack in game, everything is player controlled. not sure if this answered your question, skills are either target specific or Ground Target aoe, or point blank aoe/effects

feel free to ask if this doesnt satisfy ur question

Deleted
    Yes it did answer my question, thank you. I was just referring to it was auto attack since i've heard or read somewhere (not sure if its reliable) that you can right click it making if fire on cooldown, like an auto-attack
    Last edited by mmoc99b0822305; 2011-08-04 at 02:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethilliz View Post
    Yes it did answer my question, thank you. I was just referring to it was auto attack since i've heard or read somewhere (not site if its 100% sure) that you can right click it making if fire on cooldown, like an auto-attack
    I think that works for every skill btw
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2011-08-04 at 12:48 PM.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Yes it did answer my question, thank you. I was just referring to it was auto attack since i've heard or read somewhere (not site if its 100% sure) that you can right click it making if fire on cooldown, like an auto-attack
    Yes, you can right click the skills and make then fire on cooldown(its just not perceived as auto-attack like other games where your weapon is doing constant damage), altho im not sure what happens with ground target skills, since there are a lot of them ingame as well, maybe it activates it and you have to fire it, someone who has played demos at conventions will probably know.

10+ Year Old Account
    i really think that for the game's longevity they need to make down-scaling have a level scale. by that i mean they need to have an upper limit, which could be the current down-scaling level which is 3 levels above the content, and then allow you to pick a level from +3 content to -2 content. have it be something you can change by right-clicking on your portrait and have it be something that you can only do out of combat. this would greatly increase the replay-ability of old content as, even if you are level 80, the content can be very challenging. the infrastructure is already in place and i think that this could be a very easy addition to implement.

the leveling curve should start to plateau around level 10 and can anyone tell me where i can find the screenshot in this video at 2:07

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Deleted
    I like the idea, while I'm not one of the guys that would replay stuff, i can see lots of ppl taking good use of it.

facebook page of the guy that made the video, just ask the screenshot from him as he obviously has it

Deleted
    I like the idea aswell it would make the exploring of zones you have yet to visit much more enjoyable. There is one thing i will miss in this game though, and that is world PvP. It will feel strange to me to go questing/exploring without seeing enemy players and even more since there will be no flying-mounts (love that btw)

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea aswell it would make the exploring of zones you have yet to visit much more enjoyable. There is one thing i will miss in this game though, and that is world PvP. It will feel strange to me to go questing/exploring without seeing enemy players and even more since there will be no flying-mounts (love that btw)
    there's WvWvW for that, it will also include dynamic events (think among the lines of supplying turret towers and such) while there will be huge battles in the frontlines. Open world pvp in itself is a hideous gameplay form IMO. 90% of the time it's just people that want to pvp ganking people that don't want to pvp

I love arenanet's standpoint here, keep pvp serepate!
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Adding to that Jv, I love how the use of ranged weapons will immensely help melee classes handle the all out in war in WvWvW.

I loved WoW's AV to death, but charging into a pack in a huge fight, and getting jumped on by 10 ranged was not very manageable

Deleted
    Is the WvWvW going to be like AV? D:

Deleted
    Is the WvWvW going to be like AV? D:
    No its going to be like dark age of camelot, but server wide

here more info http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_PvP