1. #1041
    Stood in the Fire Erathus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maelstrom.
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Sure you can do that with just new content, new races and professions aren't strictly needed.
    i agree that they arent needed but,new content can be boring really fast,plus with new races/profession it will add more depth in the game,and lets not lie its a bit vital to keep the game played by players.at least in my opinion,i may be wrong but...


  2. #1042
    I'd be fine with Mounts in game, if they treated them in a WoW Vanilla manner, and then took that to the extreme. Back in Vanilla, you were lucky if you had your mount at 40. That was a miracle in and of itself. Usually you didn't get one until 48. You didn't see your first epic mount until about 3-5 months after you hit 60.

    I want that to be taken further. While a convenience, only the most battle hardened, respected people earn mounts. Everyone has the ability to, but make it honest to god difficult. Not a money thing, but Paladin quest type of thing. Not gimmicky like the Paladin quest, but difficult.

    Load them with advantages and disadvantages, so that you're making an actual choice whether you want to use your mount, or travel by foot. Your horse is great on the plains, but going up rough terrain, it's slower than if you climbed yourself. Perhaps your mount can carry more supplies than you normally could, so you have to lead it at times with your supplies. Or maybe you're delivering somebody on horseback to a different city.

    There are a myriad of different ways to do this. I completely advocate no mounts if they implemented them WoW style. I was a fan at times of Conan's style, where your mount gained speed the further it traveled uninterrupted. Just make mounts a living, natural extension. The elite have them, not the common adventurer. Make it so you have to care for it. Your mount doesn't magically disappear, you have to stable it, pay rent at that stable. If you don't stop at a stable, tough shit, you have to lead your horse until you get one, or abandon it. Tie it to a tree while you fight. I don't know.

    There's just so much possible shit, I'd hate to see them say "no mounts" just because they don't have the creativity or drive to implement a decent mount system.

    Edit: I'm fine if they want to say "No mounts" as a design decision. Unfortunately, that design decision usually comes with two disadvantages. 1: A small world. (Aion). 2. Immersion breaking Teleportation. There are somewhat clever ways to get around the second, as WoW slowly implemented with Portals over the course of the game. (Vanilla Mages -> BC Quel'Danas Portal -> Dalaran Portals -> SW / Org Portals). Even then though, they break so much immersion for me, I'd almost rather be forced to walk my ass across the place like EQ. Like, in EQ, getting places sometimes was a goddamn epic quest in and of itself, but it at least felt real.
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2011-05-14 at 04:59 PM.

  3. #1043
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,452
    Again WHAT would be the point of mounts?

  4. #1044
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Again WHAT would be the point of mounts?
    By that logic, what's the point of personal stories? Or cosmetic gear? Or titles? Some people like them, and think that they would enhance their gaming experience. They aren't necessary at all, but there are certain people who enjoy the mount aspect a lot.

  5. #1045
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Again WHAT would be the point of mounts?
    Fun gameplay? It's fun to have a mount. Hell. Even Pen and Paper Dungeons and Dragons implemented mounts. Some people just want to feel like a badass knight on a quest. And that's fine. It's good to offer it. People who don't want mounts can continue as normal in a well designed game. (For all the problems Age of Conan had, it's mount system was unique. It had a set of advantages and disadvantages. Many people just did without mounts. Other people rode bulky, cumbersome War Mammoths into battle. Yet others had small, agile horses.)

  6. #1046
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,452
    Cosmetic reasons is a valid point I guess.

    My point was just that as a means of transportation they would be utterly pointless - if you think they would be helpful in any way you don't understand how the GW2 world is set up (it seems some people think it's comparable with other mmos).

  7. #1047
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Cosmetic reasons is a valid point I guess.

    My point was just that as a means of transportation they would be utterly pointless - if you think they would be helpful in any way you don't understand how the GW2 world is set up (it seems some people think it's comparable with other mmos).
    That's my personal point though. I feel they should get rid of teleportation in favor of mounts. I feel in both WoW, Aion, and GW1 that Teleportation is immensely immersion breaking for the sake of convenience. I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me, and that's cool.

  8. #1048
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Anet know how to balance a game without effecting PvP and PvE at the same time, they have a simple system, that Blizzard was dumb enough not to introduce. The changing of skills/skill effects for PvP. Makings balacing easier and makes the game better instead of the crap Blizzard try with WoW.
    see i LOVED that simple system.

  9. #1049
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,452
    Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    That's my personal point though. I feel they should get rid of teleportation in favor of mounts. I feel in both WoW, Aion, and GW1 that Teleportation is immensely immersion breaking for the sake of convenience. I know there are a lot of people who disagree with me, and that's cool.
    Yeah I definitely disagree - I WANT GW2 to be more like GW not more like any other game, which I'm pretty septic about all the hype which is attracting WoW players.

    And again, if mount were in they wouldn't serve any real purpose, it just seems to me like you think they would.

  10. #1050
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    I could have sworn that they do, but I have no source, don't quote me.

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-14 at 01:44 AM ----------

    I wish I didn't find the Charr to be so freakin badass... because I just know they will be the bloodelves of GW2 (not the gay part, but the hordes of bad players part :P). I guess I'll just play one anyway and try to be the minority of good Charr.
    So bad players are drawn to bloodelves? same with DKs? It has nothing to do with the fact that those were released with an expansion that brings in new players or people re level new toons during expansions prior to purchasable race changes.

  11. #1051
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yeah I definitely disagree - I WANT GW2 to be more like GW not more like any other game, which I'm pretty septic about all the hype which is attracting WoW players.

    And again, if mount were in they wouldn't serve any real purpose, it just seems to me like you think they would.
    Not with teleportation, no. They wouldn't serve any purpose. Just bugs me that teleportation isn't introduced elegantly, just a convenience gimmick. (And to justify a discontinuous world, but that's a whole other bag)

    The biggest reason Teleportation bugs me is that it trivializes World Events. GW2 is planning on having dynamic events. In Aion, when a rift popped up, or WoW, when the Horde attacked Southshore, or Conan, when a guild war broke out, there was this sense of reaction time. It took a palpable amount of reactionary effort to rally forces, organize a team, and physically travel to the location. Sometimes, if no one was in the area getting hurt at the time, the aggressors would win, and walk away. Other times, you'd get there in the thick of heat, and contribute to the battle. Other times you'd get there just a second too late. There was this variability.

    With teleportation though, you can be anywhere in less than a few minutes. That's one of the big things that made me hate flying mounts and portals in WoW. There was no reason to leave the SW/Org, because you could get anywhere you wanted so damn easily, and answer threats without any real losses. Responding to the AQ starting events took effort. Sometimes a Rift would trip in Aion and the zone would be crawling with Asmodeans before you could get to it. I can't say the same for Cataclysm events.
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2011-05-14 at 05:22 PM.

  12. #1052
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    Not with teleportation, no. They wouldn't serve any purpose. Just bugs me that teleportation isn't introduced elegantly, just a convenience gimmick. (And to justify a discontinuous world, but that's a whole other bag)

    The biggest reason Teleportation bugs me is that it trivializes World Events. GW2 is planning on having dynamic events. In Aion, when a rift popped up, or WoW, when the Horde attacked Southshore, or Conan, when a guild war broke out, there was this sense of reaction time. It took a palpable amount of reactionary effort to rally forces, organize a team, and physically travel to the location. Sometimes, if no one was in the area getting hurt at the time, the aggressors would win, and walk away. Other times, you'd get there in the thick of heat, and contribute to the battle. Other times you'd get there just a second too late. There was this variability.

    With teleportation though, you can be anywhere in less than a few minutes. That's one of the big things that made me hate flying mounts and portals in WoW. There was no reason to leave the SW/Org, because you could get anywhere you wanted so damn easily, and answer threats without any real losses. Responding to the AQ starting events took effort. Sometimes a Rift would trip in Aion and the zone would be crawling with Asmodeans before you could get to it. I can't say the same for Cataclysm events.
    On the other hand, Imagine missing out on the shatterer event because you were in southern shiverpeaks at that time

  13. #1053
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    On the other hand, Imagine missing out on the shatterer event because you were in southern shiverpeaks at that time
    Indeed. I don't know what the happy medium is. I just know that for me, it isn't Teleportation.

  14. #1054
    I don't think you realise how many waypoints are actually in each area. Theres enough in each so you can't miss out on prime events like that one, so you teleport in near it. If you look at the demo video for the shatterer the guy teleports in bang infront of the event.

  15. #1055
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    They have confirmed that they want to add new races in upcoming expansions, but I'm not sure about professions.
    Oh please god let them add Tengu and Centaur, please oh please oh please!

    But, for the sake of accuracy... Source?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  16. #1056
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    I don't think you realise how many waypoints are actually in each area. Theres enough in each so you can't miss out on prime events like that one, so you teleport in near it. If you look at the demo video for the shatterer the guy teleports in bang infront of the event.
    Erm. Completely not what we're talking about.

  17. #1057
    Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    Erm. Completely not what we're talking about.
    You want mounts instead of the waypoints, I'm stating theres no need for mounts due to the number of waypoints. It would take longer on a mount to get to events you want to do.

  18. #1058
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,452
    I guess it all depends on our backgrounds, I honestly can't say that teleporting affects immersion for me - in theory I can see your point, but when actually playing I always preferred teleporting.

    Like in WoW unless I'm questing in an area I don't use my mount I always use flightmasters if there is just the slightest distance because frankly I think it's completely boring to fly across the continent.

    In a game like AoC at least back when I played transportation was one big bore - it took forever to get somewhere.

  19. #1059
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    You want mounts instead of the waypoints, I'm stating theres no need for mounts due to the number of waypoints. It would take longer on a mount to get to events you want to do.
    Again. Not what we're talking about. My point was that I prefer mounts because of the possibility of missing events, and the tactical nature there of. I dislike the ability to be everywhere instantly. I understand that people feel opposite.

    I would humbly request though, that they make teleportation a little more immersive this time around. Say, instead of just appearing at your location, a 1-3 second splash screen of a traveling caravan or something. Or at the very worst, set up a portal master or something. Anything but the "Map. Click. Bam." method.
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2011-05-14 at 05:51 PM.

  20. #1060
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Oh please god let them add Tengu and Centaur, please oh please oh please!

    But, for the sake of accuracy... Source?
    I'll hunt around for it. Somebody on the GW2 Guru forums quoted it originally, so you might have better luck finding it than I will. Will post it up if I can find it though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •