Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Guardians looks like the class/profession that is closest to be a tank I have ever seen.
    Before I go and make a huge post, please give me your definition of "close" and "tank"

Assuming "close" means "really has several similarities to" and "tank" is being taken more or less in the WoW meaning of the word, lemme try this:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...healing-death/

You could say instead of DPS/heal/tank, we have our own trinity of damage, support, and control, but we prefer to think of them as the variety of elements that create a diverse and dynamic combat system that gives each player a toolbox to work with to solve any encounter we might throw their way.
    Every class will have healing abilities, every class will have ways to control and support, and of course do damage. So, while the Guardian may have strong support abilities, he/she will still be a very long way from tanking (again, assuming by tank you mean the wow sort of tank)

If, on the other hand, by "close" you mean "reminds me a bit of palis in the whole holiness thing with light and stuff" and "tank" you mean "helpful heavy armour wearer who occasionally prevents death", then I completely agree with you - but we may be speaking a language that is not very "close" to English
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    Before I go and make a huge post, please give me your definition of "close" and "tank"

Assuming "close" means "really has several similarities to" and "tank" is being taken more or less in the WoW meaning of the word, lemme try this:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...healing-death/

Every class will have healing abilities, every class will have ways to control and support, and of course do damage. So, while the Guardian may have strong support abilities, he/she will still be a very long way from tanking (again, assuming by tank you mean the wow sort of tank)

If, on the other hand, by "close" you mean "reminds me a bit of palis in the whole holiness thing with light and stuff" and "tank" you mean "helpful heavy armour wearer who occasionally prevents death", then I completely agree with you - but we may be speaking a language that is not very "close" to English
    Raaaaage.
    Sooo, Support = protective + healing spellz, and Control = stuff that helps you take da damage of da creatures?
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

Guardians looks like the class/profession that is closest to be a tank I have ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    You;d think they'd be wouldn't you? too bad that they are (very) roughly comparable to a Holy Pala.
    There are certain skills and abilities that look to be tanking abilities but then I could say the same for just about all of the professions.

About the Holy Paladin comparison, I don't see it. Can I ask why you think so?

If I had to equate the Guardian any other class it would be a protection monk from GW combined with some ritualist.

Classes/Professions picture needs updating!
    It doesn't show the engineer (only the shadowy figure).

In fact, I have a new picture right here!
    If it's just good enough.
    Last edited by Dewote; 2011-05-25 at 02:58 PM.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

Raaaaage.
    Sooo, Support = protective + healing spellz, and Control = stuff that helps you take da damage of da creatures?
    you have the right idea although control also includes things like snares and funneling where the opponent is going (i.e. the Line of Warding skill from the Guardian makes an impassible wall that the enemy will have to go around, you are affecting the battlefield in that way, not necessarily in a traditional tank sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    you have the right idea although control also includes things like snares and funneling where the opponent is going (i.e. the Line of Warding skill from the Guardian makes an impassible wall that the enemy will have to go around, you are affecting the battlefield in that way, not necessarily in a traditional tank sense).
    Sooo, who are supposed to hold the mobs and enemies? The guy with most Toughness and Vitality? The guy who have most health at that point?
    And I couldn't find out how "aggro" works.

Sooo, who are supposed to hold the mobs and enemies? The guy with most Toughness and Vitality? The guy who have most health at that point?
    You are thinking in a traditional tanking mindset, you have to get out of that.

Think more like in a pvp match, then you are getting closer to how battles will be (yes I know, npc mobs aren't as smart as players but there are no threat abilities like in other games, so the battlefield is going to be more chaotic)

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    There are certain skills and abilities that look to be tanking abilities but then I could say the same for just about all of the professions.

About the Holy Paladin comparison, I don't see it. Can I ask why you think so?

If I had to equate the Guardian any other class it would be a protection monk from GW combined with some ritualist.
    I mean more from a lore/aestethics point of turn. Shiny silver armour and wielding power from the gods. A holy warrior :P the actually class seems to borrow heavily from Rt/D/Mo

There is no aggro, stop thinking inside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    There is no aggro, stop thinking inside the box.
    Stop not thinking inside the box. The box give cookies.
    So, lets go into the world were every class is equal and can do all the fuzz. What kind of stats would you go for? Is toughness and vitatlity for melee front-range power, or..

So, lets go into the world were every class is equal and can do all the fuzz. What kind of stats would you go for? Is toughness and vitatlity for melee front-range power, or..
    It really just depends on your play style within your profession. Each profession will have multiple play styles so tailor your build according to that. For example, a ranger can melee just as well as he can be ranged. So if you prefer to melee as a ranger than you might want to consider those stats yes, at least if you are concerned about survivability.

Depends how you build your character ..if you want be more tanky, okey, go for survivability. But again, without agro system, you can't just glue mobs on you.

Vitality increase your health, Toughness will increase your defense, Power your damage, Precision your crit chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Depends how you build your character ..if you want be more tanky, okey, go for survivability. But again, without agro system, you can't just glue mobs on you.

Vitality increase your health, Toughness will increase your defense, Power your damage, Precision your crit chance.
    Increase defense? Like, you take less damage from getting hit?

Think i answered this for you in the GW2 vs SWTOR vs WoW thread but here is a copy and paste of that:

for reference Stats = Attributes in GW2

As you level up in GW2 you earn attributes that you can destribute to Power, Toughness, Vitality, or Precision (an explination can be seen HERE)

So you get to choose which stats you want to build up. To give you an example that might relate, if you made a Ranger (GW2's version of hunter) You can build you Ranger how you see fit, more defensive you'd build toughness and vitality. More offensive would be precision and power, or you can mix however you want... tons of health and tons of crit, go for precision and vitality.

How this works on gear: You aquire gear in your usual methods, bosses, pvp, pve, etc. Now when you aquire a piece of gear that has the attributes you want but say you don't like the look of it or maybe it's a different type of armor than you can use, you can use a transmutation stone to move those attributes to the piece of gear that you would like to use.

Hope this helps

TL;DR - You get to spec your character for what you want to be proficient at. There is no hunters want agility, warriors want strength,.... etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

Increase defense? Like, you take less damage from getting hit?
    Exactly

If you were to do tanking in GW2 I would assume it would be like in the original game, positioning and body-blocking.

But I'm not sure if Arrowstorm is actually wanting to know or he's just trying to provoke a reaction from us.

Keep in mind that those stats aren't final. I believe they already said that they will be reworking them again.

---------- Post added 2011-05-25 at 09:09 AM ----------

If you were to do tanking in GW2 I would assume it would be like in the original game, positioning and body-blocking.
    no body-blocking in this game

Quote Originally Posted by nalvaudi View Post
    Think i answered this for you in the GW2 vs SWTOR vs WoW thread but here is a copy and paste of that:

for reference Stats = Attributes in GW2

As you level up in GW2 you earn attributes that you can destribute to Power, Toughness, Vitality, or Precision (an explination can be seen HERE)

So you get to choose which stats you want to build up. To give you an example that might relate, if you made a Ranger (GW2's version of hunter) You can build you Ranger how you see fit, more defensive you'd build toughness and vitality. More offensive would be precision and power, or you can mix however you want... tons of health and tons of crit, go for precision and vitality.

How this works on gear: You aquire gear in your usual methods, bosses, pvp, pve, etc. Now when you aquire a piece of gear that has the attributes you want but say you don't like the look of it or maybe it's a different type of armor than you can use, you can use a transmutation stone to move those attributes to the piece of gear that you would like to use.

Hope this helps

TL;DR - You get to spec your character for what you want to be proficient at. There is no hunters want agility, warriors want strength,.... etc
    Well, I was more looking for what stats did exatly

Check out the wiki page he linked for you, it pretty much explains what each stat does.

But I'm not sure if Arrowstorm is actually wanting to know or he's just trying to provoke a reaction from us.
    You make me sad, Im just trying to gather information about a game before I dare set my foot in the beta (whenever that comes).