10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by summourn View Post
    Does it also offer multiple areas to quest in at higher levels, like WoW has?
    Yup. Every single zone is for higher-level questing, thanks to downscaling.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna lie but atm I seem to be getting less and less interested in the game.
    It just doesn't seem as amazing to me as when it was first announced. Probably the biggest issue I currently have with the game is the rampant fan boyism i see on other forums and such. I've never seen a game that hasn't come out yet generate such a following of people.

My current plan for the game is to leave it for a month or two then see what state it's in and when the price has dropped. MMO's are very hit or miss and I'd prefer not to waste forty odd quid on a game that's only going to die after a couple months.

This aside, even if I don't wind up playing it I truly hope it goes well as Blizzard need a kick up the arse as of late while MoP looks to be hopefully showing this.

^

Why not judge a game on its own merits rather than using other peoples hype against it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Not gonna lie but atm I seem to be getting less and less interested in the game.
    It just doesn't seem as amazing to me as when it was first announced. Probably the biggest issue I currently have with the game is the rampant fan boyism i see on other forums and such. I've never seen a game that hasn't come out yet generate such a following of people.

My current plan for the game is to leave it for a month or two then see what state it's in and when the price has dropped. MMO's are very hit or miss and I'd prefer not to waste forty odd quid on a game that's only going to die after a couple months.

This aside, even if I don't wind up playing it I truly hope it goes well as Blizzard need a kick up the arse as of late while MoP looks to be hopefully showing this.
    I'm not going to say this in an offensive or agressive manner but if I didn't play games because of the rampant fanboyism attached... I'd probably NEVER ever ever play any games. =)

I can understand wanting to wait some time. I'm sad that some of the community put you off, I hope that eventually you come back and you see a lot of nice people around.
    At the moment I can agree that a lot of people - that in my opinion seem to be people who didn't play this game - are a bit... over-sensitive about it, but I personally expect the barriers such as difficulty, and difference in this game to... uhm make them less interested really fast.

I don't think GW2 is just going to suddenly die, as it's being discussed in many threads, as unlike common ideas, mmo's don't magically evaporate, and this one - like others - seems to have a kind of active and interested community that I think won't just... vanish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not playing a game "because of the fanboyism attached" is like not following a sports team because its fans are too passionate.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-05-07 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen a game that hasn't come out yet generate such a following of people.
    Why should that decide whether or not you want a game?

Consider this: MoP has more rampant fanboyism than GW2 does. There are literally millions of people who will sub to MoP just because it's WoW. (my personal guess is that more than 10 million will get MoP, including some of the 2 million that quit WoW, until it stabilizes with people losing interest after the first few months, and yet nobody will blame Blizzard for disappointments the way they blame Bioware)

Instead, you should play a game because you want to play it. Just as I plan to raid T14 and still play GW2 when I have no raiding to do.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-07 at 05:50 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess the people who won't play a game because of fanboys won't ever play a popular video game ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Guess the people who won't play a game because of fanboys won't ever play a popular video game ever again.
    Indie all of the way. But not those mainstream indie games like Minecraft. I only play.. uhh.. Drug Wars and Rhythm Zone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Indie all of the way. But not those mainstream indie games like Minecraft. I only play.. uhh.. Drug Wars and Rhythm Zone.
    I'm so indie I play games that haven't been developed yet sort of attitude? :P
    I think it's kind of a double edged sword.

Oh well.
    Is anyone else suffering from a lack of news/info/beta at the moment? I like it that they keep linking articles about the beta on twitter and facebook but... I've played it, I know what it is I just want more game infooooo! *sigh*

Deleted
    Probably the biggest issue I currently have with the game is the rampant fan boyism i see on other forums and such.
    I know you probably don't need reminding, but remember that the folk who hang out on forums make up only a small percentage of the total playerbase.

It's kinda like not going to a football match because there's a single person in the crowd you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Not playing a game "because of the fanboyism attached" is like not following a sports team because it's fans are too passionate.
    Mif wins again.

In all seriousness, not playing a game because of it's hype is pretty stupid.. Every WoW expansion looked like it was better than what they gave us previously, but it all turned out to be the same crap in a different package. I don't think Blizzard will ever manage to get WoW right, when they try they only screw up more.

GW2 won't 'die' in a couple of months, simply because it's all new and refreshing compared to all of the same MMO's coming out these years.

Btw if people on the internet scare you off cause they are hyped up or just in general a shitty community, you may want to stick to single player games. Unfortunately, all games have rotten apples in the community...
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    GW2 won't 'die' in a couple of months, simply because it's all new and refreshing compared to all of the same MMO's coming out these years.
    Depends on your definition of mmo 'death'. There are people who honestly believe that if WoW is still running a couple months later, the MMO that came out failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your definition of mmo 'death'. There are people who honestly believe that if WoW is still running a couple months later, the MMO that came out failed.
    Personally, my definition of a "Dead MMO" is an MMO with no servers on to run it. If that's the case that usually means it's no longer being profitable and is the purest form of a failure. Oddly enough I can't think of any of the top of my head other that Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, but it's still being played on private servers so I can't really call it dead.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Personally, my definition of a "Dead MMO" is an MMO with no servers on to run it. If that's the case that usually means it's no longer being profitable and is the purest form of a failure. Oddly enough I can't think of any of the top of my head other that Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, but it's still being played on private servers so I can't really call it dead.
    Tabula Rasa?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I know you probably don't need reminding, but remember that the folk who hang out on forums make up only a small percentage of the total playerbase.
    I fully appreciate it's not a majority.
    But I've seen this more prevalent in this game than any recent MMO.

The problem I have with is not with the people necessarily as they are not a majority. It's that things about the game can be greatly hyped up and distorted and due to the fact GW2 has a lot more of this than usual it's hard to get the facts about the game right most of the time. The only way to get an honest opinion on the game is to either play it yourself (not gonna preorder the game just to play a beta like a demo) or wait until after launch when they hype had died down.

My point is that I'd rather wait for a review that had hindsight on the game rather than legions of fan boys to the game hyping it up to be the greatest thing this world has ever seen. That's not to say it doesn't look good, but I want to know if it's worth the time and money to buy it upon release and level a character. It's my fault for buying it, but the same thing happened when I decided to try swtor to see if I could play that along with WoW, needless to say I regret spending the £40. I have no intention on repeating that mistake.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2012-05-07 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tabula Rasa?
    Not familiar with the Ultima games or any other games by it's developer, erm, "Lord British" and I only really know about it by The Spoony One on channel awesome.

Never even seen Tabula Rasa.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I fully appreciate it's not a majority.
    But I've seen this more prevalent in this game than any recent MMO.

The problem I have with is not with the people necessarily as they are not a majority. It's that things about the game can be greatly hyped up and distorted and due to the fact GW2 has a lot more of this than usual it's hard to get the facts about the game right most of the time. The only way to get an honest opinion on the game is to either play it yourself (not gonna preorder the game just to play a beta like a demo) or wait until after launch when they hype had died down.

My point is that I'd rather wait for a review that had hindsight on the game rather than legions of fan boys to the game hyping it up to be the greatest thing this world has ever seen. That's not to say it doesn't look good, but I want to know if it's worth the time and money to buy it upon release and level a character. It's my fault for buying it, but the same thing happened when I decided to try swtor to see if I could play that along with WoW, needless to say I regret spending the £40. I have no intention on repeating that mistake.
    I would argue it's much less prevalent in this game than others. Those of us who actually follow GW2 know what GW2 is, what it's about, what it's design is. If we go back ~9 months to PAX, where GW2 and another game were on display, GW2 gave the con-attendees a hands-on experience, while said other game gave attendees a video and no hands-on experience.

On these forums, even, there are those of us who know what GW2 is all about, and yet when people try to attack the game without even knowing a thing about the game (mis-or un-informed), and we try to correct their misgivings, we're attacked as rabid fanboys. I'm not saying there are no people overhyping and spreading misinformation about GW2, but if you actually look there's plenty of correct information. Hell, if you don't want to listen to the fans, just read the arena.net/blog, they have been incredibly open with the development and there is not a thing they promise that isn't true in-game. True, if you go back far enough you'll find their original intents, but intents != promises.

My point is it'd be better to have an open mind about something than to cover your ears and close your eyes and shout, "No, I won't play because X says it's the bestest game ever and I don't believe them!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    there are those of us who know what GW2 is all about, and yet when people try to attack the game without even knowing a thing about the game (mis-or un-informed), and we try to correct their misgivings, we're attacked as rabid fanboys.
    This gets so very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    QFT

Honestly nowadays I don't even bother correcting people anymore. If anything I just direct them to a FAQ or mass info page.

I've never seen a game that hasn't come out yet generate such a following of people.
    wat. I don't think we're looking at the same interweb.

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    I don't think Blizzard will ever manage to get WoW right
    I couldn't come up with a comment witty enough to match the level of [enter assorted expletives here] of that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Not familiar with the Ultima games or any other games by it's developer, erm, "Lord British" and I only really know about it by The Spoony One on channel awesome.

Never even seen Tabula Rasa.
    Haha Lord British, didn't that guy go nuts and buy a castle or something to RP his character IRL? I might be pulling that out of my ass I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Agreed, but IMO listening to the (to be fair, a very small) handful of people who have now moved on to declaring GW2 the WoW killer is just as frustrating, while the majority of fans of the game desperately try to dispel that notion.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-05-07 at 06:38 PM.