Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Because they will have hindsight and will have played the the entirety of the game. Besides I'll be saving money by that point. I will actually be happy if it's a great game and I'm blissfully proven wrong because it will be the first MMO to come out that actually is great and will challenge WoW. Until then I will wait. I'd rather save myself £10 than wind up rushing into another MMO.
    Why does it need to compete with WoW. Why can't they both succeed and live together next to one another. Further more, how do you determine if it's actually competing with WoW or doing worse or better? It has no subscription mode, you can't use active subscriptions as having bought the box and having an account means you have a "subscription" in GW2. Will you gauge the success of the game solely by word of mouth? You say because they will have hindsight and will have played the entirety of the game. What if they didn't play the entirety of the game before they say it sucked and quit? Does that make their opinion less meaningful? Or will you still use them as an example as to why the game is a "failure?"

In the end, who cares if it challenges WoW or competes with it in any way. If it's a great game it doesn't matter if it does so.
    Last edited by Bluedragonwolf; 2012-05-07 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    New blog post with a roundup of the BWE coverage

http://www.arena.net/blog/link-round...-weekend-event

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedragonwolf View Post
    Why does it need to compete with WoW. Why can't they both succeed and live together next to one another.
    Competition isn't always to the death. A certain American Dad sketch comes to mind...

They can both easily succeed and live together, while simultaneously compete for the spot of reigning MMO champion. Fun fact: CEO of ArenaNet claims their goal is to beat WoW. It's written in virtual ink over at Forbes.com, WEEKS ago.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

This 16 second video pretty much encapsulates gamers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    I know it's a link round up but every time they post something it's always screen shots or information we have known for a week. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful because they are making an awesome game but they haven't shown anything new in along time( and yes i'v seen the art picture on facebook released).

At this point i'd take a picture of a glitched sylvari as something new.
    That's pretty much just the way ANet works. After the last press beta, they basically went quiet for a few weeks while they proceeded to work on the game.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    New blog post with a roundup of the BWE coverage

http://www.arena.net/blog/link-round...-weekend-event
    I like how the blog refers to the BWE as an "old-school beta", as in an actual test and not a marketing ploy (even though it probably served both purposes).
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I like how the blog refers to the BWE as an "old-school beta", as in an actual test and not a marketing ploy (even though it probably served both purposes).
    But is it just a marketing ploy to claim that it's not a marketing ploy? /gasp

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Is that like an Inception type thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Is that like an Inception type thing?
    You mean ployception?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, we can't trust any of these bloody greedy devs. They just want your money! All your money!
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Hmm, Ripley an engineer?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, we can't trust any of these bloody greedy devs. They just want your money! All your money!
    And they mostly come at night.

Mostly.

10+ Year Old Account
    And they mostly come at night.

Mostly.
    Just in case someone takes my sarcasm and turns it against me, look at this video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just in case someone takes my sarcasm and turns it against me, look at this video.
    Never saw that before. I wonder if that could be applied to raiding...

10+ Year Old Account
    Never saw that before. I wonder if that could be applied to raiding...
    It can be applied to a lot of things, not just MMOs and business I feel. I find it amusing that the video also uses the ''carrot on a stick'' analogy so often used here in the forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Carrot on a stick is a very old term that's been used for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Carrot on a stick is a very old term that's been used for a long time.
    I know, but it's used to describe skinner box more than anything now a days.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can be applied to a lot of things, not just MMOs and business I feel. I find it amusing that the video also uses the ''carrot on a stick'' analogy so often used here in the forums.
    I was mostly being ironic (rhetorical?), hence the italicization. But what I was driving at is that the video, to me, made sense as to what's been happening with the popularity of WoW lately.

WoW raiding kinda puts people on rails, after all, and it's always been primarily about the gear rewards over any mastery over the gameplay (hence why content keeps getting nerfed again and again to make content more accessible).

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW raiding kinda puts people on rails, after all, and it's always been primarily about the gear rewards over any mastery over the gameplay (hence why content keeps getting nerfed again and again to make content more accessible).
    And it's why I don't raid anymore after I've beaten it. No self mastery, only gear rewards. Perhaps as a dps you can argue that you feel purpose by playing the meters and trying to beat each other and mastery because of that, but as a tank myself? Gear was my only motivation and it wasn't a good one, hence the reason I quit. It wasn't like I could dps, no other tanks and I liked tanking, so there goes autonomy. At least purpose was fulfilled for me; leading a raid guild, I had a purpose to lead.

10+ Year Old Account
    And it's why I don't raid anymore after I've beaten it. No self mastery, only gear rewards. Perhaps as a dps you can argue that you feel purpose by playing the meters and trying to beat each other and mastery because of that, but as a tank myself? Gear was my only motivation and it wasn't a good one, hence the reason I quit. It wasn't like I could dps, no other tanks and I liked tanking, so there goes autonomy. At least purpose was fulfilled for me; leading a raid guild, I had a purpose to lead.
    Kinda the same thing for me, though even as a DPS in a progression-minded raiding guild, you don't really care about the meters. Well, most don't. To me meters and logs were really just about analyzing what went wrong and where.
    It got to the point where I felt like I had mastered all I could master, and playing at the peak of my performance, and most wipes were caused by other people who hadn't even come close to mastery. I tried re-rolling Rogue in T13 partially because it brought some of that feeling of mastering something new back, but once I became familiar with the rotation it really was just... more of the same, in my eyes.

I didn't stick around beyond 1/8 HMs in T13, despite being next-in-line for the legendary daggers, because what I was seeing on attempts on Yor'sahj, Hagara, and Zon'ozz (all Heroic obviously) was the exact same shit I'd put up with back in T11 and T12, and didn't feel up to the frustration.

The realization that all my hard work progressing through bosses this expansion would mean jack shit next expansion (nobody cares anymore how far you went in T10, after all), suddenly made me feel like there was no point in trying to down all the HMs this tier.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-08 at 12:12 AM.