Deleted
    Yay! Just got to 1000 achievement points (lvl 53 now). Not a big fan of the skins you get, but still happy with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    ~SNIP~
    don't know why i bother reading you posts anymore. who cares if it's the most optimal, fastest, most w/e? people play games to have fun. if you don't like someone's gear or build don't play with them, you are by no means tethered and forced to play with people with suboptimal builds or gear. if people believe that what they are using is best for how they like to play who are you to tell them otherwise? you always say shit as though you are the authority, so many people in this game just want to mess around and have a bit of fun.

i am a min-maxer, i theorycraft and try to come up with optimal ways to play my profession, but i do not for a second expect random people to do the same. and EJ was ok for people who did not want to or feel like theorycrafting and the mechanics in WoW are completely different than those in GW2 so yeah, the comparison is rather silly. and the one thing you forget the most is that just because a build may be good on paper, if the person cannot play that build more effectively than they one they prefer, then you have just made the situation worse.

the difference between GW2 and WoW for me, is that in WoW i HAD to play a certain way to be effective, in GW2 at least i have a few choices. people are arguing over seconds mere seconds that are added by using a different build and it makes me laugh, like "mehmehmeh, i did CoF path 1 in 4 mins and you only did it in 5", so hilarious.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I have yet to play a mmog that requires a serious amount of thinking. The level of almost all of it is, move out of the bad stuff, hit the correct target, have the "correct" ability rotation. All of that plus gear is 95% of encounters in almost every online game. At least for PVE it is.
    What you are describing is not actually the "thinking" part. It's the doing part.

Which I agree, the doing part in MMOs is typically easy to understand. Not execute- or we'd see a lot of differences from the genre as it is in reality. Theorycrafting is the thinking part, typically.

I understand that you purport to be a fps player and a user that views video games as entertainment primarily. However, I reiterate again that thinking/doing are two separate things and one is no more valid than the other.

To theorize is to think. Inherently.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    ~~SNIP~~
    don't know why i bother reading you posts anymore.

You're just posting one big "debunking" post that adresses an issue I'm not having to deal with at all.

People seem to want to "optimise" but only do it half-assed (which doesn't fcking work).
    who cares if it's the most optimal, fastest, most w/e? if you don't like someone's gear or build don't play with them, you are by no means tethered and forced to play with people with suboptimal builds or gear. if people believe that what they are using is best for how they like to play who are you to tell them otherwise?
    I'm pointing out that people want to optimise (stacking classes/requiring certain gear/requiring certain skills/...) yet those same people often are running un-optimised builds. Optimisation doesn't go "half-way" you can't buy a special aluminium car-kit to reduce the weight of your car and then put a cast iron bumper on it...

Further more those people are already "telling other people how to play" so I can toss your stupid remark back in your face + why can they require others to run different gear/armor but I can't in return ask them to run a certain build? "Look man if you wanna drive in my car with me you're gonna need to wear a helmet" "Sure thing buddy but I sugest buckling up too".

and the one thing you forget the most is that just because a build may be good on paper, if the person cannot play that build more effectively than they one they prefer, then you have just made the situation worse.
    Ty for this response, it's ironic. You want to "counter" a point of mine which I already pointed out as a silly remark (point 2. of my post)

the difference between GW2 and WoW for me, is that in WoW i HAD to play a certain way to be effective, in GW2 at least i have a few choices.
    Bullshit. You can clear all content in wow running bad enchants/gems/traits and your "team" will carry you (I've seen many noobs get server firsts, a rogue with stamina enchants was the best)

I already said this with my GW uw/fow example. People optimise due to time-restraints add to this gated content and some people care all of a sudden. Nothing gameplay wise forces you to check EJ for your rotation and what not.

You're confusing effective with efficient (which I also already addressed)

people are arguing over seconds mere seconds that are added by using a different build and it makes me laugh, like "mehmehmeh, i did CoF path 1 in 4 mins and you only did it in 5", so hilarious.
    It should be clear that when people want to do SPEED clears the identifying factor is SPEED so yes, that extra minute matters. If time doesn't matter don't join a SPEED clear...

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    who cares if it's the most optimal, fastest, most w/e? people play games to have fun. if you don't like someone's gear or build don't play with them, you are by no means tethered and forced to play with people with suboptimal builds or gear.
    The thing is, Meledelion is perfectly honest in being that "elitest jerk" epitome, but he doesn't force it on anyone if you'll notice. Yeah, he's abrasive with his "this is the right way" attitude, but it's specifically directed to the argument at hand. He doesn't come into a discussion about events and say you're wrong for playing a guardian. He comes into a discussion about maximising damage and criticises the results. If you speak of dungeon difficulty, he'll detail how he solo'd it, but he doesn't say you're bad for playing it differently.

I'm by no means the "high speed/ low drag" type, so I don't bother engaging that discussion. But I mean, the discussion WAS about Elitest Jerks and how they operate with GW2...

Ty for that Svifnymr, I apreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ~SNIP~
    ok, i skimmed through the post and was under the impression that you were advocating for people who are the elitist jerks of GW2, my bad on that part. this is probably the only time i can say that i agree with you when it comes to GW2, hence why i thought your stance was already a foregone conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    ~SNIP~
    yeah, skimmed through his post as we don't agree on anything GW2 related much, except for maybe this, haha.

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

Is there any good way to farm kite fortunes? I'm having incredibly bad luck getting them. Kite baskets almost never have any. I gambled on some loot bags and came up empty there. Mobs are more interested in dropping support tokens. I kind of wanted to get the wind helm, but I am way short on scraps.

Best way I've heard is in WvW, you get them from the Heavy Loot Bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Is there any good way to farm kite fortunes? I'm having incredibly bad luck getting them. Kite baskets almost never have any. I gambled on some loot bags and came up empty there. Mobs are more interested in dropping support tokens. I kind of wanted to get the wind helm, but I am way short on scraps.
    Seems just random mob drops, no way to predict. I did get one once that had 50 tickets though, so it's all about luck.

I never found any in the baskets that I recall, just mob drops. The supply boxes had a poor drop rate of anything but recipes.

I do have a few I haven't opened just in case the karma buff stacks with other boosts, so hopefully I'll get lucky there (on both points :P).

WvW is... not happening right now. We've been getting decimated since reset. ;_;

I just farmed them by doing events with a lot of mobs. The best farming spot I've found is doing the Ulgoth chain in Harathi Hinterlands. It starts at the Northpasture Camp point of interest with a 5 minute wave of centaurs attacking the camp. When that is done you get to go with Captain Edwards to do the Ulgoth meta event chain. You'll get a lot of drops from all the centaurs you kill in that entire chain. All I do is AOE them down with my shortbow. I've found that around every 10th kite fortune drop has one that gives you 50 fortune scraps. It didn't take a terribly long time to get 250 of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I have the same 'problem'. I need only 30 more for 150 scraps to get this back item. However I'm afraid I'm short on only a few when the new patch comes in.
    So far I've noticed the best way is from mobs, heavy loot bags and wvw. Unfortunately it won't drop from Orr and I have no clue where else I can find heavy loot bags honestly :')
    Edit; oh wait the moldy are from Orr, I mixed up :')
    Last edited by mmocd7e9667945; 2013-08-04 at 11:38 PM.

Deleted
    I just bought 100 or so Heavy Loot Bags from the TP myself. Got all the fortunes I needed from them and made most of my gold back from selling the mats from the bags. A friend of mine got a lodestone from one of his bags while doing the same and actually made a profit lol.

Deleted
    Run in wvws for a while.
    I`ve had enough of those darned things that I`ve four back pieces & looted one ticket.
    Also looted far too many of those irritating vote thingies.

Everyone complains about the support tokens. They are the biggest let down every time a wooden chest appears. Not to mention that I suspect they're interfering with the kite fortune drop rate as well. They should have at least had the rep tokens give some sort of buff, they're worthless.

I bought about 20 loot bags and got one kite fortune and a bunch of stuff like silk and leather scraps that were a HUGE loss over what I paid for the bags. I usually have awful luck with RNG so I wasn't really surprised. This is why I hate 'gambling'.

Deleted
    Sounds like I'll be doing a lot of WvW tomorrow. Thanks for the advice btw. I'll keep you guys updated.

@Lane: I also think it interferes with the drop rate. Ever since those tokens were around I feel like I've gotten 50% less of those kites.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Colin Johanson interview, a good read through (nothing about pvp though)

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/coli...ons-and-chairs
    What a bunch of fluff.
    Basically, "just wait for it - it'll be good".
    Okay, sure it will.

I do not want an EJ mentality in GW2. I think the few elitist mentalities that have stepped into the game are a complete joke. You're shaving minutes off a dungeon run that is one of the easiest in game. Until the PVE community stops a) skipping mobs and content b) basing everything around select speedruns instead of the overall game c) stop avoiding challenge at all costs and d) EXPLOITING to avoid mechanics, then I don't want to hear a peep from the PVE community.

Honestly, it's equivalent to the sPvP community basing their meta around heartseeker spam thieves in hotjoin. The PVE theorizing should be about improving individual skill, knowing how to adapt to each situation, and just knowing your class well overall. It shouldn't be about some build carrying you through mindless challenges. The EQN reveal has further frustrated me with MMO pve players. Reading EQN reactions around the web, it seems pretty obvious that a good portion of those that touched GW2 need to learn how to play. It seems a good portion of the community has been used to cookie cutter and roles carrying them through everything.

I hope to see COF1 less rewarded, and encounters that further punish stacking. I want to see the PVE community to better use terrain for combat tactics rather than for exploit tactics.
    Last edited by zed zebes; 2013-08-05 at 03:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sousoulsu View Post
    What a bunch of fluff.
    Basically, "just wait for it - it'll be good".
    Okay, sure it will.
    haha, not at all really, two of the big things mentioned are already coming out on Tuesday; Solo Q for tPvP with it's own leaderboard and Champion mob loot bags with unique loot based on the mob type. there is some other qol stuff like the account wallet making its debut as well. there is little in as far as actual features that ANet fluff on, how well received they are when shipped is anyone's guess though, but so far i am happy with the direction the game is heading in.