Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Nintendo Project Cafe Confirmed

Just Days after my thread talking about the rumors of the new Nintendo, they have come out and confirmed the console exist. No further details have been added.

Nintendo Japan tonight confirmed it will release a new game console in calendar year 2012. It will be announced and playable at E3 this coming June.

"We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles," the company said in a brief statement.

Nintendo said the Wii console to date has sold over 86 million units worldwide since launch in 2006.

Original Thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post11199355
    Last edited by Ezzme; 2011-04-25 at 07:41 AM.

Well, 5 years, is solid. Thank you Nintendo for not making a new one right away like you do with DSs

"Sorry guys- it's hotkeyed onto my mouse..."

'cafe' huh...ohh i wonder what itll be like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Nintendo will be in the lead for a while because Sony and Microsoft aren't making their new consoles until 2014. I doubt the hardware will jump as much as it did from Xbox/PS2 to Xbox 360/PS3 either

I'm also hearing that GTA 5 will be a Nintendo launch title haha.

---------- Post added 2011-04-25 at 10:42 AM ----------

This might be the new controller, but it isn't confirmed yet.

Looks very retro but it looks very uncomfortable to hold. It all depends on the size of it I guess.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-04-25 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Nintendo will be in the lead for a while because Sony and Microsoft aren't making their new consoles until 2014. I doubt the hardware will jump as much as it did from Xbox/PS2 to Xbox 360/PS3 either

---------- Post added 2011-04-25 at 10:42 AM ----------

This might be the new controller, but it isn't confirmed yet.

Looks very retro but it looks very uncomfortable to hold. It all depends on the size of it I guess.
    Yup 2013-2014 is expected for the next hardware.

Like I have been telling others, the hardware right now is ahead of the software, games can't look good enough to take advantage of the newest graphics cards yet. So the next consoles will have to find a different area to try and push towards. I say it will be online for the next sony and MS consoles, Nintendo is obviously going for the screen on the controller to be different. Also that controller looks nice and all but there is a photo roaming around with the console and controller on it that is expected to be real. The controller looks more like a 360 controller with a screen on it which is great for me as I love the 360 controller.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Don't know where you heard that, but if it proves to be true, it'll sure as shit make my week.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Don't know where you heard that, but if it proves to be true, it'll sure as shit make my week.
    It wouldn't be out of left field either, as Rockstar has been teasing about it and have been complaining about consoles restricting their games, this might be their way of grabbing the hardcore (Nintendo that is)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzme View Post
    Just Days after my thread talking about the rumors of the new Nintendo, they have come out and confirmed the console exist. No further details have been added.

Nintendo Japan tonight confirmed it will release a new game console in calendar year 2012. It will be announced and playable at E3 this coming June.

"We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles," the company said in a brief statement.

Nintendo said the Wii console to date has sold over 86 million units worldwide since launch in 2006.

Original Thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post11199355
    Actually they said what Sony said with regards to 'sales'. They have shipped to shops 86 million, not sold 86 million. Also they are having to release a console because for the 2nd year in a row their profits have dropped.

And it's not hard to have better tech than the 360 and PS3, as the 360 and PS3 parts are rubbish (compared to todays parts).
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2011-04-25 at 01:39 PM.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Judging by the name I'm banking on a table, and some coffee. Wii style!

10+ Year Old Account
    Now all Nintendo needs is some new IP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Strange, I remember reading an article a few years back saying this generation of consoles would be the longest lasting, and would prolly stretch into 2015 o.O

Don't remember who was being quoted for it though, I think it was a sony or Microsoft person though.

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    Strange, I remember reading an article a few years back saying this generation of consoles would be the longest lasting, and would prolly stretch into 2015 o.O

Don't remember who was being quoted for it though, I think it was a sony or Microsoft person though.
    And they would be right, assuming it was from somebody who believes (and could arguably be correct) that the Wii should not be counted among the 'current generation' consoles. There's an interesting article on Kotaku about how the concept of 'generations' for consoles may be something to leave behind, as Developers no longer really release their consoles all at the same time anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone figure out how an on-controller screen is useful for a console game yet? the only thing I can think of would be taking advantage of the current trend (one that Nintendo knows all too well and pioneered even..) the Touch-Screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    Actually they said what Sony said with regards to 'sales'. They have shipped to shops 86 million, not sold 86 million. Also they are having to release a console because for the 2nd year in a row their profits have dropped.

And it's not hard to have better tech than the 360 and PS3, as the 360 and PS3 parts are rubbish.
    While hardly a hard number, VGChartz.com agrees with Nintendo on the sales figures. The only reason their sales have dropped is because the flow of their first-party titles has tapered off considerably. So they hardly *need* to release a new console. The fact that they still hugely outsold their competition last year with very few new titles to entice consumers should be an indication that Nintendo is still in the driver's seat right now. Personally, I think this new console is an attempt to step on the throats of Microsoft and Sony. And I say more power to them. I'm sick of PC-lite consoles that take perfectly good PC games and make them subpar because dual-analog controls are poor substitutes for a mouse and keyboard.

I like Nintendo as a console company because they know exactly what a console is and what it should do. I don't play my Wii all that often, but when I do, I know that what I play will be something I cannot get on my PC. The same cannot be said of my 360. I mean, I get it, "PC gaming for the masses," but with gaming PCs getting cheaper and cheaper, is that really necessary anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Anyone figure out how an on-controller screen is useful for a console game yet? the only thing I can think of would be taking advantage of the current trend (one that Nintendo knows all too well and pioneered even..) the Touch-Screen.
    Well, if the rumors hold true, streaming games from the console onto the screen would be great for multiplayer. Back in the day, Nintendo had this idea of using Game Boys as controllers for certain Gamecube games, where each player would use the screen to watch the movement of their characters, while the TV showed an overview of the action. Only a couple of games got released for it, but I know Nintendo loved the concept. Not to mention it would also work as an ultra-advanced version of the Dreamcast VMU, where players would look at their stats and even be able to access menus without pausing, thus getting a whole lot of clutter off the screen. There's a lot of uses really, the question just becomes whether it's worth making a ginormous controller to do those things.
    Last edited by Nekosom; 2011-04-25 at 02:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if the rumors hold true, streaming games from the console onto the screen would be great for multiplayer. Back in the day, Nintendo had this idea of using Game Boys as controllers for certain Gamecube games, where each player would use the screen to watch the movement of their characters, while the TV showed an overview of the action. Only a couple of games got released for it, but I know Nintendo loved the concept. Not to mention it would also work as an ultra-advanced version of the Dreamcast VMU, where players would look at their stats and even be able to access menus without pausing, thus getting a whole lot of clutter off the screen. There's a lot of uses really, the question just becomes whether it's worth making a ginormous controller to do those things.
    IIRC, the Pokemon games were some of those games that could be used with the gamecube. yes, actually, now that i think back, they were. i remeber the GBA cords u had to use to plug into the gamecube and u could battle in the Stadium with ur friends. they also had an add-on on the bottom of the system that allowed u to plug ur GBA games into and play it at around 3x speed on the GC. ahhh, the good ol days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post

And it's not hard to have better tech than the 360 and PS3, as the 360 and PS3 parts are rubbish (compared to todays parts).
    I just quoted what the post said, but yes I know what you mean and how companies try to trick us into thinking that shipped is sold.

Impressive, but will it make coffee?

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    It could be useful for playing a local multiplayer game where you don't want other players to see your stats. It could also be used to divert most of the HUD in a game with a lot of UI. I'm not sure if players would like looking back and forth from their controllers to the screen, though.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    It could be useful for playing a local multiplayer game where you don't want other players to see your stats. It could also be used to divert most of the HUD in a game with a lot of UI. I'm not sure if players would like looking back and forth from their controllers to the screen, though.
    People are missing the biggest implementation.

Imagine sitting in the living room and having to go to dinner, the bathroom, really just anything that would stop your play. Now with this controller screen you press a simple button and are able to simply stream the game straight to the controller and continue your play without having to be at the console.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those little circles above the D-pad and ABXY... are those speakers?

Because, if they are, that means the thing lacks thumbsticks, which would mean that thing CAN'T possibly be the controller.