So, Is it true...

that affliction is the highest dps spec in 4.1? Because to me it seems like they're getting not that much of a buff to get higher dps then Destruction. Still, I haven't played on PTR nor run Simcrafts so I need some info here please

Also as it seems now I'm raid Haste capped ( with beneficial buffs like Mind Quickening and other haste buffs) so what do I do now. Keep stacking it or put it into crit?

Thanks for your time

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ichiz/advanced

Affdrain is hard to play, for most locks it will mean a decrease in dps.
    ||<>||<>|| Zvix - What Went Wrong - Talnivarr Eu||<>||<>||
    ||<>||<>|| Warlock Boss Movies -10m --> Nefarian, Al´Akir, Cho'gall and others!||<>||<>||
    ||<>||<>|| http://www.youtube.com/user/zvix01 ||<>||<>|| www.talnivarr.com ||<>||<>||

Quote Originally Posted by zvix View Post
    Affdrain is hard to play, for most locks it will mean a decrease in dps.
    Its not that hard, just takes some getting used to. And even Aff Bolt is showing higher theory than destro, and Aff bolt is not particularly hard (on single target its pretty faceroll even)

Quote Originally Posted by Lichiz View Post
    that affliction is the highest dps spec in 4.1? Because to me it seems like they're getting not that much of a buff to get higher dps then Destruction. Still, I haven't played on PTR nor run Simcrafts so I need some info here please
    Its getting a huge buff to the felhunter, and a straight 5% damage increase to shadow damage (read as "everything") I don't see how you can not see that as a major buff...
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-04-26 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichiz View Post
    Also as it seems now I'm raid Haste capped ( with beneficial buffs like Mind Quickening and other haste buffs) so what do I do now. Keep stacking it or put it into crit?

Thanks for your time

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ichiz/advanced
    dont think its possible (just yet) to be haste capped but If someone would know once u reach your 30% threshold, do you stop completely and gain more of the other 2 secondary stats which applies more to your personal sims.
    thxs

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    Its getting a huge buff to the felhunter, and a straight 5% damage increase to shadow damage (read as "everything") I don't see how you can not see that as a major buff...
    yep, buff is major no question.

as for destro viability - don't worry as it didn't get nerfed in any way shape or form so it's still nice.

hmmm, ok. Guess I will change to affliction then...

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 06:17 PM ----------

Btw, I thought that the buff was applying to mastery only

Shadowbolt is still in the destro school, so it's only everything if you use DL.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    The shadow mastery that you get for choosing affliction applies to all shadow damage, including shadow bolt. However, potent affliction (which is increased by your mastery stat on gear) only applies to periodic shadow damage so it won't include shadow bolt.
    ^ Pretty much this. Aff Drain is more powerful because the mastery stat (on gear) applies to it, as well as the felhunter's demon soul, neither of which apply to shadow bolts. The buff we are receiving however is to "Shadow Mastery" which applies too all spells that deal shadow damage, regardless if they are direct damage, damage over time, destro, or affliction.

can someone link math or something that shows shadowbolt is affected by shadow mastery, the specialization?

at the end of the day, its not a big deal and shouldn't determine one's choice of how to play the spec, but I am curious, considering SB had previously been unaffected by any affliciton buffs other than nightfall. Couldn't find anything on EJ and the official forums are a mess.

Deleted
    Didnt they also buff haunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Meejum View Post
    can someone link math or something that shows shadowbolt is affected by shadow mastery, the specialization?

at the end of the day, its not a big deal and shouldn't determine one's choice of how to play the spec, but I am curious, considering SB had previously been unaffected by any affliciton buffs other than nightfall. Couldn't find anything on EJ and the official forums are a mess.
    Too lazy to find the math right now, read the tooltip on "Shadow Mastery" tho, http://www.wowhead.com/spell=87339 "Increase Shadow Spell damage by 25%" (30% after patch). Not "Increase Affliction Shadow Spell Damage" not "Increase Damage Over Time Shadow Spell Damage"... I don't know why so many people think Blizzard is out to trick them with tooltips.

If you want to prove it to yourself its fairly simple to do:
    1. Go Destruction (they only have fire bonus damage) cast Shadowbolts
    2. Go Affliction (they have +30% shadow bonus) cast Shadowbolts
    3. Note Damage difference
    4. ???
    5. Profit

Do you also think that Demonic Knowledge http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84740 the Demonology Mastery only effects Hand of Gul'dan, Hellfire, and Immolation Aura? Since only those 3 spells are actually in the Demonology tree after all...

Edit: Sorry that sounds more bitchy than intended...

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    Yes they did, but compared to the felhunter buff and shadow damage buff, its fairly negligible (tho a buff none the less)
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-04-26 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    yes by 30%, not much but better then nothing.

Too lazy to find the math right now, read the tooltip on "Shadow Mastery" tho, http://www.wowhead.com/spell=87339 "Increase Shadow Spell damage by 25%" (30% after patch). Not "Increase Affliction Shadow Spell Damage" not "Increase Damage Over Time Shadow Spell Damage"... I don't know why so many people think Blizzard is out to trick them with tooltips.

If you want to prove it to yourself its fairly simple to do:
    1. Go Destruction (they only have fire bonus damage) cast Shadowbolts
    2. Go Affliction (they have +30% shadow bonus) cast Shadowbolts
    3. Note Damage difference
    4. ???
    5. Profit

Do you also think that Demonic Knowledge http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84740 the Demonology Mastery only effects Hand of Gul'dan, Hellfire, and Immolation Aura? Since only those 3 spells are actually in the Demonology tree after all...
    I can't prove it to myself because I haven't even been able to download 4.1 due to being away from my computer, not to mention I'm not even sure if my server is stable right now. Otherwise, yes, I would.

Shadow Mastery used to be a talent in the affliction tree witch didn't affect SBs because SBs were not considered as shadow damage at the time, which is the reason I bring this up. The wording was also quite similar to what the tooltip now says. Not saying anyone is wrong, but I would have liked to have seen the evidence of the testing of this, because people erroneously believed the old Shadow Mastery also buffed SBs.

I'll probably post in here with some dummy results if I get around to it this evening.

edit:

so as 0/0/0 with no talent tree selected, with no gear on and no buffs on Lvl70 dummy, 48 SBs hit for an average of 725, not counting crits.
    2/0/0 affliction (points in imp LT just to get the test over with quicker) with no gear or buffs on lvl70 dummy, 49 SBs hit for an average of 943, not counting crits.

It appears that SB is indeed buffed by shadow mastery.

Other findings. The succubus seems to still be the stronger pet when glyphed over a 3/3 DA fel puppy, but the demon soul seemed to improve overall dps on the dummy (although it was close), not counting the even better potential of using it during DS, which I didnt really test on the raid boss dummy. BoD and Glyphed BoA were fairly close, with BoD ahead, but BoA should do better if one prefers to soul swap with any frequency.

Doomguard, in demo spec, lined up with trinket procs and power torrent (and i didnt pop meta), averaged 8.7k dps. Without any procs or meta he was hitting for about 6k. Pretty happy about that change.
    Last edited by Meejum; 2011-04-27 at 04:11 AM.