Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PC Problems, overclocking, crashing...

Hi, so I have a ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard with all of my sata devices in the 6gbs ports so according to ASUS I shouldn't be having trouble with those before anyone goes off and says thats the problem :/

So heres whats going on, my PC takes forever to start. I have to keep pressing the power button holding it and hoping that it starts, randomly when it DOES start it gets a "Overclocking failed: press f1 to enter setup to reconfigure your device" or something like that. I don't know if thats the sole problem but yeah. Recently I have randomly started to blue screen of death while doing seemingly nothing, gaming, or any other time it feels like it.

While playing EVE today, the problem worsened, and it just froze. I couldn't do anything CTRL + ALT + DELETE etc nothing was working to close it so I had to restart. Now im back to hoping the PC starts. To give more information about when it doesn't start, I hit the power button, it beeps twice, and then either waits a few seconds, dies down, dies down immediately, or sometimes it starts. Now when it starts I get back to the overclocking error sometimes. When I do start up, sometimes it says "hard drive not found" and I enter bios and I just dont see it. I restart again and there it is, it found it.

I am really not sure what the cause or source of these problems are but they must be interconnected, so if anyone needs more details please let me know.

I have a Sandy Bridges ASUS P8P67 Pro mobo, with an i7 2700k (or is it 2600?) which is factory overclocked. 8 GB DDR3 ram, forget the exact model I can find out if needed...
    128gb SSD (OS is on this one) , 1 TB WD hard drive, Geforce GTX 570 video card. Windows 7 64 bit is installed, upgraded from vista.

Beeping twice means a POST error. "overclocking failed" is usually tied to your memory. According to the P8P67 Pro manual... One continuous beep followed by two short beeps means no memory detected. Is that what it's doing? If so, one or more of your RAM sticks could be bad. Could also be the motherboard itself. Also, what do you mean by "factory overclocked"? Turbo mode? Or did you buy the computer from a store that built it and overclocked it?
    Last edited by Adappy; 2011-04-26 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    Hi, so I have a ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard with all of my sata devices in the 6gbs ports so according to ASUS I shouldn't be having trouble with those before anyone goes off and says thats the problem :/

So heres whats going on, my PC takes forever to start. I have to keep pressing the power button holding it and hoping that it starts, randomly when it DOES start it gets a "Overclocking failed: press f1 to enter setup to reconfigure your device" or something like that. I don't know if thats the sole problem but yeah. Recently I have randomly started to blue screen of death while doing seemingly nothing, gaming, or any other time it feels like it.

While playing EVE today, the problem worsened, and it just froze. I couldn't do anything CTRL + ALT + DELETE etc nothing was working to close it so I had to restart. Now im back to hoping the PC starts. To give more information about when it doesn't start, I hit the power button, it beeps twice, and then either waits a few seconds, dies down, dies down immediately, or sometimes it starts. Now when it starts I get back to the overclocking error sometimes. When I do start up, sometimes it says "hard drive not found" and I enter bios and I just dont see it. I restart again and there it is, it found it.

I am really not sure what the cause or source of these problems are but they must be interconnected, so if anyone needs more details please let me know.

I have a Sandy Bridges ASUS P8P67 Pro mobo, with an i7 2700k (or is it 2600?) which is factory overclocked. 8 GB DDR3 ram, forget the exact model I can find out if needed...
    128gb SSD (OS is on this one) , 1 TB WD hard drive, Geforce GTX 570 video card. Windows 7 64 bit is installed, upgraded from vista.
    The 2500k & 2600k are not factory overclocked, it's just unlocked for ease of overclocking should you choose to go that route. There should be some error messages with the BSOD, which would be the first place to start. What temp read out from the CPU are you getting before it crashes?

Well given the known issue with the Sandybridge chipsets and deterioration in SATA performance that's a strange opening...

Anyway, given what you've described it's very unlikely to be related. You say the system is factory overclocked?

Have you tried running it at stock speeds? it's entirely possible it's just an unstable overclock.
    Is it just the processor that's overclocked?
    Have you tried memtest?
    When the PC is running have you tried stressing it with Prime95?
    What temps does it run at idle and under load?

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    Beeping twice means a POST error. "overclocking failed" is usually tied to your memory. According to the P8P67 Pro manual... One continuous beep followed by two short beeps means no memory detected. Is that what it's doing? If so, your memory could be bad. Also, what do you mean by "factory overclocked"? Turbo mode? Or did you buy the computer from a store that built it and overclocked it?
    This also, if you're running Win7 you might have to run the memory diagnostic, coupled with the good ole fashion taking one stick out at a time to see if it continues the symptoms or not. "Overclocking failed" could be tied to something in there getting too hot, like your CPU.

Woah! lots of info, okay. I am not as PC literate as you guys, and no, a friend helped me build the PC when it came in parts.

I kept a CPU temp application running and never saw it spike high at all, i forget the exact numbers but I looked it up at the time and it seemed okay, it records the highest temperature and when I get it set back up (opened it to make sure im in the 6gbs sata slots no the 3gbs) i'll try and take a look.

Memtests? no idea how to do that, memory diagnostics ill have to run.

I guess its just unlocked then. I am no good at modifying bios honestly, I looked in there for a way to kill the overclocking but couldn't find anything.

it was just two short beeps, "beepbeep" then shut down.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I have had the power problem since I got the machine, I'll try taking ram slots out and see if that fixes it, though that would surprise me and I'd have to go bitch and newegg some -.-

As for the SATA ports, according to ASUS its only the 3gbs ports that have degeneration / corruption problems, not the 6gbs ports, I have the pro model which has four 6gbs ports and I am using those 4 for my drives.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 04:44 PM ----------

By the way, thanks a lot for all the info, this at least gets me moving and feeling productive toward a fix :/ lol

Woah! lots of info, okay. I am not as PC literate as you guys, and no, a friend helped me build the PC when it came in parts.

I kept a CPU temp application running and never saw it spike high at all, i forget the exact numbers but I looked it up at the time and it seemed okay, it records the highest temperature and when I get it set back up (opened it to make sure im in the 6gbs sata slots no the 3gbs) i'll try and take a look.

Memtests? no idea how to do that, memory diagnostics ill have to run.

I guess its just unlocked then. I am no good at modifying bios honestly, I looked in there for a way to kill the overclocking but couldn't find anything.

it was just two short beeps, "beepbeep" then shut down.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I have had the power problem since I got the machine, I'll try taking ram slots out and see if that fixes it, though that would surprise me and I'd have to go bitch and newegg some -.-

As for the SATA ports, according to ASUS its only the 3gbs ports that have degeneration / corruption problems, not the 6gbs ports, I have the pro model which has four 6gbs ports and I am using those 4 for my drives.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 04:44 PM ----------

By the way, thanks a lot for all the info, this at least gets me moving and feeling productive toward a fix :/ lol
    We all had to start somewhere. Best advice I can give for learning about computers is to find a good forum and lurk, lurk, lurk as well as read up on your mobo manual. Has it done this since you put the computer together, or was it running fine for a period of time before it acted up?

Memory Diagnostic just finished running and no errors it looks like...

Also, another thing, I have not been able to witness the crash very often, maybe two BSOD, but every day if I leave the PC on when I get home its on the login screen as if it crashed, or off entirely.

I have hibernate off because it seems to crash after a hibernate as well, just some more info.

Answer to above post: The trouble starting the PC has been since the start but the crashing is recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    If so, one or more of your RAM sticks could be bad.
    They could also be overclocked to improper timings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    They could also be overclocked to improper timings.
    Unless they come overclocked, I did not overclock them.

Well after trying to start up google chrome i got a blink of BSOD and then a restart. Not enough time to really read it. Its restarting smoothly though 0.o
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2011-04-26 at 04:57 PM.

This automatically makes me think it's a bad power supply. If you have a known good power supply lying around, see if that works on there. If it boots properly, RMA and exchange the power supply. If it still doesn't boot, well then, here's the fun part. Also, just for good measure, what is your power supply anyway?

Also: Try setting your EUFI BIOS settings back to default (there should be some option somewhere) and see if it BSODs then. If it still does, follow the steps below. It's time consuming, but it rules out any and all parts.

Two short beeps is a general hardware failure, pretty much. You'll have to go about it the old fashioned way and remove parts until something hits home. I'd start with the memory (as the POST code for video card is one long, three short, so you're good on that) and leave one in there, see if it boots up. If it boots properly, remove that one and put the other in and repeat. If it boots properly, you've ruled out the memory. If it doesn't boot on either stick, then it's bad memory.

This is not to mean it's just bad memory overall. If it doesn't boot on either stick, you could try leaving one in and replacing the video card with a known working video card. If that works, then it's the video card. If it doesn't work, then it's more than likely the memory. I would say that if you have a known working Sandy Bridge CPU to put that in there and see if it boots, because that's the only real way to test the motherboard. If your friend has a working Sandy Bridge CPU, have him put that in there to test the motherboard with HIS working memory (not yours). If the computer fails to boot, you have a faulty motherboard and it'll need to be RMA'd.

If it actually boots properly with his CPU, try your memory in place of his. If it still boots properly, then you have a bad CPU and will need to RMA and exchange it.

Memory Diagnostic just finished running and no errors it looks like...

Also, another thing, I have not been able to witness the crash very often, maybe two BSOD, but every day if I leave the PC on when I get home its on the login screen as if it crashed, or off entirely.

I have hibernate off because it seems to crash after a hibernate as well, just some more info.

Answer to above post: The trouble starting the PC has been since the start but the crashing is recent.
    Try http://www.memtest.org/ rather than the built in Windows 7 memory test and leave it running for a couple of hours.

Assuming that's ok, grab http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 (might need the 64bit version instead) and run that for a while at the same time as watching the CPU temps to see how warm everything gets.

Your PC is probably set to auto restart when it Blue Screens - Right-click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced -> Settings (under startup and recovery) -> Untick automatically restart. It might be somewhere slightly different, can't quite remember all versions of windows off the top of my head ^^

I would try all of that but I lack the resources (extra parts) and the problem is, its inconsistent... :/

I definitely dont have access to another CPU or video card.

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypeas View Post
    Try http://www.memtest.org/ rather than the built in Windows 7 memory test and leave it running for a couple of hours.

Assuming that's ok, grab http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 (might need the 64bit version instead) and run that for a while at the same time as watching the CPU temps to see how warm everything gets.

Your PC is probably set to auto restart when it Blue Screens - Right-click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced -> Settings (under startup and recovery) -> Untick automatically restart. It might be somewhere slightly different, can't quite remember all versions of windows off the top of my head ^^

gonna look into this, I turned off automatic restart, thanks.

Well just crashed again so waiting on BSOD to show up -.- before I could download that memtest.

INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

STOP: 0x00000003D (0XFFFFF80000B9BF60, 0X000000000000, 0x0000000000000, 0xFFFF880114C78E)

** mv91xx.sys - Address FFFFF8800114C78E base at FFFFF88001111B000, DATESTAMP 4c77a22
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2011-04-26 at 05:10 PM.

mv91xx.sys relates to the raid controller from what I can tell. Might be worth checking this out http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...e=en-us&page=1

Try and access something on each disk in turn, and see if accessing 1 reliably causes the crash. May need to change the drivers / a BIOS setting. Although that wouldn't explain all the crashes, it could be there's more than 1 issue at play.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quickest fix, had the same problem, identical motherboard and cpu different graphics card, you didn't specify the ram but i have 8gb Corsair Dominator.

Ok so, Quick fix:
    Let it fuck up the first boot, it will get stuck with a red light near your RAM and not boot (MemOK light). Happens coming from a cold boot unless you know how to tweak timings and voltages.
    Alright, so it's not starting up. Hold down the power button til it cuts off the power. As soon as all is quiet a few seconds later, hit it again.
    It should boot up and it should come up with "Overclocking Failed, Press f1 for setup". Press f1, then f10 then his Save and Reset (vitally important you save and reset). This will save the successful booting conditions and start the computer again. It's blue-screening and crashing if you just discard and exit because it's trying the failed overclock and as soon as the CPU moves from idle to load it's crashing because the clock is unstable.
    Don't worry! This won't damage your hardware, not anytime soon anyway, they're built to withstand multiple failed system boots.

Edit: If your problem is similar to what mine was it's because when you cold boot your RAM isn't acheiving the desired speed, since you're probably using 1800MHz RAM or faster when you're running a 2600k it sometimes fails to run the higher speed which causes an unstable clock, which causes a crash. This is generally fixed by restarting because the RAM will (usually) acheive the stable speed after a reboot.

It's also possible your problem isn't the RAM, when you start the computer and it doesn't start take off the side of your case and look for where the red light is, p8p67 pro motherboards have one for the CPU, the RAM and the VGA card.
    Last edited by Toziel; 2011-04-26 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toziel View Post
    Quickest fix, had the same problem, identical motherboard and cpu different graphics card, you didn't specify the ram but i have 8gb Corsair Dominator.

Ok so, Quick fix:
    Let it fuck up the first boot, it will get stuck with a red light near your RAM and not boot (MemOK light). Happens coming from a cold boot unless you know how to tweak timings and voltages.
    Alright, so it's not starting up. Hold down the power button til it cuts off the power. As soon as all is quiet a few seconds later, hit it again.
    It should boot up and it should come up with "Overclocking Failed, Press f1 for setup". Press f1, then f10 then his Save and Reset (vitally important you save and reset). This will save the successful booting conditions and start the computer again. It's blue-screening and crashing if you just discard and exit because it's trying the failed overclock and as soon as the CPU moves from idle to load it's crashing because the clock is unstable.
    Don't worry! This won't damage your hardware, not anytime soon anyway, they're built to withstand multiple failed system boots.

Hmm tried this and it did restart... but im still getting the two beeps nad trouble starting up, i hope that clears the overclock problem for good though

---------- Post added 2011-04-26 at 05:33 PM ----------

booting up eve now, gonna see if i can get some gameplay in without it crashing, thats what was crashing me last night and this morning the most.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm tried this and it did restart... but im still getting the two beeps nad trouble starting up, i hope that clears the overclock problem for good though
    For good? I doubt it. The internal problem will still exist and you will have to do it every time you cold boot. But after you get it stable it will stay stable til you shut it down for longer than it takes the RAM to clear (5ish minutes).

EDIT: To fix it for good you will PROBABLY need different RAM with a factory speed compatible with the p8p67 pro.

At least RAM is fairly cheap.
    Last edited by Toziel; 2011-04-26 at 05:37 PM.

Hmm interesting, well I just moved the ram over to two different slots (I couldn't get them back in the original slots due to my enourmous heatsink D they are still paired (both in blue instead of black now)

and no D: i crashed again :/ ughhh

Okay so now its not finding my hard drive, insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

This seems to indicate something wrong with the C: drive, its my SSD, or connection to it.

INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

STOP: 0x00000003D (0XFFFFF80000B9BF60, 0X000000000000, 0x0000000000000, 0xFFFF880114C78E)

** mv91xx.sys - Address FFFFF8800114C78E base at FFFFF88001111B000, DATESTAMP 4c77a22
    That looks like it could be the Marvell SATA 6Gbps controller that's causing that. Try plugging any SATA drives you have plugged into the two slots closest to the RAM into one of the 3Gbps ports (if you have a new B3 revision board, they're fine... and even if it's an older board from before the recall, they probably haven't degraded yet). See if that changes anything.

Edit: @ above post, what port is your C: drive plugged into?
    Last edited by Adappy; 2011-04-26 at 05:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1.) Your processor was not factory overclocked, it was unlocked. (Unless you specifically chose an "OVERCLOCK" option. It wouldn't have been included with your computer on any website that provides an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard option.)
    2.) Your SATA devices can be in whichever port you want them to be in. B3 Revision got rid of the Sata glitch. (I still have the Sata glitch, because I'm too lazy to go get a new motherboard. )
    3.) If you're technologically illiterate, it's not a far stretch to say you may have bumped something out of place or connected something wrong. Go over your connections.
    4.) I think the Asus P8P67 Pro has more Sata 6Gb/s slots than Intel's own chipset can support, so they use a third party chipset. Check to see if there's any updates to those.
    5.) Additionally, make sure your EUFI and Firmware for your motherboard are up to date.