Upgrading my PC, difference to be expected?

Upgrading my ungodly heathenistic piece of SHIT PC for something which is far far far far... FAR.. better..
    However I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me an idea of exactly how much faster the new PC will be over the old one.

Basic Specs
    Old.
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP 3
    AMD Sempron Processor 3100+
    1.80GHz, 1.00GB of RAM
    Nvidia FX5500 256mb
    80GB HDD

New

ZT Affinity 7567Mi Desktop PC
    Intel Core i5-2300 processor2.80GHz (quad-core)
    16GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    2TB SATA hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 5450 Video Card 1GB VRAM

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd see if you can get a better graphics card. The Radeon HD 5450 isn't very good.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Lose like 8gig of that ram and invest it in a better gfx card lol

16gb of ram is way overkill unless you're doing heavy production work on that system. Saithes is also right. If you can, opt for a stronger video card. Something either in the 5800+ or 6850+ range for an ATI card. I can't give a better number to steer for towards an nVidia card. Regardless though, it'll be a HUGE difference in comparison to the old system because the FX5500 was pretty asstastic back when it was new. (Not as bad as the 5200 but definitely not a strong contender.)

10+ Year Old Account
    16gb of ram ? What the hell are you doing with that ?

Processor should be smooth in raiding, gfx card needs an upgrade. There's no worse feeling that getting a new computer and not being able to max out the graphics comfortably

A 2TB hard drive might be excessive for you. Unless you store a large amount of files on your computer (ie. Movies), 250-500 should be sufficient. The money you save from buying a smaller hard drive can be used to get a better graphics card which will help for gaming in general. You might not even need to throw away your old hard drive, you can still use it as additional storage.
    Last edited by yurano; 2011-04-27 at 09:31 PM.

drop 4-8 gb of ram, unless you use photoshop and do a ton of video editing/ 3d rendering.

drop the 2TB driver and get 2 or more 500gb's and hook them up in RAID

get a HD5850, GtX460, or GtX560Ti

then i come rob you becuse i want that U.U

as far as speed goes..... day and night

you should boot about 10-15 seconds faster, be able to have a ton of stuff running at the same time, and id say 30-100 fps increase depending on the game and the settings you put it on. for wow, id say the old one ran it at about 10-40fps on mostly low. that new one should push all ultra at about 30-100fps (if you upgrade the gfx card) maybe 15-50 fps on high/very high/ some ultra (view distance and p density) if you leave it the same
    Last edited by bryanmathis; 2011-04-27 at 09:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    16gb RAM and HD5450? Whoever comes up with these builds needs to be kicked in the groin. Hard.
    (Not blaming you Sinope, blaming the companies who make such prebuilds).

Somewhere in the confusion, these companies found out that the average non-techies think that having stupid amounts of RAM will make their computer go faster - and turned that into a marketing tool. That RAM is also most likely 1066/1333mhz DDR3 @ CL9/CL10 or some shit.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

please list your motherboard because i have a feeling you would of screwed up the sockets also lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    please list your motherboard because i have a feeling you would of screwed up the sockets also lol.
    He didn't build it, it's a ZT Affinity prebuild.

IT CAN STORE 1,300,000 PHOTOS OR 571,000 SONGS! BUY TODAY!

Deleted
    I have to agree with the above posters. While your upgrade will be HUGE, the specs of your intended computer are "unbalanced".

-The CPU is good, although the i5-2500k offers a little more bag for just a little more bucks.
    -RAM is way overkill. Very few applications, including games, can utilize more than 4 GB of RAN. 8 GB could be regarded as an investment into the future....but 16 GB just seems like a needless excess. It might even slow your computer down slightly.
    -2TB HDD is fine if you need the storage space. Just make sure it's at least 7200 RPM. However if you don't need all that space, look into some hybrid drives like the Momentus XT. Even better is to invest into a small SSD as your system drive and get a 1TB drive for all the media files.
    -The Radeon HD 5450 is okish but will bott-neck your PC sooner or later. It's really not worth buying. Nvidias 560 Ti or AMDs Radeon HD 6950 would be much better choices.

ZT Affinity 7567Mi Desktop PC
    Intel Core i5-2300 processor2.80GHz (quad-core)
    16GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    2TB SATA hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 5450 Video Card 1GB VRAM

It's quite telling that it's a Walmart PC. They pop together whatever they can find, just like most other discounters.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Radeon HD 5450 is okish but will bott-neck your PC sooner or later. It's really not worth buying. Nvidias 560 Ti or AMDs Radeon HD 6950 would be much better choices.
    A 2500k + appropriate mobo + one of those cards will push the total price pretty high. Sure it'll run 5000x faster than his previous build, but hope he can afford those parts :P

all those parts don't make sense, I wouldn't even recommend that cpu.

For that price alone, you could get the i5-2400 and it would blow it away.

Op, You seem new to building but I recommend heavily researching it. Your premade comp is just awful.

1. for the same cpu price, get a i5-2400. If you have 20-30 more bucks to spare, get a i5-2500k.
    2. spend $120+ on a decent motherboard that supports the LGA 1155 socket, ddr3 memory, sata 6gb ability, usb 3.0
    3. You should get 8gb memory if you want to be future-proof for a while, 16gb is just overkill.
    4. corsair or antec power supply, 600W+, the amps are plenty on these two companies.
    5. The 6850 is the cheapest out of all the high performance cards, spend $170 on it. Your 5450 is only valued for 30 bucks, equivalent to motherboard on-board video. Think of the extra hundred taken out of your memory purchase and put into this card.
    6. Samsung F3 or F4 hard drive, best bang for your buck with its performance.

But plase, whatever you do, don't buy that pre-built comp.

drop the ram to around 8 and upgrade your graphics card

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    A 2500k + appropriate mobo + one of those cards will push the total price pretty high. Sure it'll run 5000x faster than his previous build, but hope he can afford those parts :P
    Well that's what I was trying to convey with saying the build was "unbalanced".

In one regard (RAM) very high end, in other regards cheap (GPU). And like most other machines, a PC can only run as fast as its slowest component.

for a little more get the i5 2500k, knock down that 16GB RAM to 8GB since even that is more than plenty, and if you can spare a little more money (depending on what kind of 2TB drive you're getting) see if you can get an SSD, that alone will make you crap your pants from the speed difference. even without that, the processor upgrade and RAM will make your old PC look like an antique

also goes without saying, upgrade that card bro