Thread: Frost DK Burst

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Frost DK Burst

Anyone finding Obliterate hitting for numbers that aren't really acceptable for a single GCD with virtually no setup required?

Stopped arena for the night having faced a Frost DK teamed with a Disc priest. Our comp is Destro & Feral, we CC the priest, start nuke on the DK, he pops his defensive cooldowns and we go for the kill... The fight suddenly changes when he gets his Obliterate spam out, I checked death log to see just how hard he was hitting me...

This damn DK hit me 3 times in a row with only melee swings in between (i.e. 3 GCDs) with obliterate 2 out of 3 were crits, 19k non crits, 38k crits.

So lets do a little math;

So in the time of 3 GCDs he was in melee combat with me, he managed to (excluding melee swings) deal approx 95k damage to me. We have a new warrior now?

With Death runes being up all the time, can't a DK use 3 obliterates, followed by runic empowerment to refresh runes and spam another 3?

Before the "Resilience" will fix it, i'm sitting at 3.1k resilience, add soul link onto that and you see why I made this post.

Yes, yes we can. It's fun to be a 2h Frost DK and Obliterate someone six(ERW) times in a row, in under 6 normal globals. :3

I see huge potential in DKs currently, I don't know how we've not been nerfed yet, if I'm honest. I was destroying people in BGs earlier on my DK(yeah, BGs are balanced, I know), and my gear is just PvE pre-raid crap.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-04-28 at 01:02 AM.

I was doing some quick mages on my resto druid, nothing fancy, we were against mage/lock.

on 1500mmr.. on 3.8k resi I took a 39k arcane blast crit.. I mean.. really?
    I honestly don't think 40k crits are acceptable on 3.8k resi. even if curse of elements was up.

if some classes can hit for so hard.. either something is bugged or they fucked up resi.
    Last edited by ragingsoul; 2011-04-28 at 01:03 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

Deleted
    @ragingsoul How quick trolls come out at this time of the night amazes me.

Is what I said such an unrealistic figure? Is combat log lying to me? Is my recount's death log lying to me?
    Does Obliterate require setup... No It just requires 2 runes.

The odd thing is that I didn't notice any changes to Obliterate (in the patch notes)... Are there any Frost DKs out there doing arena who can inform me if they've noticed any difference, or if this is the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post

Is what I said such an unrealistic figure? Is combat log lying to me? Is my recount's death log lying to me?

The odd thing is that I didn't notice any changes to Obliterate (in the patch notes)... Are there any Frost DKs out there doing arena who can inform me if they've noticed any difference, or if this is the norm.

still trolling?
    that's my druid
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...sunadee/simple
    yes, my spec is more pve, so take away 6% of that from the normal pvp talents, I still think it's retarded to get 40k crits on 3.8k resi.
    if it's the same for DKs, maybe something else is buged, it's not necessary their spell.
    Last edited by ragingsoul; 2011-04-28 at 01:13 AM.
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

in tol barad (best example i know right) i was rolling on my mage and getting 47k AB's with 4 or even 3 stacks. And my alt is a frost dk so im gonna love 4.1 pvp

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    hero class working as intended. i see no problems here.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

4.2 inc buffs for frost mages, dk's, warriors, and rogues. Just a lil fyi lol. I can't complain too much, I play rshaman

I'm calling bullshit on those numbers. I have a frost DK with the str on use trinket, arena weapon, full bloodthirsty, and i only get 40k crits on people with zero resil and below 35% hp for the 12% damage boost and that's only with the str trinket popped, pillar of frost, and fallen crusader.

the highest i've ever crit anyone even semi-geared is for 20k.

lol wait a sec, you're claiming he did this to you through 3.1k resil AND soul link? bullshit. total bullshit.

the only way that could ever happen would be shitloads of PVE gear, heroic weapon, and your pet CC'd so SL didn't work.

Obliterate was not buffed. frost strike recieved a buff from 110% ->130% and HB single target damage was buffed 20% (hits for like ~6k now)

I would also like to point out, DK's only crit when their talent procs. otherwise, they have ~5% crit chance. so getting 3 crits in a row is very unlikely itself.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=51128

edit: according to testing done in the comments section of KM talent, it procs roughly 5 times per minute, or once every ~12 sec.

edit 2: did some testing myself. on the 85 target dummy, I'm critting for 30k oblits with fallen crusader proc up. with all my procs/CD's, 40k. .... this again reinforces my disbelief of your 3.1k resil 38k crits.
    Last edited by fizikz; 2011-04-28 at 08:21 AM.
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Thank god i found this post, was doing 2s yesterday with my irl mate, and i was sitting at 3000 resi.
    Then we faced Frost DK / X (healer) And i was seeing incredible crits, not such as 38k, but i was hit for 30k.
    Atm Frost DK's are a bit silly, not unlike a couple of other classes.

Oh yeah, feel free to call bullshit on my post, i should've SS'ed it really !
    Quote Originally Posted by Untoldblasphemy View Post
    "You play for fun, but when I kill you, who's having the fun?"
    ^ Awesome !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ragingsoul View Post
    I was doing some quick mages on my resto druid, nothing fancy, we were against mage/lock.

on 1500mmr.. on 3.8k resi I took a 39k arcane blast crit.. I mean.. really?
    I honestly don't think 40k crits are acceptable on 3.8k resi. even if curse of elements was up.

if some classes can hit for so hard.. either something is bugged or they fucked up resi.
    Now you're wrong here.Comparing Instant DK spam with casting time ability which needs 4 stacks is just stupid.To hit that high he needs to have Arcane Power up,SP trinket,and 4th stack.So please think about it before you start making stupid comparisons.Yes i'm mage.

10+ Year Old Account

well heres the deal...if he pops a pvp trinket that provides 1605 strength that coincides with say unholy strength ( the dk fallen crusader 15% str buff ) then pops Pillar of Frost for a further 20% strenghth... maybe gets 1 or 2 Killing Machine procs then yea...that is going to hit like a beast...thats why we can only do it sometimes...or if he is like me... times it with a Heart of rage proc as well... ( im human now ) so 1976 from HoR...pop pvp trinket thats 1605 then 15% from the FC runeweapon enchant...then pop PoF for 20% more...then thats roughly about 23k or ish attack power...with all that procced together...its a once in a blue moon thing but yea...unless you see this happening ALL the time then i'd put it down to luck.

thats my input. =)

Its just like some other classes that can have a once in a blue moon, proc sync rapefest of awesome
    Last edited by Shadzta; 2011-04-28 at 05:53 AM.

You people seem to not know how Arcane Blast works. Those numbers are real, read up on how the spell works.

"Blasts the target with energy, dealing 1711 to 1987 Arcane damage. Each time you cast Arcane Blast, the damage of Arcane Blast and Arcane Explosion is increased by 10%, Arcane Blast casting time is reduced by 0.1 sec and Arcane Blast mana cost is increased by 150%. "

If the Mage keeps doing it, the damage will go increasingly higher. It's just not viable in PvE because it'll make you go oom too quickly, but in PvP it's great for burst.

Does Obliterate require setup.
    Actually, it does.

You're not getting 40k Obliterate crits on people with 3k plus resilience. Maybe if the stars align in full PVE gear.

It's the same thing with any class that gets a buff, people previously don't bother to CC them because they can just power through it, not they have to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You people seem to not know how Arcane Blast works. Those numbers are real, read up on how the spell works.

"Blasts the target with energy, dealing 1711 to 1987 Arcane damage. Each time you cast Arcane Blast, the damage of Arcane Blast and Arcane Explosion is increased by 10%, Arcane Blast casting time is reduced by 0.1 sec and Arcane Blast mana cost is increased by 150%. "

If the Mage keeps doing it, the damage will go increasingly higher. It's just not viable in PvE because it'll make you go oom too quickly, but in PvP it's great for burst.
    It also relies on you free-casting. Good luck doing that as a squishy arcane mage in PVP.

---------- Post added 2011-04-28 at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsme View Post
    Now you're wrong here.Comparing Instant DK spam with casting time ability which needs 4 stacks is just stupid.To hit that high he needs to have Arcane Power up,SP trinket,and 4th stack.So please think about it before you start making stupid comparisons.Yes i'm mage.
    ^this ftw.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsme View Post
    And now your wrong here. DK spam? hmmm? we can't spam obliterate and yes it can hit big if we get proc's, otherwise we are sitting on a 5% crit chance. You also say a casting ability, wow 2 second cast time, cry more please. we get roughly 1 killing machine proc which makes our obliterate's crit's once every 10 seconds, you can arcane blast 5 times in that time ><

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

its good for burst in bgs yeah, however anyone that trys arenaing as arcane will get trained so hard they won't even be able to cast.

Deleted
    @OP you're were playing mage / druid or? Anyway. If it was you who got hit for that amount, go and see how ppl play resto in arena. What you do is that you hot ppl and then hump that pillar like it's the last hump in your life. If you get slowed travelform / normal form. Really L2P. But you should NOT have a prob with a mage :O
    Last edited by mmoce67b35dfcc; 2011-04-28 at 08:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    well heres the deal...if he pops a pvp trinket that provides 1605 strength that coincides with say unholy strength ( the dk fallen crusader 15% str buff ) then pops Pillar of Frost for a further 20% strenghth... maybe gets 1 or 2 Killing Machine procs then yea...that is going to hit like a beast...thats why we can only do it sometimes...or if he is like me... times it with a Heart of rage proc as well... ( im human now ) so 1976 from HoR...pop pvp trinket thats 1605 then 15% from the FC runeweapon enchant...then pop PoF for 20% more...then thats roughly about 23k or ish attack power...with all that procced together...its a once in a blue moon thing but yea...unless you see this happening ALL the time then i'd put it down to luck.

thats my input. =)

Its just like some other classes that can have a once in a blue moon, proc sync rapefest of awesome
    It was the first Frost DK I encountered throughout my games yesterday, he could well have been using PVE gear, I didn't armory him.
    No it doesn't happen all the time, but I was curious about the sheer amount of damage he put out.

Just came here to ask if that was a once in a blue moon occurrence, or if something had been changed and I didn't notice.