Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny that before this week, I had never experienced the Rocket Fuel Leak, I even thought they removed it months ago after... But since the patch it's owned my ass several times, the novelty and hilarity of it doing so wore off quick... Not cool... At least Blizz is or has significantly reduced the damage it does because it is absolutely stupid that it can kill you outright.
    Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 2011-04-29 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    blue quote on MMO main page

Engineering - Rocket Fuel Leak
    "Rocket Fuel Leak" was specifically meant as an alternative failure for dungeons, raids, and battlegrounds so we weren't launching people up into unknown invisible (or otherwise) roofs and getting them stuck or allowing content exploitation. In 4.1 it was fixed so that this failure was actually properly going off in these specific types of content.

Reevaluating the damage though, we're going to apply a hotfix to bring it down quite a bit (it won't be able to kill you outright anymore). (Source)

Deleted
    Had more fuel leaks today as i've had since the start of cata actually
    Wonder if they upped the chance to get it with the decrease in damage or if i'm just unlucky today :/
    It's just a retarted mechanisme that should not be in there, i don't mind getting blown into the sky but loosing almost all your hp in BG making you basicly a free HK is just stupid (ofc less stupid as loosing all your hp and a bit more , but still stupid) should have made it a stun or w/e instead of this crap.
    Last edited by mmocffc62feb06; 2011-04-30 at 04:23 PM.

was better when it just threw you into the air

Quote Originally Posted by cooespooh View Post
    Anyone remember when there was that portable mortar that would frequently (maybe 50% chance?) insta-kill you whenever you reloaded it? Or... the old teleports... one of the frequent backfires was a flame debuff that did a % of your max health per second as damage, and you would die at the end of it if you didn't get healed in time.
    Or the rocket boots that would instantly blow up most of the time and force you to make a new pair! Or the flame thrower that would sometimes blow up and make you run around randomly in confusion... or the death ray laser that would sometimes shock you instead of your target.... or the chicken gun that would sometimes turn YOU into a chicken... or the parachute that would sometimes fail and you would fall to your death...

Best. Profession. Ever.
    I've had more fun with failed gizmos than with successful ones.

---------- Post added 2011-04-29 at 05:15 PM ----------

The profession isn't for the thick-skulled or the up-tight. If you're an engineer, you gotta know the risks. It has been like that since day 1 of the game, and always will. You will get backfires, you will get mishaps, you will get killed... but in return, you will get some of the craziest things possible.

If you want a reliable profession that won't kill you, take up tailoring. Knitting sounds like the right thing for people like you. Safe and boring.
    Ignorance... I guess it really is blissful.

Deleted
    I had seen the leak during pve content before (as well as getting propelled into the air) so it wasn't solely happening in BG's prior to 4.1

annoying as hell when they fail, but at least they reduced the damage it does to 80% over 8 seconds. I guess I'm kind of lucky in that the leak has only happened to me twice and not during an encounter...flying into the air on the other hand..

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. maybe I can actually use it now in pvE

10+ Year Old Account
    Tempting to be honest, I *MIGHT* live through it! first aid ftw, and isn't this why we make warlocks give us those healthstone thingies?

Deleted
    Imo it's better this way. Yeah, you get a bigger chance of death just from using it, but at least it not so bad now. We even had it banned from using during raids, cause of how many time someone would wipe us.

Also, now you are just taking big damage, instead of being pretty much rooted in place (since you would still take damage from any "void zones" while being move out of range of healers. Though I will miss the occasional wins when I would rocket jump-parachute from the apex of explosion to still get to my destination fast.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Imo it's better this way. Yeah, you get a bigger chance of death just from using it, but at least it not so bad now. We even had it banned from using during raids, cause of how many time someone would wipe us.

Also, now you are just taking big damage, instead of being pretty much rooted in place (since you would still take damage from any "void zones" while being move out of range of healers. Though I will miss the occasional wins when I would rocket jump-parachute from the apex of explosion to still get to my destination fast.
    I can just imagine my death on mumble

''Wtf happen to Apathy while he was kiting a shadow orb in Sinestra, he didn't have Wrack on him''

Me: Uh my rocket boots failed and she breathed on my face

Uh oh... I'm in trouble :P

Engineering offers often substantial benefits not available to any other profession.
    So while I can see the need for some sort of malfunction or unexpected consequence being a fair compromise, I feel one that can kill you randomly simply because of bad luck being rather excessive and unecessary.
    Some sort of flat-out failure, or simply random effect such as in the style of the teleporter malfunction would be more appropriate.

The intent was to make engineering wild fun and balanced, it turned it downright unusable, masochistic, and suicidal

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    That's a great idea! How about the Chimera's Eye epic gems have a 50% failchance when you socket them. When they fail the gem is destroyed, oh well you can get another one in 2 days.
    Then we can tell them "Don't like selfdestroying gems? Don't get jewelcrafting".
    that'd be great, it would give me something to do with the 50+ jc'ers marks i have and nothing to buy with

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Don't use the stuff in Engineering that can backfire, and Engineering is balanced with the other professions.

The stuff that backfires gives you even better stuff than any other profession, but at the risk of occasional death.

It's balanced as-is. The "solution" if you don't like them is to just remove all the stuff that backfires
    The fact that this thread got 7 pages past this post is a display of wow players' amazing ability to cry even when they have nothing to cry about.