Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Think about it, other classes watch their resources and cooldowns, maybe not mana as much, but they usually have more to their rotation. Arcane is AB or AB+AM depending on the current phase of your DPS.

Not counting utility and Cooldowns.

Subtlety Rogue:
    The main abilities used by a Subtlety Rogue ~ Ambush, Hemorrhage, Backstab, Slice and Dice, Eviscerate, Rupture(Refreshed by Evisc) and Recuperate.

Arcane Mage:
    The main abilities used by an Arcane Mages ~ Arcane Blast, Arcane Missiles and Arcane Barrage if on the move.

So really, Arcane Mages DO have less to do than other classes, but that doesn't mean managing mana is less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by errosync View Post
    Sweet, someone else who has no idea what they're talking about.

The Arcane mage rotation in Wrath was comprised of the last two rotations you had in your post. If you did anything other than that, such as regularly hit Barrage, or hit AM when a MBAM proc appeared, you were doing it wrong, period. Mana was irrelevant due to replenishment and other various sources; you never used Mage Armor as Arcane, which is a pretty dead set indicator mana didn't matter.
    I can't believe I even have to take the time to post logs to prove someone so ignorant wrong...
    http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/play...H/Arcane_Mage/
    Note that all of them use Mage Armor? Can you please stop spreading your BS now?

Arcane's main goal in Wrath was to end the fight with zero mana exactly. Mana was most certainly not irrelevant. I don't even want to argue rotations with you because you are probably equally misinformed about them as you are about NOT USING MAGE ARMOR.

Quote Originally Posted by mikrouli View Post
    no you could completely not care about mana by the end of wrath because with 2-3 resto druids and healers not needing to care about mana at all you were getting pumped with innervates and didn't have to watch your mana bar and fish for mbar to your heart's content
    This is slightly true, but I would argue that even with many innervates, there would still be at least 3 or 4 different rotations to rotate through (ab spam, ab4+mbarr, ab4missles, and ab till mbar) as opposed to the two we have now (ab spam & mana neutral cycle) and it was a lot harder to end the fight with zero mana since abspam was not the extreme mana dump it is now.
    Last edited by anjou; 2011-04-28 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JackalopeSpam View Post
    It's going to be hard to claim that arcane is easy when 75-90% of your button presses lead to the casting of Arcane Blast... You can't claim skill when you rarely hit anything else, no matter how many elses there are.
    So, mana management, cool down management, knowing when to use a managem to gain the spellpower or when to use evocation, knowing when to switch from Fire armor to mage armor... All that doesn't matter? Oh, and bear in mind I don't play a mage as a main, I play Demo lock, which was considered one of the "toughest" rotations, and I have great respect for arcane mages.

So, what spec do you play? One where you just press buttons willy nilly and it doesn't matter how much mana you have, as long as you press them in the right order? It's not a skill to be able to memorize a sequence, monkeys can do that. The skill is making a decision which could earn you 20% DPS now, or 60% in a minute, and not having it spelled out for you by your power auras.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Ultima View Post
    So, mana management, cool down management, knowing when to use a managem to gain the spellpower or when to use evocation, knowing when to switch from Fire armor to mage armor... All that doesn't matter?
    I love how people defending arcane act like they're the only spec that has to manage cooldowns. Literally every spec in the game has about the same number of cooldowns as you. And no I don't think mana mangement makes up for the ease of your rotation cause healers have to do the same shit with a million more buttons. So please just try a different spec/class and realize how stupid easy arcane is.

Now once you've done that feel free to go back to enjoying arcane, because I don't feel that just because a spec is easy to play, it isn't fun to play. But for the love of god stop kidding yourselves.

P.S. btw sorry Queen for using your post as the example, it just happened to be the closest example on my screen at the time =P.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    So really, Arcane Mages DO have less to do than other classes, but that doesn't mean managing mana is less effort.
    False. Less buttons that deal damage? Yes, but saying that we have less to do is an overly simplistic and ignorant statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakmax View Post
    I love how people defending arcane act like they're the only spec that has to manage cooldowns. Literally every spec in the game has about the same number of cooldowns as you. And no I don't think mana mangement makes up for the ease of your rotation cause healers have to do the same shit with a million more buttons. So please just try a different spec/class and realize how stupid easy arcane is.
    You must be pretty terrible at the game if playing another spec shows you how easy arcane is. Let's be honest, no dps spec is hard to play. I invite you to name a dps spec that is actually difficult to put out numbers with

P.S. I raid 90% fire 10% arcane so no I am not a bias arcane fanboy it just annoys me when people are this ignorant, regardless of what spec/class it is about

Quote Originally Posted by Griepen View Post
    Anyone who calls it that is obviously clueless and in my eyes a total noob, so i don't take offense when i literally rape them on dps and they start calling me bad.
    It is basicly a 2 button rotation, I also call it a 2 button rotation,I'm not gonna lie.(I'm a mage as my main,and another one as my alt ) BUT what people do not take in consideration is that Arcane is shit without mana,they don't think about that we have to think about basicly every spell we cast and when we do it,how we consume and save mana + we also have to think of how we will be able to survive certain encounters on top of that. most other classes actually just have to think about a basic rotation based on something that does not basicly decide their DPS, and to survive. What we got is surviving,rotation(I wouldn't say it's something you have to think alot about) and to keep our mana high enough to maintain a decent or better dps.

Of course there's more to Arcane than 1 or 2 buttons. But it's still boring to me. I'd rather they turn Arcane into a healing tree so I can go back to fire or be a healer.

Edit--
    I say this because Arcane has never been fun, and in every expansion so far (for at least a little while in each) Arcane has been the top Mage spec. There has been more complaining about this spec being boring than any other Mage spec that I can think of at any point in wow. Blizzard is trying, but they haven't quite made Arcane viable for FUN. Topping meters isn't fun when playing the spec puts me to sleep. Do something else with Arcane please.
    Last edited by chrisnumbers; 2011-04-28 at 10:02 PM.

How I feel? Awesome. Because I don't give a sheet of paper about people who clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

It may be true, sit a retarded monkey in front of a keyboard and he will deliver whopping DPS. But wait until his Mana drops to 0. Now he's nothing more than a retarded monkey in front of a keyboard.
    But its that exact moment, when you actually see and make a different as a good mage. Sure, hitting the Evocation button is like... well, let the monkey do that. But after that, reacting to the encounter's difficulties, because you have to "see" several seconds into the future to know when and foremost WHERE to stand to cast is way more challenging as for a fire or frost mage.
    Or to manage your mana to always hover at a high percentage is also quite fun (sure, 2 x ab, 1 x am, rinse and repeat will do the job... but you can crank out way more DPS if you are doing it right)

this just in: all other caster specs worry about mana too

^^^ dont feed the troll

mana bar go down when cast spell?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    mana bar go down when cast spell?
    Quoted for truth.

if all i have to do is spam one button to kill everything then thats fine, so i can laugh, point fingers then camp your body while you alt tab, load mmo champion and QQ about what just happened... people are ignorant, if you're not a mage then who gives a fuck bout arcane rotation, and if you are a mage complaining about the easy rotation, you have 2 more...enough said now stfu.. ty bye bye

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkz View Post
    if all i have to do is spam one button to kill everything then thats fine, so i can laugh, point fingers then camp your body while you alt tab, load mmo champion and QQ about what just happened... people are ignorant, if you're not a mage then who gives a fuck bout arcane rotation, and if you are a mage complaining about the easy rotation, you have 2 more...enough said now stfu.. ty bye bye
    amen brotha

15+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as how it's extremely easy, I don't blame them for calling it a 1 button spec because it pretty much is.

Quote Originally Posted by anjou View Post
    You're telling me that you could spam arcane blast the entire fight? or how about just arcane blast to 4 +mbarr proc? 4 arcane blasts then missiles regardless of proc?

None of those were sustainable throughout a fight, if you "didn't worry" about mana while playing arc in wrath you were playing arc wrong.
    After 4.0 hit, I could go through Heroic Morrowgar DBS, Festergut, Rotface and BQL only using 1 maybe 2 Arcane Missiles - and that was tops.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Whilst any decent player knows any dps class regardless of simplicity still requires monitoring of procs and cooldowns to achieve max dps, there are actually many bad players who really do just press that 1 button and nothing else.

Exactly what time are we talking about? 4.0 Arcane was in fact a 1 button spec. With the speed at which bosses died in ICC (like 2 minutes for any decent guild by then) you could afford to cast nothing but arcane blast. Other than that arcane has never been a complete 1 button spec, at times it has been stupidly easy like pre 4.0 ICC where there was no thought process other than "ABx4 -> AM". The original Wrath arcane mage was designed really well in my opinion, with variable rotations depending on mana and barrage clipping making you use that never used barrage button.

1 button mash.... i was an arcane mage up til cata raiding (fire mage), now in 4.1 they've buffed arcane to shlts.
    for example:
    im the gong hitter for Atramedes (purely for improved blink & no mana mangement what so ever, just spamming cd's with ab's)

4.06 > 11-13k dps
    4.1 > 18k dps

mana management nothing fires more fun and has aoe

atleast im getting my 3 % bonus damage in randoms now
    past few days i meet only arcane mages
    Last edited by mastertroll; 2011-04-29 at 01:06 AM.