Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

DX11 - The Difference?

Tried using DX11 in WoW which resulted in a black screen (guess I can't use DX11) but what difference is there between DX9 and DX11?

One version crashes , the other one doesn't? I didn't even know there was a DX11 option 0-o
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde View Post
    Wow. You don't even know the basics. Challenging Shout is not and has never been a taunt. It doesn't even remotely function like a taunt.

Afaic it's the "system" that handles the graphic. That might not be entirely true but let's put it simple, DX11 gives you more fps in wow then for example DX9 would give with the same computer spec and settings

10+ Year Old Account
    Supposedly looks better and more stable. I've been using DX11, the difference is minimal, maybe certain things look crisper. But I do notice that sometimes when I look at water and go from land to water sometimes it'll bug out and the water will disappear. Then once I fly out of the water, it'll return to normal.

To use DX11 you need a new gen video card. Even my GTX280 (which is still a beastly gpu from 2008) cannot support DX11. You need a GTX400 or 500 series OR whatever the ATi equivalent is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    To use DX11 you need a new gen video card. Even my GTX280 (which is still a beastly gpu from 2008) cannot support DX11. You need a GTX400 or 500 series OR whatever the ATi equivalent is.
    ATI HD 5xxx and 6xxx series.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    DX11 gives you more fps in wow then for example DX9 would give with the same computer spec and settings
    Considering I get 60+ fps on DX9 I s'poss i'm not missing out then!

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Considering I get 60+ fps on DX9 I s'poss i'm not missing out then!
    You're only missing out on minor particle effects like better smoke and fire effects

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    I think the real test would be a 25 man raid boss pull under each API.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

DX9 versus DX11

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Tried using DX11 in WoW which resulted in a black screen (guess I can't use DX11) but what difference is there between DX9 and DX11?
    The difference is much more about quality than framerates. DX11 has features the games (like WoW) and other programs (CAD, etc.) use to render (create) the 3D environment with higher quality and at a faster rate. It is hardware based. So, your card either supports is or doesn't. Upgrades to firmware (generally) do not give you DX11 capability.

The big differences are in the little details in the rendering. For example, staircases in DX9 will look like ramps with a texture painted on them.... like a faux surface. In DX11, the stairs will have the distinct box shape on each step with shadows projected on the steps. The cards that support DX11 are genereally much faster than DX9 cards as they are newer and therefore give higher framerates.

Hope this helps.

For me details, you can go here. pcgameshardware.com and search for World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Experimental-DirectX-11-support

It has texture comparisons and other cool explanations for lay people and techies.

Actually, according to Blizzard there is absolutely no visual difference at all:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...09106?page=1#2

I posted the same observation yesterday - no visual change whatsoever. But it has been fun to see how many people claim to see all kinds of changes and improvements that don't exist.

Just because DX11 supports a certain feature doesn't mean it has been utilized by Blizzard.
    Ashin, Stormreaver
    South of Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by ashin View Post
    Actually, according to Blizzard there is absolutely no visual difference at all:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...09106?page=1#2

That is what I thought, although it has been interesting to see how many people claim to see all kinds of things. :P
    Well when people unload $400-500 on a DX11 card, their minds are going to force them to see things, even if theyre not there. Its only human to feel bad when you start to question if something you bought was really worth it.

I have an ATI HD 55770, which I bought about 3 months ago for around $150. So I didn't spend a fortune on my card. I have not noticed any inherent visual quality differences between DX9 and DX 11.

However, I HAVE noticed a significant increase in FPS. I am running my game at 1920x1080 (HD) and since the increase in FPS, I noticed that I was able to up my quality settings in game. For example, I was able to turn up the shadow quality as well as increase the level of AA and anisotropic filtering without losing anywhere NEAR as many FPS as I did when I was using WoW in DX9.

TLDR I have gotten a significant boost in FPS due to DX11 that has allowed me to increase my quality settings in game significantly without any significant loss in FPS. The result is a faster and better looking game. Clearly DX11 is putting taking CPU calculations and putting them onto my GPU where they belong. Thanks DX11!

The only thing that you'll see when switching on DX11 on WoW currently will be FPS increase due to enabling newer Shader Models. The setting itself doesn't provide any visual improvements as of now but it might let you push your graphic options higher if you haven't been able to do so before.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I was using Dx11 since Cata came out, and I did noticed that the graphic was better and you get more Fps than Dx9.

But since the new patch came out, if you try using Dx11 you get a black screen and this sucks. So I'm forced to use Dx9 again when before I was using Dx11. Damn it blizzard, don't break something that works!
    Yep I'm guild-less because of toxic elite-jerks in my old top raiding guild. Why can't we all get along like normal human beings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamahut View Post
    Well I was using Dx11 since Cata came out, and I did noticed that the graphic was better and you get more Fps than Dx9.

But since the new patch came out, if you try using Dx11 you get a black screen and this sucks. So I'm forced to use Dx9 again when before I was using Dx11. Damn it blizzard, don't break something that works!
    The black screen thing was already in beta, you could fix it by changing some settings like shadow.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it still busted?

There is no really serious visual difference between DX9 and DX11. It's a fairly behind-the-scenes setting that most people need not care about. If you have a DirectX11 capable GPU, you might as well enable it and you'll probably see a bit if a performance improvement. It's just a matter of things being more efficient under the hood.

If you don't have DX11-ready hardware or you have problems enabling it, I really wouldn't sweat it. It's not a huge deal.

Correction for above. Anyone with DX10-ready or newer hardware should enable it, due to enabling newer shader model to run things.

It's actually a dx10-11 pathway. Any hardware that handles dx10/10.1 and upwards should see a performance increase. It has been in-game for a long time now, what changed is that they have a UI toggle for it now.