Tier Gear QQ--possible fix

As usual, the new tier gear has been released and the QQ has started. Im not sure how hard this would be for Blizz, but they should put something into the game that allows you to keep the stats of the current tier gear you have, but change the appearance to match the previously released tiers. They already have items in the game that proc entire character transformations yet keep the stats from their gear, so I was just curious if they could actually accomplish this. They could even require you to actually get the peice of previous tier gear to unlock the ability to change your current tier gears graphic. I think this would add alot of customization to a game that seems to be a little short on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If i am not wrong they are working on that as when it will hit live servers even devs dont know

Quote Originally Posted by ThorSteinar View Post
    If i am not wrong they are working on that as when it will hit live servers even devs dont know
    If that is true, that would be great. Ive enjoyed the game since BC and everyone looking the same at endgame is the only thing I dont like about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by peentu View Post
    If that is true, that would be great. Ive enjoyed the game since BC and everyone looking the same at endgame is the only thing I dont like about the game.
    Yes the system they are implementing the ability to be able to change the gear of a slot to look like a peice of gear you have obtained, so you can just make your gear however you want you have to obtain it then you can look like that. but yes it is coming, when we dont know.

I think the fix is that people should just grow up and realise that it's impossible for Blizzard to release a set that is universally loved by everyone because it is equally impossible to create anything that is universally loved by everyone.

Seriously, how can people not know this? I did when I was five.

Though they may or may not be considering implementing that, I'm not sure, I do believe that they don't want to put the effort of their designers to waste by having people just choose their favorite tier with only few wearing their new, shiny creations. Though the same can be said for their old tiers, I guess. /shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsimeon
    Those are raptors. Raptors are not fish.
    Get out of the water, raptor. You can not breathe there.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think the fix is that people should just grow up and realise that it's impossible for Blizzard to release a set that is universally loved by everyone because it is equally impossible to create anything that is universally loved by everyone.

Seriously, how can people not know this? I did when I was five.
    Rogue tier 2 would like a word with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    A solution to the problem would be to put the whiners into the artists seat and let them design a set themselves, people claim these sets are so shit, I'd like to see them do better tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThorSteinar View Post
    you are wrong, this won't happen anytime soon.
    what they said was that they are going to give players more freedom in the sense of appearence, but they wont let us put t12 stats on t2 appearence or any other kind of gear. it was already to much for them to give us designable cloaks or even dyes for gear - you can bet that they won't allow any "disguise" of good gear.

I think it is not so hard to please people if they follow a few guidelines:

- if somebody rolls a character of some class, it is because said person likes the feel that class has to it. Match the tier looks to the feeling of a class. The most successful tiers that nearly everybody enjoys follow that 'rule'. Make a Shaman look like a Shaman, a Druid like a Druid, a Paladin like a Paladin. People might even QQ, but it is not bound to be a 'love VS hate the tier' discussion.

- make tiers match the armour type. Plate should look like plate, no matter if it is silver, purple or red. Leather should look like leather and not a regular cloth thing. Mail should be mail, there should not be instances where 'this looks like fabric, but it is in fact mail!'.

- refrain from making helms too big. Helms are always a heated discussion, especially when they are large.

- do not go overboard with colours. Things can be clean, sober, it does not have to have red, blue, yellow, orange, green and so on and so forth.

If they designed the sets the way they design theirs characters for the HQ, mangas, wallpapers and all that, they would make players go 'outstanding!' or 'meh'. I would settle for that.

They do not have to make big changes and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Niter View Post
    - refrain from making helms too big. Helms are always a heated discussion, especially when they are large.
    I'd replace "helm" with "shoulders" to be honest.
    Helms can be hidden, shoulders can't. The helm, shoulder and chest combination are pretty much all that really makes a big visual difference to your character, and the chest is usually just a texture rather than a full model.

Deleted
    Letting you pick the appearance would only work in "safe" zones such as your own cities and raids. (ie places where you have to actively choose to participate in PvP).

The second you add PvP to the mix this will fail since people could be using PvE gear (or PvP gear and just use the skin of the counterpart) or to add even more confusion to the mix, older sets which makes you look like your gear is crap when in reality your in full XY effectively tricking people into either attacking you due to not displaying your proper gear or tricking them into not attacking you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peentu View Post
    As usual, the new tier gear has been released and the QQ has started. Im not sure how hard this would be for Blizz, but they should put something into the game that allows you to keep the stats of the current tier gear you have, but change the appearance to match the previously released tiers. They already have items in the game that proc entire character transformations yet keep the stats from their gear, so I was just curious if they could actually accomplish this. They could even require you to actually get the peice of previous tier gear to unlock the ability to change your current tier gears graphic. I think this would add alot of customization to a game that seems to be a little short on it.
    People have been asking for some version of this for years. I'd love to see a system like DC online, where you can keep anylook you've already obtained, but use the stats of the most up to date gear. People that say "what about the art teams hard work?", what about all the work that the same team put into older sets that are getting passed over? To the people that say "It's unfair to disguise gear" well, that just sounds like you're scared of getting whipped when you try to gank some guy in crap gear and it turns out more fair fight than a gank. Besides you should prolly realize something is up when you see an 85 in gear from BC.
    I personally love the Kor'kron guard stuff, and would rather use that look than any of the teir stuff.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    They're thinking about it but its not as simple as clicking a "save gear button" they'd have to incorporate it into their code.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavastrasz View Post
    you are wrong, this won't happen anytime soon.
    what they said was that they are going to give players more freedom in the sense of appearence, but they wont let us put t12 stats on t2 appearence or any other kind of gear. it was already to much for them to give us designable cloaks or even dyes for gear - you can bet that they won't allow any "disguise" of good gear.
    This. We will never see anything like DCUO's system. In WoW, the look of your gear shows your progression. Its kind of like a status symbol.

Deleted
    I think that system is shit. It just ruins the point in tiers, and takes away the excitement from getting new tiers per major raid patch.

I hope they don't finish it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    This. We will never see anything like DCUO's system. In WoW, the look of your gear shows your progression. Its kind of like a status symbol.
    Because nothing says my hunter is awesome like wearing the exact same clothes as everybody else.
    No, let me wear what I want, and the DPS counter is all the status symbol I need.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by ostjaevel View Post
    Letting you pick the appearance would only work in "safe" zones such as your own cities and raids. (ie places where you have to actively choose to participate in PvP).

The second you add PvP to the mix this will fail since people could be using PvE gear (or PvP gear and just use the skin of the counterpart) or to add even more confusion to the mix, older sets which makes you look like your gear is crap when in reality your in full XY effectively tricking people into either attacking you due to not displaying your proper gear or tricking them into not attacking you.
    The easy way to fix this is make it a spell to activate the displayed set, that can't be used in Battlegrounds or Arenas. Things aren't really balanced on world pvp, so attacking somebody is always at your own risk. A "disguise" isn't going to change that. And even if they were disguised, their health values would be a pretty dead give-away in most cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Alas, sweet prince! You hath received thine own ass handed to ye.